Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The U.K. Air Passenger Duty / APD is "a duty of Excise which is levied on the carriage, from a UK airport, of chargeable passengers on chargeable aircraft... The amount due is dependent on the final destination and class of travel of the chargeable passenger... The reduced rates apply where the passengers are carried in the lowest class of travel on any flight unless the seat pitch exceeds 1.016 metres (40 inches), in which case, whether there is one or more than one class of travel the standard rates apply." Link. Those in transit from other countries are exempt.

As of 01 Apr 2012, the APD is:
  • Band A (0 to 2,000 miles): Reduced 13, Standard 26
  • Band B (2,001 to 4,000 miles) (e.g. USA, Canada): Reduced 65, Standard 130
  • Band C (4,001 to 6,000 miles): Reduced 81, Standard 162
  • Band D (over 6,000 miles): Reduced 92, Standard 184
As of 01 Apr 2013 will be:
  • Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) 13 Reduced, 26 Standard (no change)
  • Band B (2,001 to 4,000 miles) (e.g. USA, Canada): Reduced 62, Standard 134
  • Band C (4,001 to 6,000 miles): Reduced 83, Standard 166
  • Band D (over 6,000 miles): Reduced 94, Standard 188
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty and increases again - Apr 1 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I've searched the threads and wasn't sure I have the correct answer.

I've traveled upgraded flights with a connection in LHR in the past and wasn't subjected to the luxury tax. Now I want to purchase a ticket from the U.S. to LHR, upgrade with EVIP and connect to a business class award ticket from LHR to NBO - no stop over either direction. A couple questions:

1. Given these are 2 distinct PNRs, am I subject to the tax and if so, is it both directions?

2. If I purchase a fare (ORD-LHR-BRU/FRA/ZRH) and then an award (BRU-LHR-NBO) would this avoid the tax? Even if I use a stop in BRU, FRA, or ZRH?

Thanks
1. It's a departure tax (Air Passenger Duty or APD), so it will apply to your award departure LHR-NBO, and then again on your paid return from LHR to the US. The tax is payable whichever class of service you book, it's just higher for premium cabins (J and F). It may be possible to have the PNRs linked in such a way that this is regarded as a connection rather than a separate arrival and departure, in which case the tax should not be payable. Others on the board may have more detailed information, and I believe there is at least one other thread that deals with this.

2. Yes, since your LHR departures are now considered as connections and not separate departures.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Before ticketing either of the two, I'd recommend calling the EXP desk and simply asking them to book the whole trip in one PNR. If you ticket both the award & the revenue component at the same time, even though they will indeed be two separate tickets, the UK-APD will NOT be charged in either direction (asuming same-day transits), as both ticket numbers will contain reference to eachother, in the form of a shared record locater. If for some reason the itinerary autoprices with the APD included, ask the EXP agent to have the Tariff desk manually adjust it.

Unless you have a specific desire to visit mainland Europe, there's no APD-related need to spend a day flying back & forth to a third country (especially given the timing of the NBO flight, which would necessarily cause an overnight somewhere).
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: Various
The Flyerguide Wiki comes in pretty handy for most questions (IMO) Give it a whirl and see if this gives more definitive info: Flyerguide Wiki - AA Upgrade Taxes
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by checkerboard
Before ticketing either of the two, I'd recommend calling the EXP desk and simply asking them to book the whole trip in one PNR. If you ticket both the award & the revenue component at the same time, even though they will indeed be two separate tickets, the UK-APD will NOT be charged in either direction (asuming same-day transits), as both ticket numbers will contain reference to eachother, in the form of a shared record locater. If for some reason the itinerary autoprices with the APD included, ask the EXP agent to have the Tariff desk manually adjust it.

Unless you have a specific desire to visit mainland Europe, there's no APD-related need to spend a day flying back & forth to a third country (especially given the timing of the NBO flight, which would necessarily cause an overnight somewhere).
Thanks, I did call the EXP desk and this is what I was told:

Yes, they can combine a paid ticket with a connecting award ticket but they cannot combine a paid ticket, an award, and a SWU on the same PNR. They can cross reference the paid ticket/SWU and the award ticket from 2 PNRs to show a connection and thus avoid the luxury tax.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Eurostar CB
Taxes ex LHR.

