Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to prevent miles expiring -- without thinking about it.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:17 am
Original Poster

How to prevent miles expiring -- without thinking about it.

There is a long thread discussing the new 18-month expiration policy. But I thought I would start another (hopefully more concise) thread with the specific goal of documenting strategies for ensuring that your miles don't expire.

Yes, there are the obvious ones like fly AA once every 18 months, or use a AA credit card. But I'm trying to manage the accounts of my kids (too young for a creidt card) and elderly mother (last flight/activity on AAdvantage was Dec 05) and their miles will expire if I don't keep a close eye on things.

I'm thinking of something I can put on autopilot. For example, invest $2,500 (the minimum) in an American Beacon Mileage money market account will generate a monthly mileage deposit. But I'd need to set up multiple accounts and park the money there at slightly less than competitive rates.

Any other ideas?

DAK
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
If dogs can get credit cards, so can your kids.. even if they are young. Food for thought
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:37 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
But you still have to use it, whereas the money market fund is automatic. Of course if you use each kid's account to pay one automated bill, then you're good. Still the hassle of paying the bills each month, something the money market fund again eliminates.

So, it brings the corollary question: What mileage earning activities are totally automatic?

Cheers.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
For Texas/DFW residents:

GEXA Energy - They draft my credit card automatically each month for my electric bill and give me AAdvantage miles.

Tom Thumb - Link your Reward card to your AAdvantage account.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by brp
Still the hassle of paying the bills each month
You could set up an automatic payment for the credit card from a checking account, and literally never have to touch it, except when it expires, and/or to check for annual fee issues.

This would work well for a very predictable expense like a health club membership or car insurance.

Another option to consider is that BankDirect deal if it's still around. Might be a nice equivalent to the old passbook accounts for a kid.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:03 am

I use Aadvantage Eshopping https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/?src=aaprintdirect for my children's accounts with AA and Delta Skymiles Shopping.com for DL http://skymilesshopping.com/Go.aspx?...MFMDHCJCGCPFLA
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee
I use Aadvantage Eshopping https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/?src=aaprintdirect for my children's accounts with AA and Delta Skymiles Shopping.com for DL http://skymilesshopping.com/Go.aspx?...MFMDHCJCGCPFLA
But doesn't that necessarily involve thinking about it, since one must then remember to go to those websites first?

Mike
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:32 am
Suspended

www.opinionplace.com
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Get the Citi bronze card (no annual fee) and set up a small transaction you have to auto-bill to it every month. You can also set up that card to auto-debit your checking account for the balance.

Frankly, you probably don't even need to pay off an entire bill with it if one of your payees accepts multiple payments every month - just have them auto bill $5 to the Citi bronze. You could even do it 3 times to 3 different Citi cards to take care of the kids and Mom. It'd be annoying to set up (and you'd have credit issues with that many cards), but it would work.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
Another option to consider is that BankDirect deal if it's still around. Might be a nice equivalent to the old passbook accounts for a kid.
BankDirect still pays miles every month on checking and money market accounts. Minimums are $2500 and $10,000 respectively. If you decide to try this, make sure someone refers you so you'll get an extra 1000 miles. (I'll be happy to do it. )

If you just have trouble remembering to keep accounts active, then make a rule for yourself --- like to buy an iTunes song for everyone during the holidays. Or transfer 1 mile from somewhere with points.com.

Last edited by rrgg; Jun 5, 2007 at 11:35 am
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 3.2 MM, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
This is not an autopilot solution, but I rotate my car rentals through my wife and kids AA accounts as well as through the airline accounts I don't fly much.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:50 am
Community Director Emerita

Set up an Idine account for each person linked to a different credit card that you use.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by brp
But you still have to use it
Cheers.
No you don't. If the card has an annual fee, it will be added to the bill each year. The fee collects miles. Problem solved.

However, I don't think the kids can have their own credit cards. You will need to apply and then have cards made for them, and the miles will have to be credited to you. Why not just put something in your Outlook reminding you to buy 1k miles every Jan 1?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by JumboD
No you don't. If the card has an annual fee, it will be added to the bill each year. The fee collects miles. Problem solved.

However, I don't think the kids can have their own credit cards. You will need to apply and then have cards made for them, and the miles will have to be credited to you. Why not just put something in your Outlook reminding you to buy 1k miles every Jan 1?
Card fees, interest, and cash advances do not earn miles.

Last edited by aamilesslave; Jun 5, 2007 at 12:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:17 pm

Miles from rental cars.

I have my National car rentals post to my CO account just to keep the 60K miles I have out there alive, you could do the same with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.