Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Route Cuts / Changes etc.: Check here for updates (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 4:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks!

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2008, 4:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the release, AAFA!

The post was moved to this thread, as MAH4546 has kindly offered to keep this thread updated as a resource on the upcoming changes (adding even new and seasonal routes, etc.)

Old May 27, 2008, 4:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by freeupgrade

What moron in management came up with this one - geez...

Clearly someone who has it in for you, personally.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2008, 4:55 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by AAFA
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080527/latu524.html?.v=10
Press Release Source: American Airlines
Also now posted on AA.com:

AA To Reaccomodate Customers Impacted By Schedule Reductions
Old May 27, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by MAH4546
AA needs 763s to replace the lost 772 capacity going to Beijing in March.
Is this really true? It has been posted here multiple times that AA does not really push 777 utilization, and indeed AA has leased out spare 777s over the last few years (to Boeing and ??). That being so, are they really losing 777 capacity because of the new Peking route?
Old May 27, 2008, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
When Beijing was Peking, AA was still flying DC-3s.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
ORD-HNL is a very sad route to lose. I used to choose HNL-ORD then on to New York since I could sleep the longest in F. I hope the YUP fares for NY-HNL do not go through the roof now. Didn't they used to fly this two times a day? I guess it was not profitable to drop a DFW flight and do one ORD-HNL and one LAX-HNL instead.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:30 pm

ORD-EZE effects me more than ORD-HNL.

OTOH, MIA-ANU is very helpful for holidays if the connection times work for me.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I just spoke with an EXP rep who was quite peeved that they had not been informed about these changes. Further, all the ORD-EZE flights are still in the res system well after 9/3.

I was scheduled to do this route again in late Sept. Glad I accidentally stumbled upon the news at AA.com so I could make alternate reservations through DFW.

I'm afraid this is just the beginning.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The press release states that ORD-HNL will continue to operate on "key days". My guess is 3x weekly, but I can't figure out which days that would be. Backing out from the 763 utilization schedule isn't giving me a whole lotta clues either.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:49 pm
asl

Programs: AA EXP
I agree that this is just the beginning, but these reductions so far seem pretty tame (though HNL-ORD seems the most painful).

When they added ORD-EZE recently, I thought it was excess capacity - destination seems well covered by DFW, MIAx2 777, and the JFK 763/777. While I know it's not AA metal, LAN Chile offers connections through to SA that they could slap a code-share on to appear to minimize capacity reduction.

My personal hope is that LGA doesn't get hit too hard, there there are a number of destinations served (primarily by eagle) that seem ripe for schedule reduction (not route cancellation).

I don't think much at JFK is at risk (maybe STN.....)
Old May 27, 2008, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by asl
My personal hope is that LGA doesn't get hit too hard, there there are a number of destinations served (primarily by eagle) that seem ripe for schedule reduction (not route cancellation).

JFK, LGA, and MIA are not going to see significant cuts. LaGuardia will see zero frequency cuts, though there might be route shuffling.

Miami might see increased service, but that's TBD. Miami's revenue is largely international, and AA needs more of that. It remains an extremely profitable operation, thanks to the Latin/Caribbean services that have extremely low break-even load-factors. Miami-St. Kitts & Nevis, for example, barely averages a year-round 65% loadfactor, but it can break-even at a 40% load.

STN has been doing well; it's definitely not totally immune, but I think people underestimate what a solid performer it has been.
Old May 27, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by asl
When they added ORD-EZE recently, I thought it was excess capacity - destination seems well covered by DFW, MIAx2 777, and the JFK 763/777.
AA no longer operates the 777 on JFK-EZE. They did for a brief period from Oct 2006 - April 2007 (I happened to be on the first EZE-JFK 777 flight).

Originally Posted by asl
My personal hope is that LGA doesn't get hit too hard, there there are a number of destinations served (primarily by eagle) that seem ripe for schedule reduction (not route cancellation)
I could see them eliminating LGA-MSP and perhaps eliminating (or hopefully just reducing) LGA-ATL. Also, YYZ will probably go to all Eagle.

Originally Posted by asl
With the reduction of A300s, there probably will be a reduction in Caribbean flying out of JFK. I agree STN will probably go. Also BDA will probably go to one a day. Not sure how well they do on cargo but if cargo is not a money maker, perhaps the 762 flight will be eliminated.
Old May 27, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Lga-msp

Originally Posted by RxCapt
I could see them eliminating LGA-MSP and perhaps eliminating (or hopefully just reducing) LGA-ATL. Also, YYZ will probably go to all Eagle.
LGA-MSP disappears as of May 31st (I was suppoed to fly this next month, but found out at least a month ago that they were cancelling all the N/S, thus necessisitating a stop in ORD).
Old May 27, 2008, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
A well connected poster on another board is mentioning some STL cutbacks, including elimination of all 757 service with the exception of 2x MIA. A number of routes losing mainline, including RSW, AUS, RDU and SAT.

Also talk of LAS and TPA going away, as well as some other RJ routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.