Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I standby for an earlier flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
what if it is the domestic portion of an international flight?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by j-weezy
Man you guys know so much about other carriers - or just have mad internet skillz. Having lived in the DFW area most of my life I've really only experienced the AA wAAy.

A little (more) off-topic: why is it that you can't fly standby on international flights? Less incentive for the airlines - less likely to need a standby flight from the pax end?
I thing this is a good question. Usually there is only one flight per day to some locations. Does anybody know the logic to this?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I have a flight out of ATL at 1:20 on WED, there is a flight that is very very light at 10:35. Would AA allow me to board the earlier flight at no charge, if I were there and ready to go?

I hate asking this but I cannot remember which airlines will let you and which ones will not. Thanks for your understanding.
Have done this quite a few times without issue or any fees. I agree with others that if you really want to make sure you make it, do the $25 confirmed standby when you get to the airport.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I thing this is a good question. Usually there is only one flight per day to some locations. Does anybody know the logic to this?
My guess, and it is a total guess, would be about required advance paperwork with regards to international destinations, to make life easier and avoid delays, since standby list often doesn't clear until just up to departure time.

That said, it never hurts to ask the gate agent or AC AAngels, as it's a policy that seemingly can be overridden for various reasons--for instance anticipated weather issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.