Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pitiful Service in F

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, UA GLD, Marriott GLD, Hyatt GLD
I have not seen meal service on MSY-DFW and vice versa in over a year.

I fly up front on AA and DL these days. AA so far wins in terms of meals served as well as FA service/behavior for the most part.

For the times when I do feel ignored for drinks, etc, if I'm in a window seat with someone next to me (and if they're napping/asleep), I will use the one weapon in my arsenal - the FA call button - !! FA Service has never been bad enough (yet) for me to complain. And I have also given out the applause thingees to some (deserving) FAs. I try and show my appreciation to those like slug...

That being said, I have complained to customer service via their online mechanism and gotten the ki$$-off. Helped me vent, though, so I guess we are somewhat even.

I must say though that pre-departure drinks on AA are rare (if at all) (not the case on DL).
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:22 am

I have 7 + Million miles with AA , EXP for last 15 years.

The F service have now reached a point ( domestic and international )
that made me take the decision to give up on my previously favorite airline.

Scary thing is they do not even bother to ask a full fare F customer why
he is not flying AA anymore.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by seat 1a
Who did you take your full fare F business to?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Any smart company, airline or otherwise, cares about retaining customers. I know that AA, as well as all airlines, are going through some tough times right now; this is even more the reason that AA should care about retaining its customers. Employees are the most important asset in any organization, but it is critical for key executives in organizations to continually underscore the importance of good customer service and to find ways to reward those that provide this service. I am a strong advocate of merit pay, but of course, there are other forms of rewards as well. I still am curious about the performance review process for FAs and what type of reward system they have (merit or seniority or combination). My guess is that if passenger' comments were factored into the FAs' raises (if any), there would be an improvement in the service received.

I have 7 + Million miles with AA , EXP for last 15 years.

The F service have now reached a point ( domestic and international )
that made me take the decision to give up on my previously favorite airline.

Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

EXP for last 15 years.
Here we go again.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Here we go again.
One should always quote their spend. It is just sooooo much more...... I can't find the word! (and impressive is not what I have in mind)
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Please Encourage me!

Hiya

I have been reading this thread with interest. I am a BA Executive Club member and have just booked my flight home to the UK for Christmas. I got a pretty good deal flying AA F from LAS-JFK and then BA Club to LHR. This will be the first time I have traveled AA and first time in anything other that economy on the US sector. A major factor for me was the ability to connect my bags at JFK and quite significantly the 180 Tier Points each way I will get ensuring I am silver by the time I get home!

I just wanted to ask - is AA First really that bad? I am not expecting a lie flat bed but would just like to get out of the hussle and bussle of the economy side, have a bit more leg room and perhaps a meal instead of nuts for the 5hr flight.

I see that there are 2 sides of the opinon on this thread - as there is on most threads. What I wondered is what I am likely to get on my LAS-JFK route - I have seen some of the others, namely DFW, but wondered if anyone had done this routing in First? It is a longer flight than most I guess and on the 757 but I just wonder if anyone with experience of this route could give me an idea of what to expect. I am not after an AA beasting - just some inside info!

Hope you don't mind me intruding on this thread.

Regards AKS
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wolf539
Who did you take your full fare F business to?
Obviously to UA domestic and LH international. Just like me, except that I went to CO for certain domestic trips.

The fact AA has a "meal window" for F is insane enough. Why not leaving the choice to the passenger if s/he wants to eat or not !? Why disadvantage someone who flies at 8 PM instead of 4 PM ?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

You'll get a wider seat and more leg room and probably some sort of a meal/snack on a 5 hour flight in F, but don't expect much in terms of quality, as AA has cut food costs. Service will be hit or miss, although for me recently, it has been more miss. If you don't expect too much, you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted by aks120
Hiya

I have been reading this thread with interest. I am a BA Executive Club member and have just booked my flight home to the UK for Christmas. I got a pretty good deal flying AA F from LAS-JFK and then BA Club to LHR. This will be the first time I have traveled AA and first time in anything other that economy on the US sector. A major factor for me was the ability to connect my bags at JFK and quite significantly the 180 Tier Points each way I will get ensuring I am silver by the time I get home!

I just wanted to ask - is AA First really that bad? I am not expecting a lie flat bed but would just like to get out of the hussle and bussle of the economy side, have a bit more leg room and perhaps a meal instead of nuts for the 5hr flight.

I see that there are 2 sides of the opinon on this thread - as there is on most threads. What I wondered is what I am likely to get on my LAS-JFK route - I have seen some of the others, namely DFW, but wondered if anyone had done this routing in First? It is a longer flight than most I guess and on the 757 but I just wonder if anyone with experience of this route could give me an idea of what to expect. I am not after an AA beasting - just some inside info!

Regards AKS
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
You've stumbled on a thread for complaining so you aren't exactly getting a positive spin on things. AA F isn't anything to be frightened of. LAS-JFK is a domestic flight so no lie flight seats, etc.. but you will be infinitely more comfortable in AA F than you would be in BA coach on a flight of a similar distance.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

You've stumbled on a thread that is painting a realistic picture of the current state of customer service at AA. Although we have differing opinions, almost all of us agree that the quality of service has deteriorated in recent months/years (see the thread that discusses how AA used to be).

Originally Posted by bdemaria
You've stumbled on a thread for complaining so you aren't exactly getting a positive spin on things. AA F isn't anything to be frightened of. LAS-JFK is a domestic flight so no lie flight seats, etc.. but you will be infinitely more comfortable in AA F than you would be in BA coach on a flight of a similar distance.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You've stumbled on a thread where you see lots of strong opinions, that's all.

