FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Can I standby for an earlier flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/781211-can-i-standby-earlier-flight.html)

EasternTraveler Jan 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Can I standby for an earlier flight?

I have a flight out of ATL at 1:20 on WED, there is a flight that is very very light at 10:35. Would AA allow me to board the earlier flight at no charge, if I were there and ready to go?

I hate asking this but I cannot remember which airlines will let you and which ones will not. Thanks for your understanding.

oklAAhoma Jan 19, 2008 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler (Post 9101184)
I have a flight out of ATL at 1:20 on WED, there is a flight that is very very light at 10:35. Would AA allow me to board the earlier flight at no charge, if I were there and ready to go?

I hate asking this but I cannot remember which airlines will let you and which ones will not. Thanks for your understanding.

Yes, although there are some exceptions, AA generally allows same day standby. Just present yourself early at the airport and ask to be put on the standby list. Then hope that nothing out of the ordinary happens to mess up the flight loads that morning.

miamigrad Jan 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Yes, AA allows you to standy for free (same day) or to confirm standby (if available) for $25

j3823x Jan 19, 2008 8:57 pm

The biggest exception I can think of is if your ticket is a bulk fare type ticket (eg Priceline) or an international ticket with special restrictions.

Unlike DL (or maybe I'm thinking of its now gone baby, Song) for the most part AA doesn't mind you getting to your destination a little early if they have space.

j-weezy Jan 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by j3823x (Post 9101438)
The biggest exception I can think of is if your ticket is a bulk fare type ticket (eg Priceline) or an international ticket with special restrictions.

Unlike DL (or maybe I'm thinking of its now gone baby, Song) for the most part AA doesn't mind you getting to your destination a little early if they have space.

some airlines don't allow traveling standby?? I'd think they'd all support it (to an extent) - filling up earlier flights in the day can mean fewer problems (weather, other delays, etc.) at the end of the day.

teabird Jan 19, 2008 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by j-weezy (Post 9101542)
some airlines don't allow traveling standby?? I'd think they'd all support it (to an extent) - filling up earlier flights in the day can mean fewer problems (weather, other delays, etc.) at the end of the day.

You would think so. But NW policy is that you can present yourself at the gate of the earlier flight and see if there's room. If there is, then you pay $25 to board the plane. If there's not, you pay nothing. I think it's an awful policy myself, as the traveller takes all the risk showing up and waiting around, and the airline gets all the benefits (the chance to free up a seat on the later flight and some extra cash). Yet another reason I prefer American!

JumboD Jan 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by teabird (Post 9101567)
You would think so. But NW policy is that you can present yourself at the gate of the earlier flight and see if there's room. If there is, then you pay $25 to board the plane. If there's not, you pay nothing. I think it's an awful policy myself, as the traveller takes all the risk showing up and waiting around, and the airline gets all the benefits (the chance to free up a seat on the later flight and some extra cash). Yet another reason I prefer American!

I think this is silly because you want to encourage standbys. Once the door is about to close, you ain't selling any more seats on the flight. OTOH, by taking someone off a full flight three hours later, you increase the chances of selling seats on that flight, each of which will be worth a lot more than $25 (like in excess of $1,000 on certain routes). Then again, I'm sure the folks at NW know what they're doing. Oh, wait, yea, oops, my bad, forgot about the whole BK thing.

j3823x Jan 20, 2008 12:00 am

Originally Posted by j-weezy (Post 9101542)

Here are a couple policies.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ndby/index.jsp

http://www.jetblue.com/p/jetblue_coc_102006.pdf (Search for standby)

Very unfriendly if you ask me.

dstan Jan 20, 2008 12:33 am

US charges $25 for non-elites as well. :td:

mvoight Jan 20, 2008 4:07 am

Yes, standbys are permitted on AA.
Checkin time, in addition to other factors, affects standby and upgrade priority, so check in as close to 24 hours ahead as possible.

Ajohn Jan 20, 2008 4:27 am

And remember, no standby on international flights.

TravelerMSY Jan 20, 2008 3:21 pm

No free standby on WN, except for full fare tickets.

rumrunner102 Jan 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ajohn (Post 9102340)
And remember, no standby on international flights.

"International" as defined by AA; e.g., US to Caribbean you can fly standby. I've had GA's and TA's both in the Caribbean and at MIA and LAX, try to tell me I couldn't standby. The TA at LAX even condescendingly tried to educate me by telling me that SXM is an int'l destination by stating "You need a passport, don't you? Don't you?" It was odd having to educate her about AA's definition of international...

Thumper Jan 20, 2008 5:41 pm

I've been able to be stand by for the 7Pm DFW BDL. The next flight is the following morning at 9AM.

Did it last Thursday.

j-weezy Jan 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Man you guys know so much about other carriers - or just have mad internet skillz. Having lived in the DFW area most of my life I've really only experienced the AA wAAy.

A little (more) off-topic: why is it that you can't fly standby on international flights? Less incentive for the airlines - less likely to need a standby flight from the pax end?