Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLL: reductions or elimination?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
FLL: reductions or elimination?

I've read all the threads about the planned route reductions at AA, but this New York Times article is the first I've read that implies that American and United are both pulling out of FLL completely. Of course, the article could be read differently -- that United is pulling out of Fort Lauderdale (maybe leaving it to a regional partner) and American is pulling out of San Luis Obispo.

"This week, the country’s two biggest airlines, American and United, announced plans to lop cities like Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and San Luis Obispo, Calif., out of their networks."

I thought that AA was simply planning to reduce service to/from FLL and keep connections to DFW and ORD. If the FLL station closes completely, it would affect me hugely, as 80% of my travel is between SFO and FLL, sometimes through LAX. Even reductions of DFW-FLL would be a bummer.

I just can't see AA doing this with a steady cruise business out of Port Everglades.

Anyone know whether AA plans to only keep MIA open in South Florida?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
mia has so many connections for intl destinations they will keep it open
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
FLL is a pretty big stop for AA in it's own right.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:04 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horizons

"This week, the country’s two biggest airlines, American and United, announced plans to lop cities like Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and San Luis Obispo, Calif., out of their networks."

Anyone know whether AA plans to only keep MIA open in South Florida?
UA is exiting FLL
AA is exiting SBP
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite
I confirmed a few weeks ago when I called AA that they cut all the NY flights to FLL and PBI, though they said PBI is a possibility to come back in the fall.
Marcia
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
As of April 2008, AA had 7.2 percent of the total market share at FLL, while UA only had 2.1%. So the justification for UA exiting FLL was greater than it is for AA.

IIRC from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram article, one DFW-FLL flight is being eliminated.

(Of course, since I live 2.8 miles from the FLL entrance, I do have a vested interest in hoping that AA remains in FLL)
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
As of April 2008, AA had 7.2 percent of the total market share at FLL, while UA only had 2.1%. So the justification for UA exiting FLL was greater than it is for AA.

IIRC from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram article, one DFW-FLL flight is being eliminated.

(Of course, since I live 2.8 miles from the FLL entrance, I do have a vested interest in hoping that AA remains in FLL)
FLL-LAX is being canceled.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:04 am
In memoriam

As I read this thread I started to have a sense of "doom", like the slow drip of the whole AA system (and perhaps much of the entire flying world as well) becoming something completely unfamiliar as payments for luggage, food, seat asignments, etc. are added, and destinations are now being slowly removed from the map. Fortunately, I'm nearing the end of my heavy travel days, but things are becoming much more depressing with each passing day. As each city is removed from the schedule more pressure is placed on the substitutes, resulting in more crowding and inconvenience, and of course reduction in upgrade potential.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
FLL-LAX is being canceled.
Don't remind me M beloved LAX-FLL redeye is gone...

Cheers.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
So whta is left other than FLL/DFW and FLL/ORD. Are there any AEs flights to RDU, BNA, etc. Kind of miss the NYC flights several times a day on 757s from a couple years back. But that route is packed by numerous carriers and tends to be heavy leisure and with MIA 30 miles away would not be surprised if AA totally pulls out of FLL.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
So whta is left other than FLL/DFW and FLL/ORD. Are there any AEs flights to RDU, BNA, etc. Kind of miss the NYC flights several times a day on 757s from a couple years back. But that route is packed by numerous carriers and tends to be heavy leisure and with MIA 30 miles away would not be surprised if AA totally pulls out of FLL.
Whats left is Nassau, San Jose, Kingston, and Port au Prince.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.