Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Gandhi Intl. / Delhi / DEL: AA First or CO Business / J?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2009, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb
Thanks for all the responses. I'm surprised to hear that the catering is basically the same between J and F on AA.
It is and it isn't. The main course choices will be the same, but presentation is much nicer and portion sizes are larger in F. The starters are nicer in F too, a smoked salmon cart and a salad cart. And desert in F is a made-to-order ice cream sundae with choice of toppings; I think they're still just doing a prepared ice cream scoop in a glass in J.

I guess I should be a little more clear in my posting, I am comparing CO J and AA F. I know that the F seat will be better. I guess the question is - is the AA F worth possibly missing DL Platinum (or the new fourth tier) this year? The 14,000 or so elite miles might be the difference to me.
Well that's a personal question. Is a somewhat better experience for 16 or so hours of you life worth sacrificing a better experience for the next 12 months? I'd probably stick with CO as elite status is very important to me, and I find CO J on the 777 to be a very good product. However, if you just can't sleep on the lie-flat slanted seats, then you might be better off on AA.

One more question - how is the IFE on AA in F? Did I see that they still use tapes up front??
No, the tapes are long gone. It's touch screen AVOD. So is CO, but the CO system is better, IMHO. I think they have like 250 movies (although a lot of them are "classics" like Casablanca or Godfather).
Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:03 pm

No one can tell the OP how important maintaining status is to him/her, compared to getting a better seat. All I can say is that on such a long flight the seat counts for a lot. In particular, coming back (1am-5am), I would love to be able to stretch out and sleep for a long time, and AA's slantboard J seats just don't do the job. I have not flown CO so can't compare.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Thanks again for all the responses, very helpful.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by JohnFortWorth
Yup. It books into A. ExpertFlyer lists the fare as DLXRTUP. The base fare is 8756.00. It looks like it's only offered Sun to Thurs.
Wow! I feel like a real schnook, having only spent $1496 for SFO-ORD-DEL r/t, then using 2 eVIPs to get what someone wants to spend $4500 to $8k for. As for Mrs.G, it cost 200k RDMs for her award ticket, incl. the F segments back from India. Are we cheapskates or what?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by billgrates3
Wow! I feel like a real schnook, having only spent $1496 for SFO-ORD-DEL r/t, then using 2 eVIPs to get what someone wants to spend $4500 to $8k for. As for Mrs.G, it cost 200k RDMs for her award ticket, incl. the F segments back from India. Are we cheapskates or what?
If you are a cheapskate, then I'm a double cheapskate!

I've upgraded twice in this year on that exact itinerary (SFO-ORD-DEL r/t). Capacity on the DEL flights in J and F are generally light from my experience.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by mvedda
If you are a cheapskate, then I'm a double cheapskate!

I've upgraded twice in this year on that exact itinerary (SFO-ORD-DEL r/t). Capacity on the DEL flights in J and F are generally light from my experience.
Solidarity of the cheapskates, right on!

... agreed about the capacity issue, J was not full either way - in fact coming back DEL-ORD, J was only about 2/3 full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.