Pitiful Service in F

Old Aug 11, 08, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Pitiful Service in F

Recently got back on a trip in F MSY-DFW-DEN and return in F. I must say the level of service in F is getting worse and worse. No smile, no greeting, no can I help you hang your jacket up, no predeparture drink, and of couse no food. The worst of all was that on one flight, the F flight attendant sat up front (after she served drinks) and heated her some soup and read a magazine almost the entire flight. The 2 flight attendents from the back apparently had a good deal of free time too since they came up front and talked to the F flight attendant for a long time. AA needs to start thinking about raising the quality of service or eliminate one of the attendant positions, if the FAA will allow it, since it is a waste of money to pay flight attendants to sit on their as**s for most of the flight. Instead the focus seems to be on gutting FF programs...

Last edited by aceflyer2; Aug 11, 08 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 11, 08, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I have noted that AA F service can't hold a candle as compared to CO F...which is a real shame. AA had better impress upon its employees that they are in a service business.
Old Aug 11, 08, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Get up and ask for a drink

If you get up and ask for a drink it often shames them into serving the entire cabin. If not, at least you get a drink.
Old Aug 11, 08, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
How do you know it's not a new service enhancement?

Seriously, if they gave away all of the beverages, do you know how much it would cost catering to restock?

And while the fuel needed to haul those heavy carts does add up, they have to save as many pennies wherever they can.
Old Aug 11, 08, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP+2MM & WN CP
This kinda puts the whole " hoping/praying for that last available F seat" in prespective!

Sad truth of air travel and frankly many of my midcon flights are similar! I just never bother posting about it since it's par for the course these days.
Old Aug 11, 08, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

The only reason these days I pay for a domestic first class ticket is that the seat is larger and there is more leg room, and I don't know that it is even worth it anymore.
Old Aug 11, 08, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by san2yul View Post
This kinda puts the whole " hoping/praying for that last available F seat" in prespective!

Sad truth of air travel and frankly many of my midcon flights are similar! I just never bother posting about it since it's par for the course these days.
It isn't par for the course for me.
Old Aug 11, 08, 12:23 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by aceflyer2 View Post
I must say the level of service in F is getting worse and worse. No smile, no greeting, no can I help you hang your jacket up, no predeparture drink, and of course no food. The worst of all was that on one flight, the F flight attendant sat up front (after she served drinks) and heated her some soup and read a magazine almost the entire flight. The 2 flight attendents from the back apparently had a good deal of free time too since they came up front and talked to the F flight attendant for a long time. AA needs to start thinking about raising the quality of service or eliminate one of the attendant positions, if the FAA will allow it, since it is a waste of money to pay flight attendants to sit on their as**s for most of the flight. Instead the focus seems to be on gutting FF programs...
Per FAA, AA cannot reduce the amount of FAs on the MD80, Minimum crew is 3 already.

Since we don't know any more details about flight times, and your comment about "and of course no food" suggests that you were not in a meal time window for F. If there was no food, and one of the FAs actually brought something from home....then KUDOs for that FA for PLANNING AHEAD for themselves, eating on the flight, instead of possibly making another flight delayed while they stopped to get food on the ground between the quick turn-arounds. We don't even know the flight loads on this particular flight, so maybe there weren't that many people in back? Or they were sleeping?

I was just on a flight last month where both directions we only had 50 people per flight.

If the service on this particular flight was Beverage only, what else are the FAs to do?

Sure, re-offer beverages, but other than that...if AA hasn't catered anything else...then please explain what more is the FA to do on the flight?

I hope you wrote into AA.com/customerrelations and explained your frustration with the service you received on all your flights. Only then will AA know that the service is lacking (if it was indeed lacking)

Please understand that I too am frustrated at the lack of Service some FAs *cough*provide*cough*. However, nothing will be done if you don't write into CustomerRelations and let them know.
Old Aug 11, 08, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
It's the people themselves. We've all had those motivated teams of FAs who work together, pay attention to their passengers, and do the little things (checking for drinks, etc.). They make a noticeable difference.

Instead, too many people -- in all aspects of life, not just AA -- do "what they have to" and nothing more.

Let's face it -- how many of us are "on our A game" 100% of the time? My clients can't see me rolling my eyes over the phone every now and then, and they certainly can't here what I say when on mute -- lucky for me! FAs and GAs don't have that luxury...we see every step of their "at work" performance. I'm not excusing it, but I understand it.

