Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 people flying same day, same Advantage #?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; AA Gold
2 people flying same day, same Advantage #?

I used to fly often, now rarely. My dad RARELY ever flies. We have the same name, with slightly different middle names. In order to prevent my dad's miles from going to waste, when he does fly once every 1-2 years, he flies under my FF account. Now, in JAN, he's coming to visit and when he returns home, I'm also flying separately to another location. I've already requested upgrades for my dad as a treat.
My question: Can I get miles when I fly, or must I fly as a non-member, so the computer doesn't alert someone? Can 2 peole fly on the same day to different locations under the same account number?
Additionally, while I don't expect to be able to get miles for my flight on the same date as my dad's, went I arrive at my conference, I'd like to call AA to request exit rows for my return flight and get mileage credit - would that create a problem if they automatically try to credit my entire trip for miles?
Thanks for any insights.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Welcome to FT.

Let me be the first to say (because others will follow) that you are certainly in violation of airline policies, and this all could end up backfiring. I'd stick with the ill gotten booty received so far and discontinue doing this so as not to have all of the miles lost and accounts frozen through a slip up.

And I'd definitely not try to get miles for two people flying the same day. That's a sure recipe for disaster.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome!

Not any real insight to share here, except what you propose is in violation of AAdvantage terms and conditions and could easily result in closed accounts, confiscated miles, etc. (AAdvantage Audit dept. has folks tasked with cruising eBay, Craig's List, here, etc. to help look for these as well.)

I don't think you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I agree with all of the previous posts. AA officials do monitor this forum and have acted based on postings that indicate violations of AAdvantage Terms & Conditions. Clearly, you are violating these T&C, and possibly the Conditions of Carriage as well by having two passengers posing as one.

I join the others in strongly advising you to cease defrauding AA immediately if you wish to keep your miles and AAdvantage account.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:30 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
So, in other words, remove your FF number from your dad's itinerary and be happy you haven't been caught. If you want to upgrade him, remove those upgrade requests and use your miles.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bauserjm
I used to fly often, now rarely. My dad RARELY ever flies. We have the same name, with slightly different middle names. In order to prevent my dad's miles from going to waste, when he does fly once every 1-2 years, he flies under my FF account. Now, in JAN, he's coming to visit and when he returns home, I'm also flying separately to another location. I've already requested upgrades for my dad as a treat.
My question: Can I get miles when I fly, or must I fly as a non-member, so the computer doesn't alert someone? Can 2 peole fly on the same day to different locations under the same account number?
Additionally, while I don't expect to be able to get miles for my flight on the same date as my dad's, went I arrive at my conference, I'd like to call AA to request exit rows for my return flight and get mileage credit - would that create a problem if they automatically try to credit my entire trip for miles?
Thanks for any insights.
You've alreayd said too much.. And the phrasing of your question lets me know you already knew the right answer..

Good Luck to you.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Chiming in with the others. Also, I would recommend you not have your FF# added to your record after flying the outbound - just opens you up to all the issues cited above.

I would suggest you review this thread for ideas on how to keep your dad's miles from expiring.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
AA officials do monitor this forum and have acted based on postings that indicate violations of AAdvantage Terms & Conditions.
With one post i doubt he has blazed a trail that anyone could follow- the bogeyman is not hiding under the bed, at least not every night.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
No, do not do it.

Originally Posted by bauserjm
Can 2 peole fly on the same day to different locations under the same account number?
You are asking for far too much trouble. Have you thought of the embarassment your dad may have when he flies back home on the same day you are planning on departing? That along is not worth the hazzle. There are many other ways to keep his miles active, with out actually flying. Just don't do it. You have opened your self up for trouble. I know that some people will latter on chime in saying that they've done it in the past and gotten away with, but that will not always be the case. There are plenty of others that have been caught, delayed at the gate, and questioned for this. Forget it. I would not even try it. There is far too much check point, security check, orange alerts, to add to this.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
With one post i doubt he has blazed a trail that anyone could follow- the bogeyman is not hiding under the bed, at least not every night.
One never knows but it is not a good idea to do this. This type of circumstance probably does not require clandestine methods to identify and it simply comes out on the reports. Find better ways to retain your mileage, it is easy.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
Years ago (early 90s) we had to purchase a new return flight ticket for my sister when my travel agent tried to help me by putting my frequent flyer number on her tickets. AA noticed the problem and would not let her board.

It is just not a good idea.

-Mike

PS I don't use travel agents anymore.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Actually, you won't even get to the plane. The AA system runs checks every night, and when it sees that you're ticketed to fly to two different places, it will cancel one of the flights. Sometimes they just cancel the second flight without notification. Other times they will call you and ask which one you're planning on flying...

I agree with the other posters here. This is an awful idea. Don't make your dad fly as you. Not good.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
To those of you who think the newbee OP is worried about his dad's miles expiring, I suggest that not wanting the miles to "go to waste" means that his dad has no miles because dad has always flown using son's FF#. However, now the two will both be flying on the same date on impossible itins. And he is looking for a work-around that will get him the maximum miles and allow both to UG.

Your collective suggestions are on-point: Don't. But as someone suggested, that is not the answer he was looking for.

I understand the situation because my son and I have similar names - and we work together in a family business. We have different FF#s in all airline programs. We share/transfer awards; but never tried to do what the OP did - with an airline. However, we do it occasionally with hotel loyalty programs, e.g., when there is a promotion requiring X stays in Y time (think Hyatt).
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kappa
To those of you who think the newbee OP is worried about his dad's miles expiring, I suggest that not wanting the miles to "go to waste" means that his dad has no miles because dad has always flown using son's FF#. However, now the two will both be flying on the same date on impossible itins. And he is looking for a work-around that will get him the maximum miles and allow both to UG.

Your collective suggestions are on-point: Don't. But as someone suggested, that is not the answer he was looking for.

I understand the situation because my son and I have similar names - and we work together in a family business. We have different FF#s in all airline programs. We share/transfer awards; but never tried to do what the OP did - with an airline. However, we do it occasionally with hotel loyalty programs, e.g., when there is a promotion requiring X stays in Y time (think Hyatt).
Well, if his name really is J.M. Bauser, I think it's an exceptionally poor idea at this point.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
Well, if his name really is J.M. Bauser, I think it's an exceptionally poor idea at this point.
Isn't this the guy in San Diego that sells stuff on Ebay, also as bauserjm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.