I've spent some time in BA CE and in AA domestic F, and generally the service is more efficient in CE, more comfortable in AA F. The FAs on both have a tendency to fade from the scene when the scene is over, the food can be variable (don't expect a restaurant in the sky,) and theres' some variation in the soft product on both. Boarding will probably be a much better experience, though LAS has some marks against it because of its security queues and handling. (We won't even touch on the smoke and constant din of gaming machines - much, anyway.)

Some of us are leery of posting our satisfaction or good experiences here because we usually get labelled as apologists, etc. OTOH, some of us have pretty rough hides, so call me what you like, as long as it's not late for dinner...

Hiya

Regards AKS
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
You've stumbled on a thread that is painting a realistic picture of the current state of customer service at AA. Although we have differing opinions, almost all of us agree that the quality of service has deteriorated in recent months/years (see the thread that discusses how AA used to be).
But talking about what AA used to be like really won't help aks120 who is curious about their upcoming flight on AA in Dec. You rec'd poor service on a short flight recently. I can only speak for myself: in the past 3 years, I have not witnessed a noticeable "deterioration" in service (and by service I mean FA). Amenities - certainly less than they used to be.

To aks120: I fly AA domestic/int'l F/J and BA steerage. I find the former better than the latter.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by aceflyer2
Any smart company, airline or otherwise, cares about retaining customers. I know that AA, as well as all airlines, are going through some tough times right now; this is even more the reason that AA should care about retaining its customers. Employees are the most important asset in any organization, but it is critical for key executives in organizations to continually underscore the importance of good customer service and to find ways to reward those that provide this service. I am a strong advocate of merit pay, but of course, there are other forms of rewards as well. I still am curious about the performance review process for FAs and what type of reward system they have (merit or seniority or combination). My guess is that if passenger' comments were factored into the FAs' raises (if any), there would be an improvement in the service received.
But the industry has so many defectors that it really doesn't matter...as much as you think it would.

CO has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
UA has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
AA has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
B6 has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
US has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
DL has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
LUV has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
etc....

Just as one leaves, another comes in. Same thing happens at restaurants, people keep defecting to find something 'better'.

In today's current industry, unless the proper respect is handed down to it's employee's, you won't get that much respect at the lower levels. You will, but not like you did in yesteryear as this thread describes.

The SOS program was a decent program that employee's enjoyed. It meant something. It even promoted perfect attendance (not calling in sick and/or miss trips) when you had perfect attendance, and when you received more than 3 SOSs, you were able to turn them in to get prizes, as well as Confirmed Positive Space to anywhere in the world.

We were able to get discounts on products with the SOSs, an incentive to do good.

Not many FAs (or other work groups) really care for the current Applause program because it's not as worthy as the SOS program was. The Applause certs are good for an instant "THANK YOU" but other than that, they are useless.

Nothing is done with them other than hoping for a possibility of 20,000 miles in AAdvantage miles (which really doesn't mount to much for FAs) especially when there are huge restrictions on the rules on how/when to use them.

Back in the day, there use to be "check-rides" where supervisors would ride as pax, unbeknown to the crew, and would critique them. AA took that away since it took valuable seats away from the flying public.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I shoulda just kept my yap shut; you said it well. ^

I still resent the loss of the SOS program - a true example of short-term "bean counting" thinking that had huge long-term losses, IMO. I mentioned Herb Kelleher of WN (retired CEO) in another thread precisely because of respect - and leadership - issues. You could actually find Herb schlepping and checking baggage, issuing BPs, greeting pax onto a flight - the ultimate in leadership, in demonstrating "nothing is too good for any of us to do" and role modeling, not to mention when he worked to "catch people doing things right." "Inspiring" is the word.

Sluggo, have you seen Mr. Arpey performing any of those functions, ever? His ability to fly a personal aircraft is not the same... Can you tell us who amongst AA's management is "inspiring?"

And now I know what the music is I hear on boarding - it's merely AA's version of "Musical Chairs!" ROFL!

What AA used to do decades ago is completely immaterial - the government regulated for high fares, the airlines had lots of margin - so they could spend money on fancier, faster aircraft, fripperies and amenities that had little to do with getting us there.

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
But the industry has so many defectors that it really doesn't matter...as much as you think it would.

CO has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
UA has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
AA has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
B6 has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
US has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
DL has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
LUV has someone who is royally upset, defects to another carrier
etc....

Just as one leaves, another comes in. Same thing happens at restaurants, people keep defecting to find something 'better'.

In today's current industry, unless the proper respect is handed down to it's employee's, you won't get that much respect at the lower levels. You will, but not like you did in yesteryear as this thread describes.

The SOS program was a decent program that employee's enjoyed. It meant something. It even promoted perfect attendance (not calling in sick and/or miss trips) when you had perfect attendance, and when you received more than 3 SOSs, you were able to turn them in to get prizes, as well as Confirmed Positive Space to anywhere in the world.

We were able to get discounts on products with the SOSs, an incentive to do good.

Not many FAs (or other work groups) really care for the current Applause program because it's not as worthy as the SOS program was. The Applause certs are good for an instant "THANK YOU" but other than that, they are useless.

Nothing is done with them other than hoping for a possibility of 20,000 miles in AAdvantage miles (which really doesn't mount to much for FAs) especially when there are huge restrictions on the rules on how/when to use them.

Back in the day, there use to be "check-rides" where supervisors would ride as pax, unbeknown to the crew, and would critique them. AA took that away since it took valuable seats away from the flying public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.