Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Fake AA E-mail Warning! Phishing, malware, fraud, bogus, spoof etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE Wikipost instructions: members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may update it.

AA warns of phishing attempts to secure personal information for fraudulent activity. Many look like an e-mail with an attached ticket the recipient has allegedly purchased.

DO NOT CLICK on any links, including to the attachment, and do not call any number or follow any instructions, within the e-mail.

● DO forward a copy of the email, including the header to [email protected] so that AA can investigate further.
1. Keep the original subject line in the forward, and include the full text body.

2. Include the complete e-mail header if possible, -- Email programs often display abbreviated headers, but this link will show you how to see most full e-mail headers.
Link to aa.com page on phishing and fraud attempts

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Fake AA E-mail Warning! Phishing, malware, fraud, bogus, spoof etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz
Totally. Just figured since this one seems to be making the rounds this morning, and was verified by a few non-associated friends on FB, it might be worthy a thread - or at least a current warning in the forum where many of us tend to loiter...alot
Even better is to follow the reporting instruction noted in the OP moderator note that your thread has been merged into.

Even better notify your non-associated friends to do the same.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by magic111
Even better is to follow the reporting instruction noted in the OP moderator note that your thread has been merged into.
Really? Even better? Wow okay, you're welcome. BTW, did you think JDiver didn't cover what needed to be said?

Originally Posted by magic111
Even better notify your non-associated friends to do the same.
Not sure what this means? Since the Facebook friends I alluded to have nothing to do with FlyerTalk (as one can infer from my post). Or were you just trying to inject humor into an unfunny post, in hopes of lessening the severity of an unnecessary last word on a subject which JDiver covered quite succinctly.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz
Really? Even better? Wow okay, you're welcome. BTW, did you think JDiver didn't cover what needed to be said?

Not sure what this means? Since the Facebook friends I alluded to have nothing to do with FlyerTalk (as one can infer from my post). Or were you just trying to inject humor into an unfunny post, in hopes of lessening the severity of an unnecessary last word on a subject which JDiver covered quite succinctly.
From your post in response to JDiver it appeared to me that you felt nothing more to do than posting a thread here.

If I have misread my apologies and thanks for forwarding to [email protected]
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question Junk mail with virus affected zip file was sent from AA?

I've got the suspicious email from AA with email address [email protected] and an attached zip file. I have no idea what is going on and do not dare to open the file since I did not book the trip. Anyone please tell me if you receive the same email. Thanks!

Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:55:10 PM
To: XXXX@XXXdotcom(my email address)

Attachments: 1 attachment | Download all as zip (45.9 KB)
A_Airline_Ticket_ID.148-134-45.zip (45.9 KB)

Dear Customer,

E-TICKET NUMBER / 1 831 1277162348 1
SEAT / 42A/ZONE 1
DATE / TIME 27 JUNE, 2012, 10:39 AM
ARRIVING / Jackson
FORM OF PAYMENT / CC
TOTAL PRICE / 135.35 USD
REF / OE9967 ST / OK
BAG / 4PC

Your bought ticket is attached to the letter as a scan document.
To use your ticket you should print it.

Thank you for your attention.
American Airlines.

Last edited by GordonGordon; Jun 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I didn't receive it, but that email is not from AA. The grammar is a giveaway ("Your bought ticket is attached to the letter as a scan document."). The aa.com return address was likely spoofed.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...light=phishing
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/phishingEmails.jsp
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I received the following email:
Dear Customer,

FLIGHT NUMBER A36-241
DATE & TIME / JUNE 26, 2012, 11:126 PM
ARRIVING: NEW YORK JFK
TOTAL PRICE : 633.21 USD

Please download and print out your ticket here:
DOWNLOAD

Amercian Airlines{br[1-5]}

Notice how "American" is spelled.
gmail is my email provider--they flagged this message, with a warning there may be "bad" consequences if you open any attachments.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
This message has been around for some time with other airlines listed. Sorry to hear they are doing AA now since I haven't flown anyone else for many years.

SPAM mail has evolved quite a bit and they are getting very creative. I love the ones from the FBI stating my money from Nigeria has been vetted and ready to be picked up.

The authors are not only trying to get you to respond by using inticing notices, they are also using the old tried and true technique of web beacons tied to graphics. Fortunately Yahoo allows you to turn off automatically loading graphics. This way I can open the message and mouse over any links to see what address they are pointing to.

It's a shame there is no seek and destroy function to get these people to stop.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with the existing "phishing" thread so that we can keep track of all the scam occurrences in one place. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
AA email scam?

Has anybody received an email purportedly from AA, with the subject:

Order #ID8618 is processed

I am not able to embed am image of the booking that is shown in the body of the email, but if somebody points me to the appropriate FAQ for embedding a jpeg or pdf, I can do this.

My last flight on AA was in the 1990s, and I am sure this email is some kind of scam. But it does contain the AA logo and a return email at AA.

Who to report it to?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by transportprof

I am not able to embed am image of the booking that is shown in the body of the email, but if somebody points me to the appropriate FAQ for embedding a jpeg or pdf, I can do this.

My last flight on AA was in the 1990s, and I am sure this email is some kind of scam. But it does contain the AA logo and a return email at AA.

Who to report it to?
I've taken the liberty of merging your question into the consolidated thread on this topic.

~Moderator
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

Who to report it to?
Here is the official AA website about phishing scams.

http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/u...hingEmails.jsp

Anyone can lift a graphic off any website. Thus, any scammer can make their email look absolutely authentic with logos and other graphics.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
...Who to report it to?
Scammers are getting better and better at presenting tempting messages to get you to fall for their trap. The days of just looking at the horrible grammar or absurd message is over. The latest is visually perfect messages from LinkedIn, Facebook, and others. Most of mine end up in Yahoo!Mail so I'm able to mouse over the senders name or a link and see where they point.

As far as reporting it, don't waste your time. I've tried a few times and IF I'm lucky all I get back is a yes it's a scam message and to ignore it. There's just too many and mostly out of country so our laws don't apply, if any. Personally, I'd like to find a hit squad that could go out and fry every computer these guys use.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
= Most of mine end up in Yahoo!Mail so I'm able to mouse over the senders name or a link and see where they point.
You should be able to do that no matter where they end up, and it's a very easy way to tell real from fake emails, no matter how good they look. I don't have a facebook account, so I can tell that anything from there (even it really is from facebook) is spam

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
You should be able to do that no matter where they end up, and it's a very easy way to tell real from fake emails, no matter how good they look. I don't have a facebook account, so I can tell that anything from there (even it really is from facebook) is spam

Cheers.
AOL doesn't. And guess where most my spam shows up...

Yes, I love the messages from BofA requesting I confirm my account profile. Ain't got one of those there since I don't have an account! Some are obvious, but I can see it would be tempting by the less suspecting. Some are tricky by showing a link matching the message, but there is an underlying link taking you elsewhere.

i.e. http://www.flyertalk.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.