Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is "crew refusal" ? (xld flight)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:40 pm

[QUOTE"...

THE ONLY THING A UNION GUARANTEES YOU IS A BILL!!!

--PP[/QUOTE]

And a place on the recall list when furloughed.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:53 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i don't think he is daft at all. don't read a history book read a newspaper.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Hertz-PresCir, Marriot-Platinum, SPG-Platinum, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton-Silver
Originally Posted by tkelvin38
Since you are obviously daft, I won't enlighten you on how really stupid a statement that was. Try reading a history book before being an ignorant fool.
I agree... read a history book so you can see where unions were once needed (before 1935).

Unions are not needed in America today with the regulations we have in place for work safety and minimum wage. Unions drive up costs, decrease customer service, and just annoy me.

If you are that unhappy with your job, find a new one. If you can't find one that pays you what you want, YOU ARE NOT WORTH WHAT YOU WANT!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Originally Posted by AccentOnTheFuture
If you are that unhappy with your job, find a new one. If you can't find one that pays you what you want, YOU ARE NOT WORTH WHAT YOU WANT!

I would like to disagree. I believe a first officer flying a 90 seat jet across the country is worth more than 18K/yr
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:49 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
I would like to disagree. I believe a first officer flying a 90 seat jet across the country is worth more than 18K/yr
Agreed. Who's going to step up and end the idiocy of pilots "eating their young"? The union?

FWIW, I'm not blaming the union on this necessarily.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Agreed. Who's going to step up and end the idiocy of pilots "eating their young"? The union?

FWIW, I'm not blaming the union on this necessarily.
It's always going to be like that. The union preaches "unity" but in reality it's only unity among the most senior. However, isn't that the same mentality in most workplaces? When does the most senior guy making the most money ever sacrifice his job to save the newbie?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
It's always going to be like that. The union preaches "unity" but in reality it's only unity among the most senior. However, isn't that the same mentality in most workplaces? When does the most senior guy making the most money ever sacrifice his job to save the newbie?
He may not sacrifice his job, but the company often is not afraid to cut him to make way for lower cost employees -- a la Circuit City.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Probably worth as much as a school bus driver driving a herd of grade school kids on a freeway.

Cheers
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:23 am

Happens all the time. Look at the many examples over the last 30 years when a company cuts back. Often, early retirement is offered which many senior employees participate in. The reason why they are in a position to consider this option is the wage, benefit, retirement package that has been negotiated between labor and management. Try taking early retirement from Walmart - of course, making next to nothing and nothing is close to the same.
Early retirement is not the "sacrifice" I'm referring to. I'm saying that you don't see the senior captains saying "I'll take a 25% paycut to avoid furloughing the bottom 500 guys". I wouldn't expect them to do that, but our union preaches unity and we need to stand together, but really in the end, the junior guys take the hit as always
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Happens all the time. Look at the many examples over the last 30 years when a company cuts back. Often, early retirement is offered which many senior employees participate in. The reason why they are in a position to consider this option is the wage, benefit, retirement package that has been negotiated between labor and management. Try taking early retirement from Walmart - of course, making next to nothing and nothing is close to the same.
Step away from the union kool aid. Yes, they hate Wally World because they can't get in the door to such a large company. No, that doesn't make the company evil. Knowing several folks who have worked at both the store and the corporate level, it's not a bad place to be. They also offer early retirement to NON-UNION employees. Shocking, isn't it?

Just because someone works in retail and WANTS more money, doesn't mean they are WORTH more money. Welcome to real life. Remember the AFMA at NW? How much are those guys worth today? They, too, got a harsh dose of reality.

In fact, prudent non-union companies frequently offer early retirement/buyouts. So does WN. The problem isn't necessarily unions - it's the entitlement mentality perpetrated by some unions. Their days are coming to an end because they aren't able to deliver most of the time. Heck, around here there are non-union grocery clerks doing better than those in the union.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:48 pm

A complicated issue. There is a certain value placed upon jobs and accepting a significantly lower pay does compromise the long term benefits of all employees. Unfortunately, layoffs by senority helps protect the integrity of value.
No, it doesn't preserve ANY value to ANYONE other than the union. It does not provide the greatest value to the company nor to the consumer. It just provides the greatest cost. That's the only guarantee.

Union is representative and all members have a voice and process to provide direction. Personally, I don't want mediocre pay that will attract mediocre employees - especially pilots in command. I'd rather have fewer, better paid employees.
Of course, since the senior employees are the ones who wind up staying on, they rule the roost. This will perpetuate itself until those folks are retired. Then the union will realize that very few people in the current generation even WANT a union.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:53 pm

Never. Often, the GET sacrificed because they provide the same value, but at a higher cost. Which is the problem today.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who's better off:
  1. the Wal*Mart employee who can fire its employer and go work at Safeway anytime and paid according to his accumulated skills and experience
  2. the unionized airline employee who could never get a job at another airline for the same amount of money, as they would be forced at the bottom of the pay rank no matter how good they are
The freedom of choosing your employer and being rewarded for your skills is an anchor of the American Dream; I feel sorry for all Americans whose unions stripped this freedom away from them (and not all unions do this, so please don't misinterpret this as a blanket statement).
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Ironic that much of the anti-union rants are from people who make their living from union employees who spend their paychecks at their business. Perhaps they would like it better if they were all paid minimum wage and couldn't afford their product/service.
Please put me in the column that is populated by those of us who may be in sales and ARE compensated according to our skills.
And FYI, none of my clients are union.

I don't know of any SALES organizations that are unionized except auto salesmen in San Francisco (there's a surprise ). I can speak from first hand experience (my father owned delerships), mediocrity was the norm.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
For a minute there I thought I clicked into OMNI by mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.