Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by azmojo
Hence my post here... looking for suggestions. I can think of lots of things that won't work. Surely some of you have some tried and true methods or best estimates of the best way to attempt this.
I would try to start the conversation on a topic the GA likely cares about or with a compliment. Then mention your on your honeymoon...later in the converstaion ask a question or two about the first class product out of curiosity. Never actually suggesting an upgrade but conecting the dots so the GA might think about treating you if the flight needs op-ups.
Old May 11, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, various other pittances
Originally Posted by jtrader
Gee people here are awfully harsh. I don't think there is anything wrong with OP's question. He doesn't seem to have a sense of entitlement, just wants to know the chances.

I'd agree with others that the chances aren't very good, but it doesn't hurt to let the GA know it's your honeymoon.

I would definitely email the concierge in your hotels in advance with any requests you have and to let them know it is your honeymoon. There is a good chance they'll do something special for you.
My thoughts as well - crikey, if you're not going to be upgraded on your honeymoon then what other 'significant' events might qualify?

The 'either pay for it or upgrade with more miles' comments would place you in F but these might be made by people who begrudge such an upgrade. No harm in asking - OP seems more than capable to deal with the answer 'No' but don't berate the guy for trying.

Yes he might not have status (we all have to start somewhere) so a question: at what point is a passenger entitled, by those with the 'either pay or get miles... and you trying it on annoys me' comments, to be able to ask for an upgrade and under what circumstances? Plat and honeymoon? EXP and 2nd honeymoon? Gold with a bereavement?

Ask, let the whole world know you're married and have an amazing time together.
Old May 11, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Honeymoons are special occassions as they only happen 6x in one lifetime, if you are Larry King of course.

Mike
Old May 11, 2008, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by kidpachinko
I agree with jtrader. The Hilton Hawaiian Village upgraded us to a nicer Tower room (not a super Suite jump, but a great room!) on our honeymoon, and it made a great trip that much better. (We were HH Gold then, and I think the stay might have been HH points or something - I forget!) Especially with hotels, it doesn't costs them that much extra to have you sleep in a bigger room if they have vacancy.
I understand Spiff's point (ho 'dere, Spiffy!), but he's had a bunch of upgrades along the way with all that status and flying.
I have been lucky enough to have a smattering of op ups, and am always happy at such luck. Expecting such would be a no-no, but when did we start excoriating people for asking for tips to improve chances? -Isn't that why we like to check out FT?
-KP
Hey Kid! Long time and all...

No excoriation here. I thought my suggestion to get 70k more miles was pretty helpful. The OP does have 2 people who can get credit cards (1 will have to transfer miles to the other...), go on mileage runs (again, 1 account would still need to transfer to the other), etc, but you get the idea.

I was being a tad glib pretending to be the random guy, I suppose.

However, I think most people are just trying to help the OP manage his expectations. Paid J, "random guy" or not, is almost certainly going to get the upgrade to F over the honeymooners. So are most non-"random" people via stAAtus, etc. J would have to be full of AAwards and stAAtus-less upgrAAdes while F is pretty empty in order for the OP to have a legitimate shot at the upgrade.

Best of luck, OP and congratulations. Don't have high expecatations and you may get lucky.
Old May 11, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
Honeymoons are special occassions as they only happen 6x in one lifetime, if you are Larry King of course.

Mike
And, in most cases, the flight to the destination is not the bit you recall later in life.
Old May 11, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by bdemaria
if they are doing Op Ups, it won't be a random decision. They will look at elites & paid J tickets.
Often not the case.

I have been AA EXP since 2002 and hold other top statuses. Not once in my millions of miles of flying was I op uped on an airline I have status with.

But I did get an op up on a long Brussels Airlines flight because I happened to be one of the last to board. I am sure there were many status passengers they should have upgraded.

Recently my seat mate was op uped. I was flying on a business class ticket. He was a friend of mine on a cheap coach ticket. We did not check in together. He simply asked at check in if an upgrade was possible. They gave him a J seat. He has no status and there was no reason for them to do this. Only his question.

My point is that airlines look at fares/status and give upgrades accordingly only part of the time. The rest of the time they do whatever is most convenient, the GA upgrades those they recognize, etc.

Asking occasionally gets an upgrade.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; May 11, 2008 at 8:40 pm
Old May 11, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
Spiff,
Didn't mean you - there were some other posters that could not seem to get why the OP was hopin' and-a tryin' to get lucky. But I agree the expectations gots ta stay on the down-low.
Nice hearing from ya, and sorry for the mostly OT response.
-KP
Old May 11, 2008, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
If she truly deserves to be there then pay for it.

I find it funny that people see a honeymoon as an important enough occasion to believe the airline should upgrade them for free, yet at the same time not important enough for them to pay for that upgrade themselves.

