Which miles count towards account Lifetime Miles? (consolidated)

Old Oct 17, 07, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Which miles count towards account Lifetime Miles? (consolidated)

Original thread title: Question about lifetime miles (Will gifted miles count toward lifetime miles?)

I am trying to work my wa[/COLOR]y toward lifetime status through accruing miles. My question is this: If my wife were to transfer or gift miles to me, do they still count toward my lifetime mile total? And do they still count toward her lifetime mile status? Thank you

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

ALL miles that appear in your account, regardless of source, count toward Lifetime Status (million mile increment) qualification (with the exception of redeposited miles, which counted when they originally appeared in the account.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 25, 11 at 6:04 pm Reason: add mod note
Old Oct 17, 07, 8:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Interestingly enough, they do, and they do.

Miles from all / any source into your account are lifetime miles - flown (EQ) miles, bonus miles of all kinds, gifted, purchased or shared miles to your accoun AA shopping portal credit cards, AAdvantage Dining, transfer miles (e.g. SPG to AA, or as in my case with about 500k miles, subsumed by AA from my TW Aviators account, ), all redeemable miles count (but not, as queried below, if they are redeposited from cancelled trips - miles count ONCE coming into the account).

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 20, 10 at 12:03 pm Reason: extend answer
Old Oct 17, 07, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
so for my wife and i to accumulate lifetime miles we can literally gift back and forth?
Old Oct 17, 07, 8:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines
costs to donate

I have found the cost to transfer miles to be excessive.
Old Oct 17, 07, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by family friend View Post
so for my wife and i to accumulate lifetime miles we can literally gift back and forth?
Considering you can only receive 15,000 miles per year (at a cost of $180) it might just take you a lifetime.
Old Oct 18, 07, 6:20 am
hm3

Programs: AA Gold, 1 mm
Originally Posted by family friend View Post
Yes, but in addition to the cost, as has been pointed out, your wife loses any miles given you. And vice-versa. So if you literally give back and forth, you will end up where you began, sans a lot of money.
Old Oct 18, 07, 6:30 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Considering you can only receive 15,000 miles per year (at a cost of $180) it might just take you a lifetime.
Ah ... but once your life time is over (or someone elses) the miles left in the decedants accounts (estate) can be transfered without limitations....
Old Oct 18, 07, 6:48 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hm3 View Post
Yes, but in addition to the cost, as has been pointed out, your wife loses any miles given you. And vice-versa. So if you literally give back and forth, you will end up where you began, sans a lot of money.
This is incorrect, the Lifetime Miles counter counts all miles that you earn in any way. It is not affected by anything you do with your available miles, including gifting them away.
Old Oct 18, 07, 6:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

There are practical limits to using your wife's miles, as you can see above.

Be sure you are maximizing miles every way you can - Starwood credit card for hotel stays etc. (with the bonus of 20% more miles when you change them for AA miles,) Rewards Network (née iDine) dining, Citi AA Business card for AA charges (earn two miles per dollar,) shopping via the AA shopping portal, use a miles earning card for almost everything you can, including utility payments, etc. etc. etc. You could even pay your taxes with your miles-earning card, if you want to pay the service fee (iirc, 2.5%?)

Dig down - there is a lot of helpful information on this Forum.

Think strategically, and you can increase the miles you are earning; I'm a piker and am already past 3.5M, but we have some serious miles earners around here who are above 10M. Miles from your wife are a very small part of that, IMO.
Old Oct 18, 07, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SPG Gold, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
There are practical limits to using your wife's miles, as you can see above.

Be sure you are maximizing miles every way you can - Starwood credit card for hotel stays etc. (with the bonus of 20% more miles when you change them for AA miles,) Rewards Network (née iDine) dining, Citi AA Business card for AA charges (earn two miles per dollar,) shopping via the AA shopping portal, use a miles earning card for almost everything you can, including utility payments, etc. etc. etc. You could even pay your taxes with your miles-earning card, if you want to pay the service fee (iirc, 2.5%?)

Dig down - there is a lot of helpful information on this Forum.

Think strategically, and you can increase the miles you are earning; I'm a piker and am already past 3.5M, but we have some serious miles earners around here who are above 10M. Miles from your wife are a very small part of that, IMO.
I agree that there are much better ways to get to 1mm+. I started the year at 6k, and decided to go for 1mm. I switched to AA for flying, and should have ~25k BIS miles by the end of the year, and PLT via a challenge to increase bonus miles. However, with bonuses from credit cards, banks, investment accounts, and iDine, I expect to finish the year around 350k. One of the best deals right now is the SPG platinum has a 10k bonus for your first purchase, and a 15k bonus for 15k in spending within 6 months. That is a total of 50k AA miles once converted for spending $15,000. Add to that the SPG business card, and Citi AA personal and business cards. If you can find things to buy on your CC that you can turn around and sell without a loss, you can easily convert your time (spent buying and selling items) into miles.
Old Oct 18, 07, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by edlin303 View Post
I agree that there are much better ways to get to 1mm+. I started the year at 6k, and decided to go for 1mm. I switched to AA for flying, and should have ~25k BIS miles by the end of the year, and PLT via a challenge to increase bonus miles. However, with bonuses from credit cards, banks, investment accounts, and iDine, I expect to finish the year around 350k. One of the best deals right now is the SPG platinum has a 10k bonus for your first purchase, and a 15k bonus for 15k in spending within 6 months. That is a total of 50k AA miles once converted for spending $15,000. Add to that the SPG business card, and Citi AA personal and business cards. If you can find things to buy on your CC that you can turn around and sell without a loss, you can easily convert your time (spent buying and selling items) into miles.
Now that is an approach even more dedicated to accumulating miles than my own!!
Old Oct 18, 07, 10:33 am
Original Poster

i hadnt realized that transferring miles was so cost prohibitive. that doesn't seem worthwhile to me. i commend all of your creative approaches, unfortunately i am unable to get an AAdvantage CC or a SPG Amex. makes it far tougher.
Old Oct 19, 07, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by JGR01 View Post
Ah ... but once your life time is over (or someone elses) the miles left in the decedants accounts (estate) can be transfered without limitations....
Yes, but MM status can't be transferred the same way
Old Oct 19, 07, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edlin303 View Post
Could you direct me to where the information is regarding the earning of the 15k SPG bonus for spending $15,000 within 6 months?

Thank you
Old Oct 19, 07, 9:09 am

Starwood Preferred Guest Forum is well indexed and searchable.

Cheers, Moderator

Originally Posted by 236Dakota View Post
Could you direct me to where the information is regarding the earning of the 15k SPG bonus for spending $15,000 within 6 months?

Thank you

Search this Thread