Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)

2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)

 
Old May 27, 08, 8:11 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SDQ/MIA
Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 1,062
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Miami-St. Kitts & Nevis, for example, barely averages a year-round 65% loadfactor, but it can break-even at a 40% load.
I'm curious. How come? Why do the Caribbean flights break even at lower loads? Freight?
I was told way back when on an empty flight from SDQ that they make out great with cargo. Now all the SDQ flights run 100% and they have fewer flights than last year.
pjoalfa is offline  
Old May 27, 08, 8:29 pm
  #32  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, calif.
Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Posts: 7,139
Originally Posted by pjoalfa View Post
I'm curious. How come? Why do the Caribbean flights break even at lower loads? Freight?
I was told way back when on an empty flight from SDQ that they make out great with cargo. Now all the SDQ flights run 100% and they have fewer flights than last year.
Freight and yields.

Miami-Providenciales, for example, has the highest CASM in AA's entire network. These routes command high fares for relatively short distances. MIA-PLS is a very short hop - shorter than MIA-ATL - but easily commands an average one-way fare of over $280.

Miami-Maracaibo fares, for example, in the middle of July, still 6-8 weeks in advance, are already inching over $800, and that route is roughly the same length as Miami-New York. Good luck getting those fares consistently on MIA-JFK.

Plus, as you mentioned, freight plays a role, the bellies are also full. And, a third and less obvious culprit - overweight baggage fees.
MAH4546 is offline  
Old May 27, 08, 8:32 pm
  #33  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, calif.
Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Posts: 7,139
Originally Posted by socalterp View Post
A well connected poster on another board is mentioning some STL cutbacks, including elimination of all 757 service with the exception of 2x MIA. A number of routes losing mainline, including RSW, AUS, RDU and SAT.

Also talk of LAS and TPA going away, as well as some other RJ routes.
That's in line with what I've been hearing, although the cuts are not finalized.

I think STL will probably lose 30-40 flights, but that is my opinion only, not based on anything.
MAH4546 is offline  
Old May 27, 08, 8:44 pm
  #34  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Posts: 2,944
Originally Posted by socalterp View Post
A well connected poster on another board is mentioning some STL cutbacks, including elimination of all 757 service with the exception of 2x MIA. A number of routes losing mainline, including RSW, AUS, RDU and SAT.

Also talk of LAS and TPA going away, as well as some other RJ routes.
can you provide a link for this?
abk is offline  
Old May 27, 08, 8:51 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Posts: 7,115
Originally Posted by phlashba View Post
I just spoke with an EXP rep who was quite peeved that they had not been informed about these changes. Further, all the ORD-EZE flights are still in the res system well after 9/3.

I was scheduled to do this route again in late Sept. Glad I accidentally stumbled upon the news at AA.com so I could make alternate reservations through DFW.
It is not surprising that this has not been loaded. Other route changes have only been reflected in the rez system after the weekend update; I suspect we'll see something similar over the coming weekend.
aamilesslave is offline  
Old May 27, 08, 9:01 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by RxCapt View Post
AA no longer operates the 777 on JFK-EZE. They did for a brief period from Oct 2006 - April 2007 (I happened to be on the first EZE-JFK 777 flight).



I could see them eliminating LGA-MSP and perhaps eliminating (or hopefully just reducing) LGA-ATL.



I don't think they will be reducing this flight. In fact its increasing to 5x daily (all mainline) come the fall. I remember it used to be 4x (2 on eagle, 2 on mainline) & then it went all mainline & now gets another increase. Given the current economic climate, the flight must be doing very well. I fly it often & its usually packed (not that full flights mean much). Does anyone know how the route is doing? Its odd that it works IMO given the so-called fortress atl hub. delta can't seem to make inroads into any aa hubs out of nyc like aa has done to delta (atl & cvg).
JoePizza is offline  
Old May 27, 08, 9:15 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Smellington, NZ
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Posts: 1,453
Rather than wait for the agents to call me to rebook my ORD-EZE flight, I called in tonight to handle it now. I was put on a connection through MIA... not ideal, to be sure, but the agent couldn't get me on the nonstop from DFW. I'm a little disappointed that I won't get to try the FL in ORD as I don't think I will have any other international travel this year through a gateway that has an FL... oh well!
bpauker is offline  
Old May 27, 08, 10:32 pm
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,535
> Washigton/Reagan-Fayetteville, AK (American Eagle/MQ)

I think that would be AR. AK is Alaska.
mvoight is offline  
Old May 27, 08, 10:37 pm
  #39  
asl
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC/ORD
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by RxCapt View Post
AA no longer operates the 777 on JFK-EZE. They did for a brief period from Oct 2006 - April 2007 (I happened to be on the first EZE-JFK 777 flight).



I could see them eliminating LGA-MSP and perhaps eliminating (or hopefully just reducing) LGA-ATL. Also, YYZ will probably go to all Eagle.
My mistake on JFK-EZE - I thought it was a seasonal equipment rotation (our winter=777, our summer = 763). I flew it a couple of weeks ago and found it a great, easy flight (great Purser in J as well).

