Search

Exit row at 33 weeks pregnant?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyer23

I'm not asking for any rules to be bent for me. I'm just asking that I be allowed to determine what I'm capable of doing, since I think I know myself and my capabilities better than a FA.
And it sounds like you will get that opportunity. Undoubtedly you will be asked specifically if you can perform the duties "in your condition", and you will say "yes". Then you will be allowed to sit there, and we will all hope that you never have a chance to prove your statement

Cheers.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Mr. Flyer23 and I just booked what will be my last pre-baby flight... I'm not sure how I'm going to handle three+ months without setting foot on a plane

Anyway, do you think it would be a problem for me to sit in the exit row? I'll be exactly 33 weeks pregnant on the return flight. I feel comfortable performing the exit row duties, but I'm not sure if I'd get funny looks from the FA with my big belly.
Congratulations, Flyer23! And why have you abandoned us? Pregnancy is no excuse.

It's nice to see you back.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Given the only thing stated is the pax is 33 weeks pregnant, on that basis the only advice I would give (and heartily!) is - don't dive! Unfortunately, in some quarters, pregnancy is seen as a form of disability - possibly many of those who reside in that quarter might see being female the same. For them, I might ask if lobotomees are permitted to sit in exit rows?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
For them, I might ask if lobotomees are permitted to sit in exit rows?
^^ That's perfect! May I borrow it from time to time?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Just politely deal with any inquiries, and it should go smoothly.

I did a weekend in Hawaii being recently off of crutches, but I took them along in case I reinjured the sprain on the trip. Only did a carry-on (pushing the size a little above the technical limit, but definately not the high end of what they routinely allow as domestic carry on ) and the crutches, and sat in exit rows. Got a few inquiries about assistance down the ramp, but I politely declined stating it wasn't necessary. I didn't use the crutches (got them stowed in the front closet most of the time) and had no problem putting my carry-on overhead. Following those performances, I did not get any individual inquiry by an FA on my suitability for the exit rows.

On another flight, I had to ask a girl with a removable splint on her foot that yes, I did want my 2nd exit row aisle seat rather than her 1st exit row aisle seat (I understand the 1st row seats have less recline, so they can't block the 2nd exit row passage). She got past the FA's.

As I understand it, FA's mostly have to rely on the passengers in question as to their willingness and ability to sit in an exit row, unless they are demonstrably unable--like not being willing/able to lift their carry-on bag into the overhead.

Steve
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by steve32
Just politely deal with any inquiries, and it should go smoothly.
Just a guess, but you haven't ever been pregnant before, have you?

Originally Posted by steve32
I didn't use the crutches (got them stowed in the front closet most of the time) and had no problem putting my carry-on overhead. Following those performances, I did not get any individual inquiry by an FA on my suitability for the exit rows.
Hate to break it to you, but being pregnant ain't nuthin' like recovering from a sprained ankle. So you were able to hide your crutches in the front closet? Great. However, Flyer23 won't have the option of stashing anything up there that will conceal her pregnancy from anyone.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
So, I talked this over with Mr. Flyer23, and we're going to move back to a non-exit row. I don't want to risk a FA having a bad day. Since we're flying off-peak times (out Sat morning/home Tue afternoon), we have a good shot at upgrades clearing anyway, but you never know with the Nerd Bird.

Grrrrr... AA, why oh why did you have to put the slaveships on this route? On an MD-80, we'd book AB in one of the first few rows and be happy as clams. (There is 1x/day MD-80, but the times don't work for us )

Originally Posted by vasantn
Congratulations, Flyer23! And why have you abandoned us? Pregnancy is no excuse.
You guys would laugh at my measly mileage totals! My YTD EQMs are barely over 5k!

Plus, I have the AA game pretty well down, but the pregnancy game is another story... so these days, I hang out on pregnant-women message boards. Which are quite entertaining in their own way. When I posted this question over there, someone suggested that if I just wanted more legroom, I should book the bulkhead. I responded that unfortunately, the bulkhead is an exit row. She replied back, "You should call your airline to check, because I know when I fly Southwest, the bulkhead isn't an exit row."

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
However, Flyer23 won't have the option of stashing anything up there that will conceal her pregnancy from anyone.
That would be fun if I could, though Some days, I wish I could put this belly aside for a few hours!!
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
AA requires medical cert.

Don't know why you gave up exit row and I hope your upgrade clears and have a great trip... BTW while others have debated disability/pregnancy, ability to lift weights etc, and while I agree that you are not disabled,or not capable,,,, I dont see any mention of AA's rules about needing a medical certificate to fly within one month of birth... you might want to check that to avoid issues or maybe you are not correct about the weeks

just checked on AA.com search "pregnant" not only is certificate required but special clearance prior to flight. for domestic flights with 4 weeks and international has more restrictive regs.

