Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAir to Eliminate movies on domestic flights, will AA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
USAir to Eliminate movies on domestic flights, will AA follow?

US Airways says it will start removing in-flight entertainment systems on domestic flights in November to save about $10 million annually in fuel and other costs. (Link to article below.)

I can’t see AA doing this on the East to West Coast flights, but can you see them eliminating movies on all other domestic flights?

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...s_N.htm?csp=34
Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
I doubt AA will follow. Especially since they are spending money to upgrade the IFE systems in the 757. But never say never.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:44 pm

Airlines will just go to a continuous loop of paid programming. You have a captive audience. Might as well try to milk them for all they're worth.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
I really fail to see how they couldn't sell $10mm a year in advertising given the number of people staring at those screens every day, 365 days a year.

Anyone else enjoying this "will AA follow???" threads? I'm waiting for us to descend to "US Airways delays a flight to AUS. OMG AA TO FOLLOW?!?!?!?!?!"
Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
US Airways says it will start removing in-flight entertainment systems on domestic flights in November to save about $10 million annually in fuel and other costs. (Link to article below.)

I can’t see AA doing this on the East to West Coast flights, but can you see them eliminating movies on all other domestic flights?

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...s_N.htm?csp=34
Wouldn't they have to already have something (e.g. inflight entertainment) in order to eliminate it? I can't remember the last time I flew a mid-con on AA and saw a movie... YMMV.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by DillMan
Anyone else enjoying this "will AA follow???" threads? I'm waiting for us to descend to "US Airways delays a flight to AUS. OMG AA TO FOLLOW?!?!?!?!?!"
Personally, I like the threads where folks bring up what is happening at other carriers and solicit thoughts about the likelihood of the same/similar practice occurring at AA.

Much more useful than the I didn't receive a complementary upgrade on my$450 full fare transcon Y ticket and I will never fly AA again threads.

PS: bdtraveler: Welcome to flyertalk. I have and continue to make tons of mistakes, and ask stupid questions. I would have preferred for you to fess up instead of disappearing, but I don’t expect you, or anyone here else to care about what I would prefer.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:46 pm

Agree!

Us Airways just changed the color of their ticket jackets, will AA follow?

[QUOTE=DillMan;10013819
Anyone else enjoying this "will AA follow???" threads? I'm waiting for us to descend to "US Airways delays a flight to AUS. OMG AA TO FOLLOW?!?!?!?!?!"[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Since the vast majority of AA's fleet does not have IFE, they set the standard in not having movies on domestic flights! AA always said that good service was much preferred to IFE. Now, we've lost both.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I doubt it. AA would never give up CBS Eye on American

In all seriousness aside however, I'm sure AA would likely to focus on replacing those huge and heavy cathode ray tube TVs with more lighter and energy efficient LCDs.

An even better idea is if they can install those flipdown ones that are above each every 4~5 rows on each side of the aisle. At least I won't have to worry about my tabacco chewing seatmate leaning over my shoulder trying to get a glimpse of the TV monitor
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by AndyAA
Airlines will just go to a continuous loop of paid programming. You have a captive audience. Might as well try to milk them for all they're worth.
I hear that Ron Popeil is in final production on his AA inflight infomercial "AAmazing Gadgets". Beverage carts will be replaced with display units to show the Pocket Fisherman, Pasta Maker, Showtime Rotisserie oven, Food Dehydrator, Solid Flavor Injector, Inside the Shell Egg Scrambler, Dial-O-Matic Slicer, and GLH Formula 9 spraypaint for the hair. Due to TSA reguations, the Six Star Cutlery will not be available onboard.

Passengers wil be required to chant "Set It and Forget It" on cue.

Annoying ? Sure. But if you want to be able to fly to Europe for $ 400, AA's got to make up the revenue somewhere.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Posted wired (PeaBerry2008/1.0 cup /Caffeine 5.2.1/Kona-12.0 VendorID/503)

Originally Posted by DillMan
Pretty soon we shouldn't have to listen to many more with regard to US, other than...

USAir to eliminate ALL flights, will AA follow?

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jul 10, 2008 at 3:56 pm
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:35 pm

Well there's always this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826418
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Bet you thought this was funny too.

Originally Posted by Night Flyer
America West to buy US Airways. Delta to follow?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Will AA eliminate glassware in domestic F?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 5:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ExpressJet, HQed at Houston is canceling its flights. Will AA? Will CO?

On a much more serious note, what happened with AA's plans to market the Shiwala on their flights? At least as worthy as the Ronco Inside-the-shell egg scrambler. (Anyone remember those?)

I think I'll keep th watching the schedule changes - SMF is losing one of its four DFW flights, that's for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.