I hope that they don't touch either of YYZ and ATL. My parents live in YYZ and I routinely will catch the 7.05am flight to secure the early morning 738 or the 5.40pm 738 return to LGA - very easy upgrade route for a PLAT.

I also use the LGA-ATL flights a fair bit, as a portfolio company is based there. Flights I have been on seem full, but AA's KUP fare is much cheaper way to travel in First than the Delta offering.

Aside question - does ExpertFlyer retain inventory levels? It would be a very interesting application/utility to use that data to look at historical fares/loads.
asl is offline  
Old May 28, 08, 12:03 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 3
New Route: DAL-ORD

New service from Dallas Love Field to Chicago O'Hare starting 02 July 2008, 6x daily. Oddly enough, the addition of this route seems to have escaped notice since it wasn't included in AA's press release, although it does appear in the revised timetable.

By the way, American Eagle can fly nonstop to Chicago from Love Field because the regional jets it uses at Love Field contain 50 seats, below the seating ceiling set by the Wright Amendment.

--------NEW SERVICE---------------

01JUN08

Dallas-Buffalo (American Eagle/MQ; seasonal through 03SEP08)

Fort Lauderdale-Kingston

02JUN08

Chicago-Moscow/Domodedovo

07JUL08

LaGuardia-Cedar Rapids (American Eagle/MQ)

Chicago-Dallas Love Field (American Eagle/MQ)

20NOV08

Miami-Antigua
Miami-Grenada

07APR09

Chicago-Beijing

Last edited by bikedude3000; May 28, 08 at 12:11 am
bikedude3000 is offline  
Old May 28, 08, 5:18 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago (when I'm actually home)
Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
Posts: 106
DAL-ORD rears its ugly head

Originally Posted by bikedude3000 View Post
New service from Dallas Love Field to Chicago O'Hare starting 02 July 2008, 6x daily. Oddly enough, the addition of this route seems to have escaped notice since it wasn't included in AA's press release, although it does appear in the revised timetable.

By the way, American Eagle can fly nonstop to Chicago from Love Field because the regional jets it uses at Love Field contain 50 seats, below the seating ceiling set by the Wright Amendment.
I'm really puzzled by this addition. I'm one of the lucky ones who was able to take advantage of DAL service during that freakish period when it was all first class service to/from ORD to compete with Legend (?). Of course, as a sign of the times, it's on Eagle. Why is AA trying to compete out of DAL at all? Talk about a money losing operation...
ORDforlife is offline  
Old May 28, 08, 5:26 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago (when I'm actually home)
Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
-----DISCONTINUED SERVICE-------------

03SEP08:

Chicago-Buenos Aires
I'm a little peeved about this one, as I was looking forward to traveling this route and using some VIPs on a reconfigured 763 on a long, long flight. Of course AA really doesn't care about my ability to use VIPs.
ORDforlife is offline  
Old May 28, 08, 5:43 am
  #43  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,621
Originally Posted by ORDforlife View Post
I'm really puzzled by this addition. I'm one of the lucky ones who was able to take advantage of DAL service during that freakish period when it was all first class service to/from ORD to compete with Legend (?). Of course, as a sign of the times, it's on Eagle. Why is AA trying to compete out of DAL at all? Talk about a money losing operation...
They aren't trying to compete. It's all about the real estate. They need to protect their gates at DAL, both to prevent a LCC from moving in, and with an eye 6 years down the road when the plane size restrictions finally expire. With the cuts of DAL-AUS and DAL-MCI, they had to put something in instead. I'm guesing RJ's to ORD looked like it would lose less money than the alternatives.
swag is offline  
Old May 28, 08, 5:51 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DFW, DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Posts: 994
Originally Posted by swag View Post
They aren't trying to compete. It's all about the real estate. They need to protect their gates at DAL, both to prevent a LCC from moving in, and with an eye 6 years down the road when the plane size restrictions finally expire. With the cuts of DAL-AUS and DAL-MCI, they had to put something in instead. I'm guesing RJ's to ORD looked like it would lose less money than the alternatives.
that's a bummer. i used both the mci and aus flights. The Dallas Morning News failed to pick this up in their newspaper article today
envgeo is offline  
Old May 28, 08, 6:07 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago (when I'm actually home)
Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by swag View Post
They aren't trying to compete. It's all about the real estate. They need to protect their gates at DAL, both to prevent a LCC from moving in, and with an eye 6 years down the road when the plane size restrictions finally expire. With the cuts of DAL-AUS and DAL-MCI, they had to put something in instead. I'm guesing RJ's to ORD looked like it would lose less money than the alternatives.
Thanks for the added info. I'm not up to date on the Wright Amendment expiration. I know it's a big issue for the folks down there and noticed AA DFW ground crew wearing t-shirts about the amendment. It just seems like such a waste of time and money.

AA eventually pulled out of MDW and stopped trying to compete with WN there. Why not DAL?
ORDforlife is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: