Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Gandhi Intl. / Delhi / DEL: AA First or CO Business / J?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
To Gandhi Intl. / Delhi / DEL: AA First or CO Business / J?

Flying to DEL from New York. I am not too familiar with AA F, and am wondering if it is worth a connection in ORD, instead of my normal nonstop on CO (J). Not a consideration is miles/ EQMs. Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
That's a no brainer, for that long of a flight I would gladly take the ORD connection to get on AA.

The service level isn't that much above what you'll find in AA or CO J, but AA's 777 Flagship Suite seat is way ahead of CO's 777 BF seat.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That's a no brainer, for that long of a flight I would gladly take the ORD connection to get on AA.

The service level isn't that much above what you'll find in AA or CO J, but AA's 777 Flagship Suite seat is way ahead of CO's 777 BF seat.
I agree that AA F's seat is much better and service levels are similar, but I definitely disagree that it's a no-brainer to take a connection, in ORD no less, particularly in the winter. I can sleep fine in CO's 777, so I'm not sure I'd do the connection, which at best adds ~3 hrs to the trip and worst strands you in ORD.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:41 am

Absolutely AA F over CO J.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:48 am
Suspended

AA F between these two. Are those your only choices? Can you take an EU carrier in F, or 9W, or the new AI non-stop??
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Faced with this decision last year i did the AA connection, primarliy due to a cheaper fare (paid J and VIP to F.) The DEL flight from ORD was delayed then cancelled, resulting in an overnight in ORD and a lost day. (Note this risk exists on the nonstop too but the connection makes it worse.) On the return the last thing i wanted to do after the 14 hour flight was mope around ORD for an hour and then take a 2 hour flight. So I would vote for the CO option.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
AA F between these two. Are those your only choices? Can you take an EU carrier in F, or 9W, or the new AI non-stop??
No, none of those other carriers are allowed by my firm.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Babu
No, none of those other carriers are allowed by my firm.
Well, if your firm allows paid F, I would do AA F, for the bed.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:47 am

I would not even consider AA - chance of delays is significant and you're adding hours to you itin. (maybe up to 6 in some cases).
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by erik123
I would not even consider AA - chance of delays is significant and you're adding hours to you itin. (maybe up to 6 in some cases).
I agree; connecting would be pain compared to the marginal benefit of flying AA F (assuming of course that price, miles, etc. aren't a consideration). Plus, on the return you would have to claim any checked baggage at customs, change terminals, and re-clear security.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

i definitely agree....of course it depends on your side too..but for me the AA suite is way better than CO J.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Last time I flew to DEL was on CO and Mrs. DCATravel was on AA through Chicago. Her flights left ontime and my connection flight was canceled from IAD to EWR. Only CO flight they could find for me was five days later but I was able to move to Lufthansa for the outbound. I did the return on CO and it was a great flight.

Moral of the story, it's a crap shoot no matter which you go with based on the need for a connection. Missed the ORD flight due to weather and missed the EWR flight due to weather as well.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Absolutely AA F over CO J.
+2 or 3 really a no brainer as previously stated. AA's Flagship suite is amazing.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
AA's Flagship suite is amazing.
No. It's a B+ F seat with C- F service. Let's not get crazy.

I guess the question to the OP is: can you sleep fine in the CO BF seat? If so, it probably makes sense to stick with CO J.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DCATravel
Last time I flew to DEL was on CO and Mrs. DCATravel was on AA through Chicago. Her flights left ontime and my connection flight was canceled from IAD to EWR. Only CO flight they could find for me was five days later but I was able to move to Lufthansa for the outbound. I did the return on CO and it was a great flight.

Moral of the story, it's a crap shoot no matter which you go with based on the need for a connection. Missed the ORD flight due to weather and missed the EWR flight due to weather as well.
He's starting in EWR so that's not an issue. Cancellations of this flight from EWR are rare AFAIK (as are delays).

Besides - you have to deal with ORD if on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.