If you want a reliable strategy then pay for it. Travelling in F was important for me on my honeymoon so I paid for it. I suggest you do the same to avoid disappointment.
Actually, Fraser, I think the more accurate thing to say would be your DAD paid for your honeymoon trip in F.
Old May 11, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
The comments here have been spot on. IMHO, the chances of an upgrade just for the asking are slim, but the chance is greater than zero.

I also think the point some posters make about business actually being better for newlyweds is something the OP might really want to think about. My wife and I did a RTW earlier this year in first, and even though we were always seated next to each other, the physical distance between us was pretty darn far. Holding hands was always possible, but forget about any physical contact besides that. Conversation was not the most comfortable because we had to lean so far over. Want to kiss? Forget it.

Now in business, you are squeezed in kind of close. When I was a newlywed, that would have _very_ much been my preference.
Old May 11, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

A big room would just be a waste. All we want is a clean place to sleep and shower.
So is F using this logic. You just need a way to fly to Japan. In J.

This isn't as weak as the guy turning 21 who thought he should get F to Hawaii on his Q fare, and a cart to and from the plane at both ariports and was stunned that nobody agreed with him.
Old May 11, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I agree with pretty much every poster here. Be nice, it doesn't hurt to ask, but in the end you probably will not get upgraded. But do come back and update us as to the outcome. Now let's review the facts...

You want to upgrade to seats that are separated and farther apart from each other; AND all you use the hotel room for is sleeping and showering. Oh yeah it's obvious, you're married.
Old May 11, 2008, 9:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
True enough - unless they decide to take a really long break.

Originally Posted by dayone
Probably closer to 100% by June 19.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Thanks guys... it's all good advice.

It's not like I'm not a good AA customer. I was Gold for a few years and I have been in F on the lie flats and I know what you mean about the distance between seats. It might be more appropriate on the way back when we are exhausted. I've probably flown over $50k worth of paid Int'l J over the years, and I've been randomly op-up'd twice, so it does happen. It's in AA's interest to keep me happy as I there is potential future business for them if they don't piss me off, like United has done. To be clear though, I am not expecting anything.

You guys have been helpful, I wasn't sure if I should talk to the GA or someone at the AC, but clearly the GA is the keyholder.

The other important thing no one has said is that that specific flight/route has a tendency to be full. I'm sure it will be mostly full - just some routes consistently zero availability and I'm getting that this isn't one of them.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: AA PLT
A friend and his new bride were travelling on TG from London through Bangkok to Koh Samui. At check-in at Heathrow he mentioned that this was their honeymoon, and was there any chance of an upgrade. The check-in clerk sighed and said "Do you see the 150 people behind you, sir? They're ALL on their bloody honeymoon". Come to think of it, they (especially she) are quite a cute couple. Honeymoon upgrade? What absolute twaddle. Cheers.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there.
It's in AA's interest to keep me happy as I there is potential future business for them if they don't piss me off, like United has done.
Azmojo, I've read through this whole thread and your OP several times but before I give my comments, I'll cut to the chase.

When you check in at PHX, ask the counter agent how he or she is. The response will probably be something like, "Fine, how are you?" You should say something like, "We're very excited. We're on our honeymoon."

That's it. Finished. Done. If anything will happen, it will happen from that.

Now, for the comments. In order to understand the mindset of some of the posters here, I would suggest you read a number of past threads, but especially this one, particularly post #5.

Personally, I think a touch of humility is called for. The prevailing view on this forum seems to be that if you want to fly F you either buy an F ticket, redeem miles for an F ticket or use your status to upgrade. I agree with this feeling.

Indeed, when my girlfriend and I fly together, that's how we get up front. You say "We are a young, fun, and (if I say so myself) cute couple and we would make the F cabin look great if we were sitting up there." Are you for real? No one is going to make the F cabin look great. People fly F for the service and amenities, not who their fellow pax are. Do you think the two of you are "cuter" than Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes? They pay for their tickets.

Anyone who has flown CDG-JFK a few times up front (particularly during fashion weeks) can relate stories of sitting near models and supermodels all of whom were flying on paid tickets. My seatmate once was a male model who was constantly being hit on by a couple of FAs and it certainly annoyed both of us rather than doing anything to enhance the trip.

Next, the AA check in counter at PHX is staffed by such miserable wretches that on leaving the counter, one finds the TSA guys to the left screening checked bags to be nice. (And yes, I have written Arpey about them.)

If I had to bet on one of the least likely AA stations in which to expect special treatment, PHX would be on top of my list. I wouldn't bet on them upgrading John and Cindy McCain.

Incidentally, it's in AA's interest to keep every passenger happy, within reason, but some more than others. Clearly the more you have spent on your ticket, the more miles you have earned are factors weighing highly in their business decisions. How do you think some of the multi-million milers here feel when we don't get what we feel we properly paid for? You want a freebie. Read that again.

Also, I have heard that on certain flights at certain times (e.g. JFK to most Caribbean destinations on Sunday mornings in the winter), the planes are filled with honeymooners. How should AA decide who gets upgraded, fare purchased, miles and status or "cuteness."

Good luck on your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.