Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAJOR Issue: oneworld Award Booked by AA - Use Travel Center?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by troyb
That's my view as well.

Anyway, thanks for the additional suggestions here. For those who suggested doing a 150C award, that's what they've supposedly been working on. I have the additional miles, but would argue to the grave that I should be liable for them. In any case, they actually refunded the 130k miles per ticket and issued 150k awards - of course, as with every step over the past couple of weeks, it appears that they messed up with giving me the 20k mile credit per ticket that they agreed to (supposedly credited 20k miles to my account as well as my companions when they all should have gone to my account - however neither of us or an agent even see these in our accounts!).

I feel like the original issue has been exasperated by the main "supervisor" with whom I have been working. The problem started out as 2 open jaws, but now involves issuing a higher level award, incorrect crediting of miles, and supposedly - get this, its a new one - a change in award rules regarding stopover/connection time (not the one effective 9/1/08). I mean, late last week I was even told twice, by 2 separate agents, that my ticket was good to go/reissued. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about this after explaining the existence of multiple airports in Osaka and Tokyo as well as having to literally read through the OW rules describing the whole connection vs. stopover mileage calculation. Part of the idea of going to the Travel Center was to get someone else involved who might be somewhat more knowledgeable and efficient than who I've been dealing with.

Hopefully this works out. Thanks to those who offered encouragement and suggestions.

You actually have the miles in the account? In that case take a deep breath and enjoy your travel. I agree that 20k miles (twice, in your case) is far from valueless, but it's small enough that if you can otherwise get the ticket issued (your post is not totally clear on this point) then I would just move on, for now.

I've been given 10k or 15k miles for things as minor as delayed flights and lost luggage. It seems inconceivable to me that you won't be able to get this made right for you with some patience and without the looming trip deadline. There are so many things they can do for you, give you comp miles, comp upgrade stickers, and eVIP or two, some kind of status, vouchers, AC passes, a 10% discount code, and on and on. I'm sure if you can demonstrate that they failed you in their customer service, which it sounds like you can, then with some persistence you can get made whole somehow. For now I'd concentrate on having fun on your trip, and save this for later.

Unless of course they have found *another* reason not to ticket you, in which case I'd recommend procuring a flamethrower.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 9:53 pm

How does getting someone more knowledgeable and efficient equate to breaking the rules?

What I was hoping for is to get this resolved as soon as possible. I would expect that someone calling from a Travel Center would be able to get in touch with the right people quicker than myself dealing with a phone tree and level after level of AA agents - who apparently cannot help resolve anything.
Getting the right person in front of you would be absolutely invaluable. But I have to agree with HNL here, getting some local ticket office staffer in front of you for an issue this complex is not likely to improve your situation. If you could get a bigshot manager type in the same room sure, but they don't work at the barely-used city ticket offices.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by zski1
If you go back and re-read the OP's post, he says he got information from FT that his routing would not be allowed. While FT is a great resource, it is not the be-all and end-all of information, rules & regulations.
FT is not, but AA is. It's right in the section on oneworld awards:
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...orld_rules.jsp
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Very interesting read... Hope it turns out fine for you!

As for the double open jaw - instead of blaming the OP, how about those not following Flyertalk? Most of the AAgents have no clue about the rules - one suggested three transits are fine... Others have to be instructed how to calculate the mileage as they have no clue whatsoever. To give them credit though, I have a 50% success ratio to get a knowledgeable agent out of my 4 recent bookings.

Obviously what they say and book shouldn't be trusted, everybody booking these awards must know the rules themselves.

And they certainly seem to have some incentives to try to refuse any complicated routings for whatever reason since the change of the rules was announced.

My last one, a perfectly legal routing, took 4 hours on the phone to get issued. It frankly seemed to me the supervisor ran out of excuses not to issue it.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Approximately 10 hours on the phone with AA supervisors...check
Last minute changes to my original itinerary, causing a lot of reorganization at my expense...check
Teaching an AA supervisor some rules of OW awards...check
Being taught about some rules of OW awards by an AA supervisor...check
Several instances of nearly throwing my phone out the window...check
One final sleepless night...check

In the end, AA came through and my travels are underway, but not without a ton of unnecessary (IMO) aggravation on both sides. This could have, and should have, been resolved months ago. There's still a random unwanted flight listed in our itineraries but I've been told that should not cause a problem.

Never ended up going to the Travel Center, so can't comment on how that may have affected things. Anyway, thanks for the help.

