Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Large Pax buying 2 seats on AA flight... get AAdvantage credit for each?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier

I am a big guy, though still able to fit into an AA seat without seatbelt extender; I do not spill over into the adjacent seat. However, I was thinking, if a person buys 2 seats on an AA flight in order to accommodate the person's physical size, can said person get Aadvantage credit for both of the seats?

This could be a relatively lucrative way to maximize the benefits of a MR if so...

eta: I did a search, but the threads relating to Pax Of Size seemed to all relate to FTers looking for compensation for having had to sit next to (practically underneath) one.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
I am a big guy, though still able to fit into an AA seat without seatbelt extender; I do not spill over into the adjacent seat. However, I was thinking, if a person buys 2 seats on an AA flight in order to accommodate the person's physical size, can said person get Aadvantage credit for both of the seats?

This could be a relatively lucrative way to maximize the benefits of a MR if so...

eta: I did a search, but the threads relating to Pax Of Size seemed to all relate to FTers looking for compensation for having had to sit next to (practically underneath) one.
no
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacirema
no
Care to elaborate? Is there a written policy to this effect? How would a large-sized pax even go about purchasing the extra ticket?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How would a large-sized pax even go about purchasing the extra ticket?
Telephone AA?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveler
Seems to me to be only fair - I'd be interested to hear what you find out if you call them, your right about the MR's if this is the case!

Does SWA give double points for people they require to purchase two seats?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Iirc, miles for one seat only - the more the incentive to buy YUP/KUP etc. and qualify on points, not to mention get more comfort.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:37 pm

call, discuss, debate, eleborate, etc

it's still a no
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
If you can fly the friendly skies, United does offer miles for a second seat.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daveinsf
It seems to me that this would be a good way to encourage Pax of Size to actually purchase the number of seats they would occupy; I cannot think of a good reason why AA would not give credit for each seat flown in. Yes, a few FTers (specifically, I) would take aadvantage of the rule in order to maximize their MRs, but I think it would be a net positive in avoiding awkward situations for other pax to suffer and FA's to ignore.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
It seems to me that this would be a good way to encourage Pax of Size to actually purchase the number of seats they would occupy; I cannot think of a good reason why AA would not give credit for each seat flown in. Yes, a few FTers (specifically, I) would take aadvantage of the rule in order to maximize their MRs, but I think it would be a net positive in avoiding awkward situations for other pax to suffer and FA's to ignore.
It's for the same reason that one has to actually fly a given flight, and not just book and pay for it. In that case, let's say I live in the Bay Area, and see a very good fare out of CLE. Well, I could book several of those and earn miles/status cheaply. If they allowed multiple seats to get credit, I could find a $200 transcon, book 20 of them and have EXP very quickly. I realize that this is an exaggeration of what you're talking about, but I would imagine that they see the potential for abuse if they allowed it in reasonable cases, such as yours.

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by nacirema
call, discuss, debate, eleborate, etc

it's still a no
The OP seems to want elaboration.. He can check on AA.com Advantage terms and conditions..
"Mileage can only be accumulated one time per flight, regardless of the number of seats purchased. "

So the answer is still NO... but I am sure that others will debate this.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...Conditions.jsp

Last edited by nytango; Jan 28, 2008 at 3:54 pm Reason: added link
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
SWA does not give credit for the 2nd seat. BUT, they refund the money if the flight goes out with ANY open seats. They give you your money back regardless of the ticket being refundable or not.

You purchase the second seat just as the first. Instead of using your full 1st name, you only use your 1st initial.

At checkin, you get a printed card to put on the seond seat so no one sits there.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by daveinsf
I drug my butt on three ORD-LAX roundtrips in a weekend last November on the AA25X promotion. I would have gladly bought a D-E-F row on a mad dog and done only one round trip.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
however, your Cello/Viola or other instrument could have it's own seat and ear it's own miles. So maybe John "Left Cheek" Smith could as well, and he just sits by John Smith? Or book one for your Viola and get both swipped
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fahrradman
I drug my butt on three ORD-LAX roundtrips in a weekend last November on the AA25X promotion. I would have gladly bought a D-E-F row on a mad dog and done only one round trip.
I would wait for the transon widebody and lay across 5 . Less R/t's to EXP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.