If I could, I'd mandate that: (a) every passenger said "hello, how are you doing?" the first time they encountered each line employee (ticket desk, security, gate, FA), (b) every TSA announcement began with "ladies and gentlemen", rather than a bark, (c) every gate agent provided a status update (re clearing upgrades & standbys and the ontime situation) via PA at the gate every 5 minutes starting 15 mins before scheduled boarding, and (d) no FA spent more than 15 consecutive minutes in the galley (except when on break).
Old Aug 11, 08, 12:40 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa View Post

I hope you wrote into AA.com/customerrelations and explained your frustration with the service you received on all your flights. Only then will AA know that the service is lacking (if it was indeed lacking)
Your suggestion to write to customer relations is understandable, yet I wonder whether that is what we should do every time we are not completely satisfied with the service. I really don't want to be perceived by AA as a complainer, so I keep those negative e-mails (and sometimes paper letters) to AA to a minimum.

I think what is extremely infuriating about the whole service situation is that there are a whole bunch of FAs who really work their tails of--they are pleasant, all over the cabin, chat with us, make our flight comfortable. They do their job and I appreciate it, and I let them know so and occasionally I will drop a line to AA (although I wish it weren't so cumbersome to send a short kudos to AA via AA.com). And then there are those others who do barely the minimum serving up the drinks and then tend to their sudoko chores in plain view of those of us who are lucky enough to sit in 4E or thereabouts. Even if there is "nothing else" to do, it looks bad.

Everybody at AA should realize that service and attitude will set a company apart--and that goes in both directions. AA is far too often doing an outstanding job showing the negative side of service. I wish it weren't so because the airline's survival is important to me. It should also be important to all its employees.
Old Aug 11, 08, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
The service recieved by the OP is not reflective off the service I've had in AA F in recent months. It's been very good for the most part and no complaints.
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Originally Posted by san2yul View Post

It isn't par for the course for me.
Nor is it for me. Guess I am just very very lucky.
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:11 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard View Post
Your suggestion to write to customer relations is understandable, yet I wonder whether that is what we should do every time we are not completely satisfied with the service. I really don't want to be perceived by AA as a complainer, so I keep those negative e-mails (and sometimes paper letters) to AA to a minimum.

(clip)

Everybody at AA should realize that service and attitude will set a company apart--and that goes in both directions. AA is far too often doing an outstanding job showing the negative side of service. I wish it weren't so because the airline's survival is important to me. It should also be important to all its employees.
This is why you should always write a letter if you are not satisfied with the service you received...How else is AA going to know that no service was provided (if there was suppose to be one)?

Please, write emails to aa.com/customerrelations any time you are unhappy with the service you received. Even if you HATE aa.com/customerrelations and the initial 'form letter' that you will receive...it's the best and fastest way to get in contact and inform AA of the poor service you received.

EVERY letter is looked at, whether you think so or not, they are. So, if there is not one received, then AA thinks that service and everything else is just fine-hunky-dory.
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by grahampros View Post
The service recieved by the OP is not reflective off the service I've had in AA F in recent months. It's been very good for the most part and no complaints.
I second that. Every once in awhile you are going to get less than desirable service. If it bugs someone enough, email/write AA with full details. If not, consider it a fluke and think of all the good times you have had due to excellent AA service (and I have a number of good times in both F and Y due to the zeal of AA employees' attitude to make the experience enjoyable.)
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

DFW-DEN is now a no meal flight, but as many FFs know, it hasn't always been that way. The flight was full...there are many things a good flight attendant can do to provide high quality service, rather than sitting on her/his a** for most of the flight. If the FA's are now doing less (in terms of job duties), than they deserve a pay cut. They also need to be supervised more closely...and yes, I do intend to write AA.

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa View Post
Per FAA, AA cannot reduce the amount of FAs on the MD80, Minimum crew is 3 already.

Since we don't know any more details about flight times, and your comment about "and of course no food" suggests that you were not in a meal time window for F. If there was no food, and one of the FAs actually brought something from home....then KUDOs for that FA for PLANNING AHEAD for themselves, eating on the flight, instead of possibly making another flight delayed while they stopped to get food on the ground between the quick turn-arounds. We don't even know the flight loads on this particular flight, so maybe there weren't that many people in back? Or they were sleeping?

I was just on a flight last month where both directions we only had 50 people per flight.

If the service on this particular flight was Beverage only, what else are the FAs to do?

Sure, re-offer beverages, but other than that...if AA hasn't catered anything else...then please explain what more is the FA to do on the flight?

Please understand that I too am frustrated at the lack of Service some FAs *cough*provide*cough*. However, nothing will be done if you don't write into CustomerRelations and let them know.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: