Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Which miles count towards account Lifetime Miles? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which miles count towards account Lifetime Miles? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, AA EX PLT 1MM+, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT, etc.
Originally Posted by videomaker
Which card is that with a 60k limit for non-elites?
Today's mail was for a Citi Gold / AAdvantage Visa Signature card (with a 30,000 AAdvantage Bonus after your first $750 in purchases in 4 months). They seem to alternate between Gold and Platinum Card offers every few weeks, before they hit the shredder . I guess the Gold limit is 60k and Platinum is 100k for non-elites.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
Nope. Assuming you don't have status with AA, since you say you hardly ever fly them, you'd be limited on the number of miles you could get annually from the card.

This is from Citi's website:
"The maximum number of American Airlines AAdvantage® miles you can earn with the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard® is 100,000 AAdvantage® miles per calendar year. AAdvantage® bonus miles are excluded from this cap. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members are excluded from this limit."
Ahhh, thank you for clearing that up. Well, not that big of a loss since I never fly AA. Just thought it would be good to snag in case I ever start flying them in the future. Oh well, no big deal. Thanks for the help though, as I try to figure out more credit card programs to spread out my annual business expenditures to get the best perks for travel :P I charge about 5 mil per year on various cards; please tell me if you know of any good suggestions or hotel/airline status "get-arounds" for people that are able to charge a decent amount like that to a single card. I think I have already most of them already that pertain to my travels, and I've been too opposed to putting forth the $7500 for centurion as of yet :P [customer service won't waive the fee :@ ...] I was glad to find the amex Delta MQM bonus though; works out well for me since DTW is my home airport.

Thanks for the help! Flyertalk is awesome
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA MM
Originally Posted by tingalex
Ahhh, thank you for clearing that up. Well, not that big of a loss since I never fly AA. Just thought it would be good to snag in case I ever start flying them in the future. Oh well, no big deal. Thanks for the help though, as I try to figure out more credit card programs to spread out my annual business expenditures to get the best perks for travel :P I charge about 5 mil per year on various cards; please tell me if you know of any good suggestions or hotel/airline status "get-arounds" for people that are able to charge a decent amount like that to a single card. I think I have already most of them already that pertain to my travels, and I've been too opposed to putting forth the $7500 for centurion as of yet :P [customer service won't waive the fee :@ ...] I was glad to find the amex Delta MQM bonus though; works out well for me since DTW is my home airport.

Thanks for the help! Flyertalk is awesome
Well, if you're really interested in getting the status, you could always plan an international trip on AA, use it to do a challenge (see: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA) ), get status for the year, and then charge a million (or two ) during that year to get your lifetime status...
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tingalex
I charge about 5 mil per year on various cards; please tell me if you know of any good suggestions or hotel/airline status "get-arounds" for people that are able to charge a decent amount like that to a single card. I think I have already most of them already that pertain to my travels, and I've been too opposed to putting forth the $7500 for centurion as of yet :P [customer service won't waive the fee :@ ...]
There's a separate forum for credit cards. You'd probably find better advice there or on other airline boards, since this one deals specifically with AA issues.

I do find it a little surprising that someone who charges $5 million a year on credit cards would even worry about paying the Centurion fee.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do find it a little surprising that someone who charges $5 million a year on credit cards would even worry about paying the Centurion fee.
Depends one whether that person feels that the Centurion fees are worth paying for what it gives over, say, Platinum
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
It's the very principle behind it that bothers me, not an inability to afford the fee. The concept of paying Amex that much when I already charge that many purchases on THEIR card seems ridiculous. Guess my plat will due until someone wants to waive initiation. Thanks for the help though; I'll try posting on the card forums.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
I'm pretty sure the miles don't post until after you've made the monthly payment (those with AA cards chime in on posting time).
The miles post within a day or two of statement closing date; payment date is irrelevant.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: OW Emerald, AA EX PLT 1MM+, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT, etc.
Originally Posted by thedoorchick
The miles post within a day or two of statement closing date; payment date is irrelevant.
Thanks. And since statement date is after payment date that makes sense.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TheFlyingFoodie
And since statement date is after payment date that makes sense.
You may still be misunderstanding it a bit.

The miles for new purchases post very close to the statement date, and before payment is received for those new purchases.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:59 am

You may still be misunderstanding it a bit.

The miles for new purchases post very close to the statement date, and before payment is received for those new purchases.
@:-) Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheFlyingFoodie
Thanks. And since statement date is after payment date that makes sense.
The "earlier" payment date is for PREVIOUS statement, not the current statement.

Your payment date for the current statement is ALWAYS at least 21 days AFTER statement date. If the issuer treats you well, it would be 25 days AFTER statement date.

You may want to get a better understanding the relationship between these 2 dates.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:44 pm

1,000,000 miles from any source.....BIS, bonus, credit card, etc gets you lifetime GOLD. 2,000,000 miles gets you lifetime PLATINUM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Happy
The "earlier" payment date is for PREVIOUS statement, not the current statement.

Your payment date for the current statement is ALWAYS at least 21 days AFTER statement date. If the issuer treats you well, it would be 25 days AFTER statement date.

You may want to get a better understanding the relationship between these 2 dates.
Thanks Happy, I do understand that relationship. My confusion was when the miles posted and videomaker got the lightbulb to go on with his response. I'll review the cc thread if I have any future queries as this line has gotten OT.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, SPG Gold
Question, just read that you can buy Alaska Airlines miles for 2.7 cents per mile, and can tranfer that to american airlines. If that is true, does that go to your lifetime mileage totals?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by markme61
Question, just read that you can buy Alaska Airlines miles for 2.7 cents per mile, and can tranfer that to american airlines. If that is true, does that go to your lifetime mileage totals?
Any mileage added to your account would count toward the PTD (Program To Date) mileage bank and would *currently* count toward lifetime status. However, I'm not aware of any means to do a direct transfer of Alaska miles to the AAdvantage program. Do you have a source for that?

EDITED TO ADD:
Welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.