One word of advice to those looking to book their first OW awards - independently confirm any rules an AA agent mentions that may have an effect on your reservation. If there's a disconnect, get it fixed sooner rather than later. I took AA's word for it and it got me nothing but trouble. Good luck.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Approximately 10 hours on the phone with AA supervisors...check
Last minute changes to my original itinerary, causing a lot of reorganization at my expense...check
Teaching an AA supervisor some rules of OW awards...check
Being taught about some rules of OW awards by an AA supervisor...check
Several instances of nearly throwing my phone out the window...check
One final sleepless night...check

In the end, AA came through and my travels are underway, but not without a ton of unnecessary (IMO) aggravation on both sides. This could have, and should have, been resolved months ago. There's still a random unwanted flight listed in our itineraries but I've been told that should not cause a problem.

Never ended up going to the Travel Center, so can't comment on how that may have affected things. Anyway, thanks for the help.

One word of advice to those looking to book their first OW awards - independently confirm any rules an AA agent mentions that may have an effect on your reservation. If there's a disconnect, get it fixed sooner rather than later. I took AA's word for it and it got me nothing but trouble. Good luck.
I thought you were on your way already.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
deleted by poster
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
AA Messes Up Again

Surprise, surprise, but AA has screwed this up again.

I'm currently traveling on this ticket. Approximately 1 week ago, well into my travels, I noticed that J seats had opened up on an earlier (and more desireable) BKK-HKG flight where I had previously only had Y seats on the later flight. Great, so I called up AA who confirmed that this would be no problem, found the seats, and changed my reservation. This change was reflected on the reservation on AA.com.

Fast forward to today at BKK airport. No problems checking in J, made our way to the lounge. After about 30 minutes, we get a call via the front desk from someone in CX ticketing telling me that we are only ticketed in Y on the later flight. Ok, clearly AA did not reissue the ticket correctly (or at all). I suggested this might be the problem and the polite CX agent called AA but they refused to change it. I then asked to be connected with them so we could all talk (I suspect they didn't understand him or something), however the flight is leaving now.

So here I am, in the CX lounge at BKK waiting for my BKK-HKG flight. Thanks to AA, I don't have a valid J ticket and at a minimum will be wasting 3 hours at the airport while this gets sorted out before the next flight. I'm not about to spend $100 to call another AA agent internationally who can maybe fix this.

Once again AA has screwed up this ticket. For those that placed all of the blame on me for my earlier problems, this change was clearly by the book - no question about that. Will these issues ever end? I just want this trip to complete smoothly so I can get home and never contribute to AA's bottom line again.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
deleted
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Surprise, surprise, but AA has screwed this up again.

I'm currently traveling on this ticket. Approximately 1 week ago, well into my travels, I noticed that J seats had opened up on an earlier (and more desireable) BKK-HKG flight where I had previously only had Y seats on the later flight. Great, so I called up AA who confirmed that this would be no problem, found the seats, and changed my reservation. This change was reflected on the reservation on AA.com.

Fast forward to today at BKK airport. No problems checking in J, made our way to the lounge. After about 30 minutes, we get a call via the front desk from someone in CX ticketing telling me that we are only ticketed in Y on the later flight. Ok, clearly AA did not reissue the ticket correctly (or at all). I suggested this might be the problem and the polite CX agent called AA but they refused to change it. I then asked to be connected with them so we could all talk (I suspect they didn't understand him or something), however the flight is leaving now.

So here I am, in the CX lounge at BKK waiting for my BKK-HKG flight. Thanks to AA, I don't have a valid J ticket and at a minimum will be wasting 3 hours at the airport while this gets sorted out before the next flight. I'm not about to spend $100 to call another AA agent internationally who can maybe fix this.

Once again AA has screwed up this ticket. For those that placed all of the blame on me for my earlier problems, this change was clearly by the book - no question about that. Will these issues ever end? I just want this trip to complete smoothly so I can get home and never contribute to AA's bottom line again.
$100 for a phone call? Try skype. It's free to call US 800 numbers.

-z
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:12 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Poor Troy, more advice, now this one on Skype...that's probably the last thing he wants to hear at this point.

I am a new EXP on AA, but have been 1K on United for some time now. They no longer allow you to make changes to tickets, including class of service, once travel has begun. When I asked a supervisor for the rationale, she said there are too many things that can go wrong in re-issuing the ticket. United's "solution" was to ban changes once travel begins. I assume AA does not have this same rule?

