Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traditional Meal Times on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Is that unusual? I thought all transcons always served breakfast, lunch or dinner throughout the day until after 7:30PM when a snack is served.

The one that always miffs me is ORD-LAX in the early afternoons. It says "snack" for F meals but I always remember these flights offering fairly substantive meals even during snack hours in the afternoon.

- T
I think "lunch" is a term that is used very loosely by AA with respect to transcons. I took one a couple months ago from SFO-BOS that left around 1pm that was definitely categorized as a "lunch" flight. Lunch was a salad with either a soggy sandwich that you might get in your lunch box in fourth grade, or a plate of cold cuts. I suppose what they served could technically be called "lunch" but it was certainly not the lunch you would expect on a first class transcon.

I don't know why, but of late, I've found the transcon lunch meals, and sometimes even the dinner meals, to be less appetizing than what you get SFO-DFW, or SFO-ORD for lunch/dinner.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by nbevan
No obvious logic in:
AA 1476 DFW Nov 30 03:55 PM DCA Nov 30 07:35 PM M80 First Snack or Brunch
AA 1442 ORD Nov 30 04:25 PM DCA Nov 30 07:10 PM M80 First Dinner
A systematic list of meal flights is not really possible because the table of windows is only a minimum list. Some flights get "upgraded" meals for competitive reasons. ORD-PHL used to be like that, I recall. Perhaps ORD-DCA is more competitive than DFW-DCA...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AGSF
I think "lunch" is a term that is used very loosely by AA with respect to transcons. I took one a couple months ago from SFO-BOS that left around 1pm that was definitely categorized as a "lunch" flight. Lunch was a salad with either a soggy sandwich that you might get in your lunch box in fourth grade, or a plate of cold cuts. I suppose what they served could technically be called "lunch" but it was certainly not the lunch you would expect on a first class transcon.

I don't know why, but of late, I've found the transcon lunch meals, and sometimes even the dinner meals, to be less appetizing than what you get SFO-DFW, or SFO-ORD for lunch/dinner.
I believe the trade off is that on the transcons you get that very nice gloss menu instead of a real meal.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by LTRS
In my experience they are catered according to the originally scheduled departure time.
Mine as well, even to the point of hilarity.

In 2000, we were scheduled on DFW-SCL (Santiago, Chile) when it was still served by the MD11. We were waiting in the AC for our 9pm departure, and had just decided to head for the gate. The place for the "status" had just changed to read "Now 9.00a" which seemed as if it must be a mistake. We headed for the gate to find out that the inbound aircraft went mechanical, and, since only LGW, FRA, and GRU (?) could produce another M11, we had to wait for the first one to arrive, which would be the morning arrival of the redeye from GRU.

We went back to the AC and were one of the first accommodated in rooms at the Hyatt where we had a nice night's sleep. The poor GAs had to issue vouchers or somesuch for an entire widebody.

The catering items were, to the best of my knowledge, put on dry ice. This flight was originally scheduled to have Dinner and Breakfast, and IIRC, the FA served dinner after departure at 9am and breakfast later that day, as was advertised in the menu. But since the food had been on dry ice all night, the potatoes in my meal heated on the outside and were still frozen on the inside when served. It was quite a bizarre experience, but for me it remains the primary reason I stay an AC member: help with IRROPS. Yes, it's great to have a quiet place to sit, and I love the free wi-fi, but the AAngels have done the most to help when times were most dire.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’ll be flying SEA-MIA and return in a few months. Both flights are outside the dinner window, so I understand these are snack rather than meal services. But despite the helpful information in this thread I’m still not sure what the service will be, particularly as these are effectively transcons and quite long segments – will I get more than a cookie and a soda?

The flights are:
1) SEA-MIA: Redeye departing 9:30pm, arriving 6:30am
2) MIA-SEA: Departing 8:55pm, arriving 12:40am (+1)

To be fair, these are late flights and I will likely be happy enough snoozing, but if anyone can clarify the service I’d be grateful.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by daftboy
I’ll be flying SEA-MIA and return in a few months. Both flights are outside the dinner window, so I understand these are snack rather than meal services. But despite the helpful information in this thread I’m still not sure what the service will be, particularly as these are effectively transcons and quite long segments – will I get more than a cookie and a soda?

The flights are:
1) SEA-MIA: Redeye departing 9:30pm, arriving 6:30am
2) MIA-SEA: Departing 8:55pm, arriving 12:40am (+1)

To be fair, these are late flights and I will likely be happy enough snoozing, but if anyone can clarify the service I’d be grateful.
The traditional redeye snack choice is a cheese plate or a cold beef or salmon salad or a soup. Also go into your ticketed reservation and see if this flight allows you to preselect your meal.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sukn
The traditional redeye snack choice is a cheese plate or a cold beef or salmon salad or a soup. Also go into your ticketed reservation and see if this flight allows you to preselect your meal.
Thanks sukn, and for the tip about meal reservations – having checked my booking, I appear to be able to do this, but only within 30 days of travel. I guess at that point all will be revealed!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
Does anybody know why AA doesn't offer ksml on Mia-uio, and does offer gluten free or vegetarian? Seems like if it's a meal service they should offer kosher too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.