Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA MD-80: Worth The Upgrade To First Class?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2008, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum
AA MD-80: Worth The Upgrade To First Class?

Hi All,

Just wanted to get your thoughts. I have a late flight from SFO-DFW that does not arrive in Dallas until Midnight. I'm a GOLD member and put in a request for upgrade to First Class for the flight. Is this worth it?. It cost me $90 for 3x 500 mile upgrade purchase. I heard the seats are not that much better than Coach. Also, what's my chance of getting the upgrade on this flight for being GOLD.

Thanks in advance
Old May 31, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Almost GLD
I do it, just because the MD80 is usually all I fly. Theyre definitely better than coach, if not for any other reason than the noise, or lack thereof.

I say give it a shot!
Old May 31, 2008, 5:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Day of week makes a difference also - but late evening might not be so bad.

AA 566 does arrives a bit past midnight, but IMO, I can get some snooze time in F, not so easily in Y; and in F you get some kind of meal included, as well as soft drinks or wine, etc. (Though do check SeatGuru and other's posts here - there are better and worse seats in both cabins.)

But, uh, F seats like Y? Not in this dimension. But do remember, particularly if you are tall, the port (left) seats are a tad closer together (less spitch) than starboard.
Old May 31, 2008, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tinman1412
Hi All,

Just wanted to get your thoughts. I have a late flight from SFO-DFW that does not arrive in Dallas until Midnight. I'm a GOLD member and put in a request for upgrade to First Class for the flight. Is this worth it?. It cost me $90 for 3x 500 mile upgrade purchase. I heard the seats are not that much better than Coach. Also, what's my chance of getting the upgrade on this flight for being GOLD.

Thanks in advance
First class seats on AA on MD-80 are better than any coach seats on AA.
The starboard side had better pitch than the port side.
Old May 31, 2008, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
Definitely worth it - almost 1,500 miles you'll get your three stickers worth on the almost 4 hr flight... especially in late evening with perhaps dinner/snack and a drink or two. I personally like the MD-80 in F as it's very quiet upfront.

Not sure of the load factor for this particular flight/day but if it comes in at midnight I would think you might have a fighting chance.

Sincerely, - jdburns11
Old May 31, 2008, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
But, uh, F seats like Y? Not in this dimension. But do remember, particularly if you are tall, the port (left) seats are a tad closer together (less spitch) than starboard.
Is less spitch a good thing? I know the seats are closer together but maybe that is better than having all that spitch on the right side of the plane. I'm not sure, though. Please advise, JDiver.
Old May 31, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
AFIAK you don't have to purchase the stickers until the upgrade clears. I would probably do it for such a long flight, though, as the exit row seats on this plane give more than enough legroom. I usually travel on lighter flights, and if I pick 21D/20D, then I (almost always) have a free E seat next to me which I prefer to a full first cabin.

Cheers,

Last edited by sadiqhassan; May 31, 2008 at 6:48 pm
Old May 31, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), DL MM, Hyatt Glob (LT), Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold (LT)
As a recent convert to AA, almost all of my domestic flights have been on MD-80s, which, and I know this heresy, I actually like. I get complimentary upgrades, but I pay for upgrade stickers for msdebit (PLT), when necessary, even for the 2 or 2-1/2 hour flight DTW-DFW. I would definitely spend another $30 to fly upfront SFO-DFW, especially on an evening flight.
Old May 31, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: AAExPlat HHGold AVLifeMiles
The answer is obvious, of course its worth it. Maybe on a short 30 minute flight it wouldnt be but SFO-DFW is a go. The seats (as has been stated) are much wider and have more pitch than coach.
Old May 31, 2008, 8:20 pm

It depends on what $90 is worth to you. You'll get more legroom, more recline, a wider seat, only one neighbor, guaranteed overhead bin space, a quieter cabin, a meal, warm nuts, alcohol, and more attentive service. If that's worth $90 to you then by all means request the upgrade.

As far as chances, it'll certainly depend on how full first cabin is and how elite-heavy the flight is. Most flights to/from hub airports tend to have a lot of elites, but that's not always the case. Take a look at the AA seat map or ExpertFlyer to see how fill the first cabin is. If you really want to get that upgrade you can always switch to or try to standby an earlier/later flight that has more seats in first.
Old May 31, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HHonors Silver, Pre✓®
Go for it. I am on mostly MD-80/3 as well as another person who posted. You definitely notice the difference and not being so close to each other in coach. Some night flights may be a little empty, so your seat next to you could be empty as well (in first or coach) - more space! Hopefully you get the upgrade!!
Old May 31, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I've taken that flight, and it is worth it.

Remember, no entertainment on Mad dogs. Also, there is less light in your
eyes from those who do not want to sleep and have the light on. Lastly, you can wine yourself to sleep.
Old May 31, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA DL
Yes

Anytime I can upgrade (have the upgrades, miles, "the speech" ) I do it.
Old May 31, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
I don't mind the MD's at all... they've got ovens so if the flight is long enough, you get hot meals in F. They're VERY quiet rides up front, have lots of windows and the seats are reasonably comfortable, unlike those 1980 F seat disasters on the 757's.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 4:46 am

Programs: AA PLT
Yes, it's worth it. Like many others have said, the noise difference, the meal, and the better seats are all worth it.
Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.