Pricing up a LHR>JFK return, and seeing the following:

LHR > JFK : 173 USD
JFK > LHR : 149 USD

Taxes.... 162.20 USD

WTH?

Where does 100 GBP of taxes & fees come from?

(i did a quick search and found nothing...)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by imajes
Pricing up a LHR>JFK return, and seeing the following:

LHR > JFK : 173 USD
JFK > LHR : 149 USD

Taxes.... 162.20 USD

WTH?

(i did a quick search and found nothing...)
It must have been an extremely quick search. Her Majesty needs your loot - it is part of the British Government's plan (thay call plans "schemes" over there) to keep people from flying so much. Right now, they are discussing whether to raise it, as people insist on flying anyway, particularly tourists keep flying to Britian and spending money there.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:56 pm

It was a quick search, but 'uk taxes' just spat back every thread.

I didn't know we were so keen on the taxes; i know we have luxury taxes on upgrades etc, but i didn't know there were such high rate taxes for base prices.

That's going to make travel suck pretty hard; being based in london, i return 3-4 times a year during my travel; that's a rather large amount of gratuity to my annoying government.

Anyone considered getting eurostar or a cheap airline to fly to paris or similar and then embarking from there?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:06 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know we were so keen on the taxes; i know we have luxury taxes on upgrades etc, but i didn't know there were such high rate taxes for base prices.

That's going to make travel suck pretty hard; being based in london, i return 3-4 times a year during my travel; that's a rather large amount of gratuity to my annoying government.

Anyone considered getting eurostar or a cheap airline to fly to paris or similar and then embarking from there?
The French have high taxes as well.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:08 pm

Sure, well.... CDG, FRA, MAD. All reasonable connection points.... (but that makes me wonder if the taxes are actually EU mandated or UK mandated. hmm....)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Sure, well.... CDG, FRA, MAD. All reasonable connection points.... (but that makes me wonder if the taxes are actually EU mandated or UK mandated. hmm....)
If you are connecting through the rest of the E.U. (or all of Europe/EEA?) on the same ticket within 24 hrs of the intermediate point, you pay the whole whack.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If you are connecting through the rest of the E.U. (or all of Europe/EEA?) on the same ticket within 24 hrs of the intermediate point, you pay the whole whack.
Good to know. I'd probably just jump on eurostar and hang out in paris for a few days before getting a cheap ride to somewhere else and then connecting to my destination..
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Good to know. I'd probably just jump on eurostar and hang out in paris for a few days before getting a cheap ride to somewhere else and then connecting to my destination..
So would the additional days of food/lodging, etc. in Paris be less than simply paying the taxes? I somehow struggle to believe that.

Additionally, I'm a bit confused; you're an AA EXP, traveling out of LHR "3-4 times a year" if I'm understanding your post correctly and you are just now noticing the taxes?

Regards
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Taxes.... 162.20 USD

WTH?

U.K. Air Passenger Duty (determined by distance between London and capital of "final" destination) GBP45
Airport usage fees (payable to BAA) GBP 12.80

There are U.S. arrival fees in addition
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do know that if you put it in the way you typed it above, the search engine would ignore the 'uk' part and return every reference to taxes, right? To get the search engine to actually use a search term of three letters or less, you have to put it in double quotes ("XXX"),

All Europe has high taxes, but for air travel taxes, the British lead the E.U., probably because the other countries see air travel taxes as a way to punish their successful citizens, where the British see them as a way to reduce the amount of air travel. Unfortunately, the price elasticity of demand for air travel seems to be high enough that the British have not yet reached a tipping point.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
U.K. Air Passenger Duty (determined by distance between London and capital of "final" destination) GBP45
Airport usage fees (payable to BAA) GBP 12.80

There are U.S. arrival fees in addition
Your information is partial.
Band 1 (Zero-2000 miles) 2009 = GBP 11, 2010 GBP 12
Band 2 (2001-4000 miles) 2009 = GBP 45, 2010 GBP 60
Band 3 (4001-6000 miles) 2009 = GBP 50, 2010 GBP 75
Band 4 (over 6000 miles ) 2009 = GBP 55, 2010 GBP 85.

These are the duties for the least expensive class of travel. Everything else is twice as much. Presumably, that would include even WT+ on BA.

I think the 2009 rates became effective Nov. 1, 2009, and the 2010 rates Nov. 1, 2010.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.