FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK APD / Air Passenger Duty and increases again - Apr 1 2012
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:54 am
photodave

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I've searched the threads and wasn't sure I have the correct answer.

I've traveled upgraded flights with a connection in LHR in the past and wasn't subjected to the luxury tax. Now I want to purchase a ticket from the U.S. to LHR, upgrade with EVIP and connect to a business class award ticket from LHR to NBO - no stop over either direction. A couple questions:

1. Given these are 2 distinct PNRs, am I subject to the tax and if so, is it both directions?

2. If I purchase a fare (ORD-LHR-BRU/FRA/ZRH) and then an award (BRU-LHR-NBO) would this avoid the tax? Even if I use a stop in BRU, FRA, or ZRH?

Thanks
1. It's a departure tax (Air Passenger Duty or APD), so it will apply to your award departure LHR-NBO, and then again on your paid return from LHR to the US. The tax is payable whichever class of service you book, it's just higher for premium cabins (J and F). It may be possible to have the PNRs linked in such a way that this is regarded as a connection rather than a separate arrival and departure, in which case the tax should not be payable. Others on the board may have more detailed information, and I believe there is at least one other thread that deals with this.

2. Yes, since your LHR departures are now considered as connections and not separate departures.