Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fake AA E-mail Warning! Phishing, malware, fraud, bogus, spoof etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE Wikipost instructions: members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may update it.

AA warns of phishing attempts to secure personal information for fraudulent activity. Many look like an e-mail with an attached ticket the recipient has allegedly purchased.

DO NOT CLICK on any links, including to the attachment, and do not call any number or follow any instructions, within the e-mail.

● DO forward a copy of the email, including the header to [email protected] so that AA can investigate further.
1. Keep the original subject line in the forward, and include the full text body.

2. Include the complete e-mail header if possible, -- Email programs often display abbreviated headers, but this link will show you how to see most full e-mail headers.
Link to aa.com page on phishing and fraud attempts

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Fake AA E-mail Warning! Phishing, malware, fraud, bogus, spoof etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Password Expiration Phish

I have been getting emails the past two weeks regarding my AA pasword expiring in the next few days. A link was provided to access and change my password. I forwarded this email to AA IT department and they indicated it to likely be a phishing scam. Has anyoned else received these emails?

To be safe, I accessed my account on the AA website and changed my password.I'm not aware of any AA password expiration policy.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Armani
I have been getting emails the past two weeks regarding my AA pasword expiring in the next few days. A link was provided to access and change my password. I forwarded this email to AA IT department and they indicated it to likely be a phishing scam. Has anyoned else received these emails?

To be safe, I accessed my account on the AA website and changed my password.I'm not aware of any AA password expiration policy.
It's phishing. Ignore and/or change your password on the genuine site.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
My fiancé received one this morning that was a little different. It said something about AA being unable to complete ticketing for a reservation she supposedly tried making for next August (she didn't). It gave a number to call that was neither the main res line nor the PLT line.

I told her not to click anything in there, but has anyone seen a phishing/spam email like this? I ask because if it's genuine that means someone else is trying to access her account.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:16 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
My fiancé received one this morning that was a little different. It said something about AA being unable to complete ticketing for a reservation she supposedly tried making for next August (she didn't). It gave a number to call that was neither the main res line nor the PLT line.

I told her not to click anything in there, but has anyone seen a phishing/spam email like this? I ask because if it's genuine that means someone else is trying to access her account.
Sometimes scammers send mass emailings (could be in the millions) and hope someone will "bite". Did the email reference her AA FF#?
What was the area code for the number given, sometimes when you call that number your phone acct gets "hit" with a hefty fee (which they get credit for)...try "googling" the number and see what happens.
[Example: I've gotten numerous emails about updating my acct info with Wells Fargo...I do NOT have any relationship with them.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.