Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA MD-80: Worth The Upgrade To First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tinman1412
Do I just call the airline to see where I am in terms of order on the standby list.
No. You go to the airport and look at the listing at the gate that shows you where you are on the airport list. When your next flight comes along the procedure will be the same.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum
Yipee !!!. I just got confirmation for my upgrade request. I'm sitting in 6E. Looks like FC is full when I try to change the seats. It's the last row and quite close to the lavatory, but I can't complain. Dinner, nicer seats, free alcohol, priceless. I hope it's worth the $90 for the upgrade.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Yipee !!!. I just got confirmation for my upgrade request. I'm sitting in 6E. Looks like FC is full when I try to change the seats. It's the last row and quite close to the lavatory, but I can't complain. Dinner, nicer seats, free alcohol, priceless. I hope it's worth the $90 for the upgrade.
Wasn't this 566 on June 4?
I see 6 open seats on the map in FC, 5 on the "good" side of MD80

If you have done OLCI, you might not be able to change your seats online, but you can call AA (assuming you got your tickets from AA)
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

What is OLCI? What do you mean by "Good" side?. Please explain
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:45 pm

What is OLCI? What do you mean by "Good" side?. Please explain
OLCI = OnLine Check In

The "Good Side" of the MD-80 is the right side (seats E and F) which have more legroom than the left side (A and B). Both sides still have much more legroom than economy though! The overhead bins are also smaller on the right side compared to the left side.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Yes I did Online Check-In. I called and was told that there are no other seats available on FC, but the website shows many open seats. Interesting
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:57 pm

Yes I did Online Check-In. I called and was told that there are no other seats available on FC, but the website shows many open seats. Interesting
That happens occasionally with upgrades. I believe it is transitioning to airport control of the seats, but I'm not sure (anyone?).

However, the AAngels at the airport do have the ability to change your seat assignment, when it won't let you online and when reservations can't either.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tuanners
That happens occasionally with upgrades. I believe it is transitioning to airport control of the seats, but I'm not sure (anyone?).

However, the AAngels at the airport do have the ability to change your seat assignment, when it won't let you online and when reservations can't either.
Yes, that makes sense. By now they might be under airport control,.
I thought the AAngels were only at AC. I don't think the OP is an AC member.

But, a TA or GA could change it too.
Maybe even a Skycap............... for a tip

EDIT: Why would it be under control 24 hours before the flight, with lots of F seats ?
It is possible he can't change his seat because he is checked in?

Last edited by mvoight; Jun 3, 2008 at 5:20 pm
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, that makes sense. By now they might be under airport control,.
I thought the AAngels were only at AC. I don't think the OP is an AC member.

But, a TA or GA could change it too.
Maybe even a Skycap............... for a tip
Aaah...I mistakenly assume that everyone on here is an AC member and has PLT/EXP status.

I've had instances where the TA couldn't change my upgraded seat assignment (or perhaps wouldn't), however the AAngel was able to when I got to the AC about 30 minutes later. But that could be either timing, ability to do so, or willingness to do so.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Congratulations.

The last time I went SFO-DFW (on the crappy 757 redeye), I was number 1 on the airport list with two not checked in, but alas they both showed up.

Happiness is when you are 12 of 26 on the upgrade list (JFK-SFO). You can just stop worrying about whether to board with the Plat group or not. I was seated next to an EXP who was not very happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.