Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Free" (Op Up) Upgrade - They deducted upgrades (stickers)!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by surrealuvr
I thought an opup was free,
Op ups are free. This was not an op up. There was nothing "operational" about it.

i guess that ga don't have a mechanism to give the upgrades without using the stickers ?
Yes, they do. For op ups.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Well, I actually do not know if this was an op-up or not.. but what i know was that the flight was overbooked..

And yes, I did not state all the fact that I was booked in Q class and because of the rerouting I have now a Y-class ticket.

Anyway, I think it is clear that those 3 500-miles taken from my account was not a mistake, and would just blame it on myself for not being so experience on such things.. so lesson learnt.. but not too bad an upgrade.. with the nice purser..

Thanks all for the info.

Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Well, I actually do not know if this was an op-up or not.. but what i know was that the flight was overbooked..
Well, the real question is whether or not you actually requested the upgrade. If you requested it, then it is NOT an op-up. From your original post, it's not clear whether you explicitly requested the upgrade to the gate agent.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:11 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, the real question is whether or not you actually requested the upgrade. If you requested it, then it is NOT an op-up. From your original post, it's not clear whether you explicitly requested the upgrade to the gate agent.
Well, I think the "I'm holding a Y-coded ticket" while neglecting to mention that that was not the purchased fare pretty much negates the "was the upgrade explicitly requested" question. Expecting the GA to look up the ticket (after being told it was 'Y') to determine that it was not really 'Y', but 'Q' and then to say "The upgrade will require stickers in this case because it is not real 'Y', blah blah," and to use that as the basis for "but I didn't actually request the upgrade" is flimsy at best. Not saying that nldogbert has suggested doing anything of the sort, but just to add my thoughts to this question.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I thought an opup was free, i guess that ga don't have a mechanism to give the upgrades without using the stickers ?
Op ups are free, this wasn't one.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Angry Docked 3 500 Mile Upgrades without my knowledge

On my last DFW-LAS flight the GA announced that they needed a volunteer to be bumped (standard $200 voucher offer). I volunteered and they took my ticket but asked me to wait in the gate area.

When boarding started they called me to the counter and thanked me but said they no longer needed to bump me. I received my ticket back and boarded to my coach seat.

Boarding was almost completed when they called my name and asked that I come to the front of the plane. As I got out of my seat another passenger assigned to the seat arrived and sat down. When I got to the front of the plane the GA was there, he told me that as a thank you for volunteering my seat they had moved me to FC.

Today I checked my AAdvantage Account and they show 3 upgrades were "Redeemed" for that flight. I called American but was told that I flew in FC so I must have upgraded. The guy sounded like a goon so I'll try again tomorrow but this is really annoying. I decided many flights ago that this route was never worth using upgrades for - less than 3hrs and 1055 miles (if they don't have to round up to 500 why should I?).

Salt to the wound is that this same flight was delayed 2hrs each of the previous 2 weeks. I've had 21 delays in less than 30 days on this route (not associated to weather). I thought "they did something nice, I'll forgive them" then they charge me for it!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Wow, that's just rude. It's good they didn't charge you the difference between the fare you paid and full fare F! Write to AA Customer Service. It's unlikely any of the people on the phones will be able to help you.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by All American Flyer
Wow, that's just rude. It's good they didn't charge you the difference between the fare you paid and full fare F! Write to AA Customer Service. It's unlikely any of the people on the phones will be able to help you.
+1, I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. You have to talk to Costumer Service, but they should be able to promptly reinstate the stickers.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by awpeters
+1, I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. You have to talk to Costumer Service, but they should be able to promptly reinstate the stickers.
This seems a clear "why not pick up the phone and call the plat desk to get them to resolve it."

Guessing in the time it took you to write the blurb on FT you could have had your issue resolved.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by austin_modern
This seems a clear "why not pick up the phone and call the plat desk to get them to resolve it."

Guessing in the time it took you to write the blurb on FT you could have had your issue resolved.
There is no platinum desk.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by mvoight
There is no platinum desk.
+1

Originally Posted by austin_modern

and he already did call AA before posting.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Im sure when you call back this AM and explain what happened, you will get ur 3 back.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by All American Flyer
Definitely call back. The part about the phone folks being unable to do it while email works better is just not accurate. OP hit a bad/unwilling agent. Ask them to verify an upgrade request (and they won't be able to). Obviously don't do it in an adversarial fashion, but do push it. I'm sure it was an honest mistake on the part of AA (they don't scam people into F and then take stickers) but it is a mistake. May take a few calls, but it will get resolved.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I'm guessing you don't have the FC ticket to see what fare you were put in?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Similar thing happened to me couple years back PHX-DFW. I never burn stickers for this as it's only an 1 1/2 flight so I didn't put in an upgrade request. GA called me up before the flight and gave me what I thought was a comp upgrade. Later logged in and saw the 2 stickers deducted from my account. When I called to complain and try to get the upgrades reinstated, the response was, 'well, you got to sit in first class, so we don't really owe you anything'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.