Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit row at 33 weeks pregnant?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Exit row at 33 weeks pregnant?

Mr. Flyer23 and I just booked what will be my last pre-baby flight... I'm not sure how I'm going to handle three+ months without setting foot on a plane

Anyway, do you think it would be a problem for me to sit in the exit row? I'll be exactly 33 weeks pregnant on the return flight. I feel comfortable performing the exit row duties, but I'm not sure if I'd get funny looks from the FA with my big belly.

Hopefully our upgrades will clear and it won't be an issue anyway, but I wanted to check lest I get booted out at the airport, when all that's available is a middle seat at the back
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:20 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are the official guidelines from aa.com. I think only the last point would have the potential to apply in this case. I doub't anyone would say you were unable to perform the exit row duties, but who knows. I'd use miles and guarantee the UG.

Originally Posted by aa.com
You are about to be assigned an exit seat.

Government rules require that passengers seated in an exit seat must be:
* Willing to assist in an evacuation
* Able to operate the exit door and assist others in exiting
* 15 years of age or older

You may not sit in an exit seat if you:
* Are traveling with a child under 15 years of age or another passenger who requires your care
* Lack visual capacity or require corrective aids beyond eyeglasses/contact lenses
* Require assistance beyond a hearing aid to hear and understand verbal instructions
* Are unable to understand printed emergency exit instructions or crewmember instructions
* Have a condition that might prevent you from performing evacuation functions or injure you while performing such functions
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
It's the last point that I'm worried about. I've discovered that people tend to treat pregnant women like china dolls (like the woman who told me a few weeks ago that I shouldn't be lifting my rollaboard into the overhead bin) and it would be unfortunate if my FA had that mentality.

It's just SJC-AUS, not worth burning the miles on an UG, even if it does mean a non-exit-row seat on a 757.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer23
Mr. Flyer23 and I just booked what will be my last pre-baby flight... I'm not sure how I'm going to handle three+ months without setting foot on a plane

Anyway, do you think it would be a problem for me to sit in the exit row? I'll be exactly 33 weeks pregnant on the return flight. I feel comfortable performing the exit row duties, but I'm not sure if I'd get funny looks from the FA with my big belly.

Hopefully our upgrades will clear and it won't be an issue anyway, but I wanted to check lest I get booted out at the airport, when all that's available is a middle seat at the back
If you were not in an exit row would you be Ok if the exit rows had 33 week pregnant people in the exit row and there was an incident? If the FA is doing their job they will request u to move.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:11 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
With the flight being a 757 why not attempt to book the seats 9A/9B (exit rows at door 2L) [or 7D/7E if ex-TWA] as there is a FA jump seated right there and the door is a full sized door not a window plug.

That would be the better option.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
(like the woman who told me a few weeks ago that I shouldn't be lifting my rollaboard into the overhead bin) and it would be unfortunate if my FA had that mentality.
Well, think of it this way, if you can't (or won't because you're pregnant) lift your own roller-board bag, can (or will) you lift a 50lbs door?

chances are you won't have to worry about performing the window exit duties...but if the need arises...
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by zman
If the FA is doing their job they will request u to move.
Good grief. She's pregnant, not disabled. If she's in decent shape and comfortable lifting and moving objects (like her rollaboard), why on earth wouldn't she be able to perform the exit row duties if necessary?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Good grief. She's pregnant, not disabled. If she's in decent shape and comfortable lifting and moving objects (like her rollaboard), why on earth wouldn't she be able to perform the exit row duties if necessary?
Exactly, if Mrs. Flyer23 can lift just fine and have no problems, then by all means, sit there and you have no worries.

Did hear of a woman request the F/A to lift her bag into an overhead bin on some flight. F/A assisted her in finding a space, and did help her after the woman lifted her bag 50% of the way.

When the F/A went to do the exit row briefing, she saw this same woman sitting at the seats. Well, that brought up a problem...if the woman could not lift her own bag, she could not lift the door if needed, so the woman was moved.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
Well, think of it this way, if you can't (or won't because you're pregnant) lift your own roller-board bag, can you lift a 50lbs door?
The OP didn't state she couldn't or wouldn't, another pax told her she shouldn't. The OP's afraid an FA will think the same thing. Up until a moment ago, I would have told her she's silly to worry... I've changed my mind. Apparently there are quite a few who equate pregnant with less capable.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
Exactly, if Mrs. Flyer23 can lift just fine and have no problems, then by all means, sit there and you have no worries.

<snip>

When the F/A went to do the exit row briefing, she saw this same woman sitting at the seats. Well, that brought up a problem...if the woman could not lift her own bag, she could not lift the door if needed, so the woman was moved.
OK, I follow you. And I agree completely. Anyone incapable or unwilling to lift their own bag has no business sitting in an exit row.

(Sorry I got a bit defensive in my last post. This thread really pushed some buttons with me.)
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Silver, HH Silver
Speaking from personal experience, you *will* get funny looks. They will start with the ticket agent, followed by the TSA guys, the people next to you in the security line, and anyone within about 30 miles of the airport.

"Gee, are you going to have the baby on the plane?"
"You look awfully big to be flying."

Blah blah blah.

If you're comfortable with the prospect of dealing with a 50-pound door, and are assertive enough to deal with the idiots, then more power to you.

My last pre-baby flight was at about 30 weeks. One hour (not in the exit row), and the stupids were out in full force.

It's good training. Just wait until you see the looks you get when you board with an external rather than internal baby.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:27 pm

lol, no worries.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:34 pm

In my experience, 33 week pregnant women are quite capable of almost anything. I wouldn't have a problem if I were on a flight and a 7 month pregnant woman was in the exit row.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Just to be clear. I agree 100% that anyone incapable of lifting a rollaboard into an overhead bin should not be sitting in an exit row.

But even now, I am still perfectly capable of lifting my rollaboard into the overhead bin. The comment I mentioned was from another passenger and it was made as I was placing said bag into said bin, without asking for any assistance. In fact, the full comment was, "Good job! But you know, you shouldn't be lifting that right now."

I am still in good shape, still lift weights regularly at the gym, still run 2-3 miles a day. I have no doubt that I could lift a 50 lb door. I'm not asking for any rules to be bent for me. I'm just asking that I be allowed to determine what I'm capable of doing, since I think I know myself and my capabilities better than a FA.

Originally Posted by JGR01
With the flight being a 757 why not attempt to book the seats 9A/9B (exit rows at door 2L) [or 7D/7E if ex-TWA] as there is a FA jump seated right there and the door is a full sized door not a window plug.
Row 9 is booked on the way out. It's an option on the way back, but since that is still an exit row, the FA could still boot me out if s/he felt that my pregnancy might prevent me from performing exit row duties (even if those duties would be nothing more than opening a door).

Originally Posted by RDUWanderer
It's good training. Just wait until you see the looks you get when you board with an external rather than internal baby.
Good point
Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
I am still in good shape, still lift weights regularly at the gym, still run 2-3 miles a day. I have no doubt that I could lift a 50 lb door. I'm not asking for any rules to be bent for me. I'm just asking that I be allowed to determine what I'm capable of doing, since I think I know myself and my capabilities better than a FA.

Good point
If the FA asks- thats your answer!! I doubt the FA will argue with you since they take everyones word they they are exit qualified.

YOu can also say that your Doctor or Midwife has not restricted you from lifting 50lbs.

Good Luck on the exit row and your pregnancy!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.