Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA sues Google over use of AA's trademarks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by venk
Ironically, AA itself has bid for american airlines keyword since a search just now had American Airlines appear at the top of the search list as well as the shaded sponsored link above the search list. .
Not only that but American Airlines has bid on the keywords "American Air" which is not their trademark but just happens to be part of the trademarks of: American Air Corp , American Air and Water and American Air Control

They seem quite happy to bid on parts of other people's trademarks.

They also bid on the keywords "America Airlines" similar to America West Airlines

They also bid on the keyword "AA" used by an number of other enterprises.

Also a trademark/service mark is not copyright. It is not that you cannot use the words or mark at all. The purpose of the trademark/ service mark is to distinguish the services of one provider from the services provided by others, and to indicate the source of the services.

If you search for "american airlines" and the first ad that shows up is for United Airlines and says so very clearly and doesn't mention "american" , that's not very confusing IMHO.

More of a problem would be the ads which link to www.AmericanAirlines.Kayak.com which come up in a search for "American Airlines" or the ad for www.BookAirlineTickets.com which prominently uses the headline "American Eagle Airlines" and comes up in a search for "American Eagle Airlines"

We'll see how this plays out, but I'd be surprised if Google is required to do a full trademark database search for every keyword group suggested by an Adwords advertiser

Last edited by pixpixpix; Aug 21, 2007 at 9:54 pm Reason: clarity and clarity
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
see also technology and marketing law blog commentary
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Seeing all this discussion (which is, I'm sure, miniscule compared to the forests of paperwork this case will generate in the Real World) makes me glad I went into Engineering, where things are generally absolute, instead of the Law. 25 nanoseconds will always equate to 40 megahertz anywhere on Earth for example, now and forever.
Complain to your instructor. 25 nsec does not equal 40 MHz, now or ever. One is time, one is frequency (inverse time). 25 nsec equals one cycle at a frequency of 40 MHz, now and forever. Things may be absolute in engineering, but careful use of units of measurement still matters!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pixpixpix
Not only that but American Airlines has bid on the keywords "American Air" which is not their trademark but just happens to be part of the trademarks of: American Air Corp , American Air and Water and American Air Control

They seem quite happy to bid on parts of other people's trademarks.

They also bid on the keywords "America Airlines" similar to America West Airlines

They also bid on the keyword "AA" used by an number of other enterprises...
This is perfectly OK. The requirement is that you have to have a legitimate business interest in the term. There is no requirement that this interest be unique, that nobody else can have one.

When Delta Air Lines went to get an Internet domain name, they found that the Delta Faucets people already had delta.com. They had to settle for delta-airlines.com until they could buy the domain name they wanted from the plumbing supply folks. I don't have any information on that transaction, but it's common to pay a good deal of money and also post a prominent link to their new domain on your Web site for a year or so. The reason they had to do this is that Delta Faucets had as valid a business interest in delta.com as they did.

This is different from cybersquatting, where you register delta.com (or whatever) before DL figures out this Web thing, even though you have no business interest in the name, and then extort money from them for it. Cybersquatting is illegal, as well as nearly irrelevant these days as companies that haven't figured out this Web thing are pretty thin on the ground. If you try it, the company whose name you registered can appeal to the domain registrar for the top-level domain in question, who will then give them the domain name at no fee (if those are the facts). Nobody questions AA's business interest in the above variations on their name.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
This is perfectly OK. The requirement is that you have to have a legitimate business interest in the term. There is no requirement that this interest be unique, that nobody else can have one.
I think the point was that AA's claim was sort of like accusing a vendor of selling goods stolen from them while themselves purchasing goods that would stolen from others by the same logic. Either both are true or both are false.

While technically, I don't think AA has a case at all and the whole thing looks silly, perhaps Google needs this wake up call to stop pretending that abuse by their advertisers (with the misleading use of tradenames in their ads) don't happen and/or that they are not responsible at all for such abuse. They might be able to prevail over AA but if companies start to sue Google on a regular basis, that can affect their bottom line.

Since such abuses are short-lived and fleeting, it is not practical for companies to go after each such advertiser, especially when they tend to be small operations. So the only practical alternative is to make the publisher that provides this avenue responsible.