Last edited by nytango; Apr 1, 2007 at 9:15 am
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I think 33 weeks pregnant is too far along to be in the exit row. Remember, the person in the exit row is practically responsible for helping others out in an emergency. Even the OP says she's fine, I don't think anyone's whose 33 weeks pregnant is quite as mobile and quick as someone who is not pregnant. Sorry!
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My niece flew AA internationally at about 33 weeks, had she had her medical clearance letter. Nobody checked anything; IMO it might be difficult for an airline employee to guess the term of the pregnancy exactly. (They may know why we fly, but there are certain things they don't know. )
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Even the OP says she's fine, I don't think anyone's whose 33 weeks pregnant is quite as mobile and quick as someone who is not pregnant. Sorry!
You believe that every non-pregnant person who sits in an exit row is more mobile and quick than any 33 week pregnant woman? Have you actually paid attention to some of the people allowed to sit in exit rows?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by nytango
Don't know why you gave up exit row
Honestly, it was some of the responses on this thread. Not to slam anyone who responded, in the least -- I appreciate the opinions! They showed me that there are many people out there who will not look past my pregnant belly and who will just assume what I'm capable/not capable of doing based solely on that. If we switch now, we can still grab seats together in a row closer to the front with a powerport. If we wait, and end up with an FA who thinks the way that some of the responders on this thread think, we'll have to take whatever seats happen to be open 5 mins before departure.

Originally Posted by nytango
just checked on AA.com search "pregnant" not only is certificate required but special clearance prior to flight. for domestic flights with 4 weeks and international has more restrictive regs.
That's not the policy: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...lePregnant.jsp

I'm well outside the 7-day window for domestic travel (flight is April 17, due date is June 5), and I'm still fairly small for how far along I am (baby is measuring on-time or a bit ahead, but people are often surprised to find out I'm almost 7 months along). I'm actually in Dallas right now and had zero problems on my outbound flight, and this next trip is only two weeks away.

But I may ask for a doctor's note at my next appointment anyway, and carry along a printed copy of AA's pregnancy policy. Wouldn't want my trip ruined just because "the stupids are out in full force," as RDUWanderer so eloquently put it

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Personally, I think 33 weeks pregnant is too far along to be in the exit row. Remember, the person in the exit row is practically responsible for helping others out in an emergency. Even the OP says she's fine, I don't think anyone's whose 33 weeks pregnant is quite as mobile and quick as someone who is not pregnant. Sorry!
That's a huge generalization. Am I as mobile as I was pre-pregnancy? No, of course not. But I daresay I'm more mobile now than many people who regularly sit in the exit row without a second glance.

If we want the most mobile people on the flight in the exit row, we should do some sort of agility contest just prior to boarding and assign people to exit row seats based on that. And you're right, at 33 weeks pregnant, I'd probably miss out. So would a lot of non-pregnant people.

Until that happens, AA's policy says that anyone capable of meeting the exit row requirements can sit in an exit row. Does that mean every 33-week-pregnant woman should be allowed to sit in an exit row? No, just like not every 33-year-old man should be allowed to sit in an exit row. (What if he has a separated shoulder? A heart condition? What if he's morbidly obese?) But anyone who is capable and willing, like me, should be allowed to do so, regardless of pregnancy or anything else.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Silver, HH Silver
...Many people out there who will not look past my pregnant belly and who will just assume what I'm capable/not capable of doing based solely on that. If we switch now, we can still grab seats together in a row closer to the front with a powerport. If we wait, and end up with an FA who thinks the way that some of the responders on this thread think, we'll have to take whatever seats happen to be open 5 mins before departure.
I think this is probably the least stressful decision, given the circumstances. I personally wouldn't boot you out of the exit row, but as you said, lots of others think differently. And if you're unlucky with the TA, GA, FA, or flight crew -- or random passenger seated nearby who freaks out -- you might find yourself in 57E.

Enjoy your trip. And the baby.

PS PM me when you're ready to talk about traveling with a breast pump.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Honestly, it was some of the responses on this thread. Not to slam anyone who responded, in the least -- I appreciate the opinions!
And now for the question we've all been waiting for: have you figured out a way for your child to get miles for this trip?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT; 1MM
I think I read the whole thread carefully and didn't see the 'magic question': did you ask your doctor? If there was any slight hesitation from your medical professional, then I would go by that and not use the exit row. If not, then it is entirely up to you and more of a choice of putting up with the potential strange looks, etc.

The other thing someone mentioned was that you will be theoretically responsible for ensuring people are exiting safely. Do the responsibilities end with opening and removing the door? I don't know exactly. But in my mind, I kind of picture the exit row person being someone who is also trying to help people once the door is opened. If I were on the plane, you would be the type of passenger that I would want to make sure exited safely and immediately since you are really two people! People are just naturally inclined to want to help, not be helped by, a pregnant woman, it is just human nature I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.