FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FLL: reductions or elimination?
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:01 pm
Horizons

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
FLL: reductions or elimination?

I've read all the threads about the planned route reductions at AA, but this New York Times article is the first I've read that implies that American and United are both pulling out of FLL completely. Of course, the article could be read differently -- that United is pulling out of Fort Lauderdale (maybe leaving it to a regional partner) and American is pulling out of San Luis Obispo.

"This week, the country’s two biggest airlines, American and United, announced plans to lop cities like Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and San Luis Obispo, Calif., out of their networks."

I thought that AA was simply planning to reduce service to/from FLL and keep connections to DFW and ORD. If the FLL station closes completely, it would affect me hugely, as 80% of my travel is between SFO and FLL, sometimes through LAX. Even reductions of DFW-FLL would be a bummer.

I just can't see AA doing this with a steady cruise business out of Port Everglades.

Anyone know whether AA plans to only keep MIA open in South Florida?