I think the lesson here for all of us is on a complicated routing, the more times you change class of service and re-issue the more chances there are to totally screw up the ticket. Troy, I don't want to rub salt in the wound, but after all the problems you had before, I am surprised you would go tinker with the ticket for such a short flight?

Hope you made it through... at least economy on CX isn't like economy on AA. I bet you even got a free drink.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zski1
$100 for a phone call? Try skype. It's free to call US 800 numbers.

-z
That's a great idea. I always forget about Skype since my work computer is locked down and I can't install it. There are some desktops here to use though. However, by the time I read your post I ran out to the concourse and picked up a small VOIP headset for like $15 to use with my Magic Jack. I typically just use it with a regular phone but the phones in the lounge are some kind of IP phone with ethernet connectors.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Thanks to AA, I don't have a valid J ticket and at a minimum will be wasting 3 hours at the airport while this gets sorted out before the next flight.
How's the Cathay lounge there at BKK? If it's anything like LHR or HKG I would think you'd enjoy three hours of relaxing there.

Going to ask AA to credit you some miles when you get home?
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Apparently this has been fixed, thanks to the CX agents. I finally got on the line with AA who still hadn't fixed it on their end. Seriously, I hate AA and all that is AA. Valuable miles, atrocious service (in my experience - I'm sure EXP have it better). 2 1/2 hours of my already limited 36 hours in HK gone like that.

Originally Posted by tom911
How's the Cathay lounge there at BKK? If it's anything like LHR or HKG I would think you'd enjoy three hours of relaxing there.

Going to ask AA to credit you some miles when you get home?
CX lounge on the G concourse here is nothing special, however when I was walking before I thought I noticed a second CX lounge of similar size. Very strange, maybe I was just hallucinating from my fury at AA. On second thought, for such a small lounge they do have a nice business section.

I was already thinking about sending a letter to AA about all the problems I had previously, now its certain. Not necessarily going to ask for miles because that would mean having to deal with AA agents again. I'm thinking something more along the lines of a brief note with copies of each of my other airline elite cards, a couple receipts for future flights purchased on those airlines, and my AA Platinum elite card as well as Citi AA MC cut up into tiny pieces. Will the recipient of my package care? Probably not, but it will make me feel a little better.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Apparently this has been fixed, thanks to the CX agents. I finally got on the line with AA who still hadn't fixed it on their end. Seriously, I hate AA and all that is AA. Valuable miles, atrocious service (in my experience - I'm sure EXP have it better). 2 1/2 hours of my already limited 36 hours in HK gone like that.

CX lounge on the G concourse here is nothing special, however when I was walking before I thought I noticed a second CX lounge of similar size. Very strange, maybe I was just hallucinating from my fury at AA. On second thought, for such a small lounge they do have a nice business section.

I was already thinking about sending a letter to AA about all the problems I had previously, now its certain. Not necessarily going to ask for miles because that would mean having to deal with AA agents again. I'm thinking something more along the lines of a brief note with copies of each of my other airline elite cards, a couple receipts for future flights purchased on those airlines, and my AA Platinum elite card as well as Citi AA MC cut up into tiny pieces. Will the recipient of my package care? Probably not, but it will make me feel a little better.
I'm with you on writing the letter to AA to alert them to the problems you've had with the ticket. However, I would only bother to include your evidence of future travel on other airlines if you actually are asking AA to do something to win your business back. Otherwise, it's just a poke in the eye.

If you were getting a complaint letter, would you be more inclined to pay attention to "your service stunk, I hate you, and I'm not buying anything from you any more, here's the proof"

or

"you didn't meet my expectations, here's what you might want to do to fix your operations, and here's what you can do to satisfy me"?

or better yet

"I really liked x, y, and z, but you guys fell very short on a, b, and c, and I'm very disappointed....here's what you can do to fix your problem, and here's what you can do to make it up to me."

Who knows whether the 2nd or 3rd option will get your ideas and complaint actually heard, but I guarantee the first option (which is closest to what you propose doing) is probably not going to generate much attention.

Also -- if you really are closing your Citi account, I don't think AA would care about that nearly as much as Citi would. Let Citi know why you're closing it and perhaps they can use that (aggregated with comments from many other customers, of course) in future negotiations with AA -- perhaps to pressure AA to do a little bit better.

-z

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.