Google needs to create AND enforce a strong policy of non-trademark abuse in their competitor's ads, not because any law necessarily requires it but otherwise, they are antagonizing a large number of credible entities many of whom are profitable customers for Google. Hopefully, AA's goal is just to do that. The monetary loss to AA from such practices, I suspect, is very close to zero (if not zero) in reality but has the potential to grow if unchecked.

On the other hand, getting a few hundred million from Google as settlement, which (while pocket change for Google) can make AA's balance sheet look decidedly better, double or more their quarterly profits and make the management look like geniuses to justify a few more millions to the management from that settlement. Brilliant, eh?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I...On the other hand, getting a few hundred million from Google as settlement, which (while pocket change for Google) can make AA's balance sheet look decidedly better, double or more their quarterly profits and make the management look like geniuses to justify a few more millions to the management from that settlement. Brilliant, eh?
Based on my very limited understanding of this area of the law, I think Google is OK as long as (a) the paid links are clearly identified as such and (b) the pages linked to do not mislead a reasonable person into thinking they have any connection to AA - in which case it's basically the advertiser's problem anyhow, not Google's. It's like a Honda dealer sending a sales announcement to a list of Toyota drivers, or to a list of people who looked at Toyotas on cars.com. As long as they don't claim to be affiliated with Toyota or do anything misleading to create that impression, no problem.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
Based on my very limited understanding of this area of the law, I think Google is OK as long as (a) the paid links are clearly identified as such and (b) the pages linked to do not mislead a reasonable person into thinking they have any connection to AA -
I agree, this has already been discussed earlier in this thread. AA is claiming otherwise for (b). And they might be right if the ad uses AA's trademark in the ads but that won't necessarily make Google liable for it.

However, settling the case out of court is always an option for Google for many reasons unless they can get it dismissed off quickly.

AA will also benefit from a few alms in its hat for the effort to window dress a quarter's returns, without Google even having to blink at it.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
...However, settling the case out of court is always an option for Google for many reasons unless they can get it dismissed off quickly....
That is indeed an option, and is the likely result in most lawsuits. Here, however, Google has to be very concerned about what this case might mean for future litigation and much of its business model. It wouldn't surprise me if they tell their lawyers to fight this on the merits to the end.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
That is indeed an option, and is the likely result in most lawsuits. Here, however, Google has to be very concerned about what this case might mean for future litigation and much of its business model. It wouldn't surprise me if they tell their lawyers to fight this on the merits to the end.
Of course.

If most of the actionable litigation is going to boil down to the use of trademarks within competitor's ads then it would be easier for Google to realize that they do have to police the ads from their advertisers and/or have a strict enforceable policy on such abuse within the ads and settle for that (like they did in Geico's case to separate the sponsored ads clearly but may have to rethink the policy they adopted for (not) policing their customers).

This would not affect their business model except for loss of business from advertisers who would only advertise because they could be deceptive in that fashion. I cannot believe a non-trivial fraction of their business depends on trademark deception by their advertisers.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTravel
AA is going to learn the meaning of a doctrine called "descriptive fair use." The only example given in the complaint was entering the term, "american airlines" as a search. This is not trademark infringement, e.g. I could run an ad that says, "Continental and Northwest are leading American airlines," without infringing any of AA's rights. This should be interesting.
It also seems particularly stupid because this issue has been tried before with google and it's swung against the plaintiffs each time in the US.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I think that AMR could be setting itself up for a very expensive lesson here!
This case has been settled.

“We are pleased that we were able to resolve these claims on mutually satisfactory terms,” American said in a statement Thursday afternoon. “Those terms are confidential.”
Old Jul 18, 2008, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
AA recovered nothing, and the terms are confidential, so hard to see AA getting much out of this.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Connected1
This case has been settled.
Settlements can save money. I still don't know what AMR was thinking.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:51 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
AA recovered nothing, and the terms are confidential, so hard to see AA getting much out of this.
Hopefully they got what they deserved for filing a blatantly frivolous lawsuit -- a lot of money wasted on legal fees.

I'm a big fan of AA, but this lawsuit was absurd.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by justageek
blatantly frivolous lawsuit
The suit was dismissed on mutual agreement of the parties rather than by the judge himself. You would expect the opposite from a frivolous lawsuit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.