Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No standby on International itineraries? A big downside to AA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:38 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
I've flown standby DFW/LGW a few times without problem (both at DFW & LGW). Guess it's up to the gate agent to allow even though policy states different.
I've never had a problem either. I did it last Wednesday at DFW and was able to move to AA88 and enjoyed my second trip in NGBC.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
My suggestion is to tell them, not us. Whether or not we agree with you, the situation won't change until enough people tell them they don't like it.

Cheers.
If everyone on FT applied that policy, there would be no FT.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
First of all, are we sure this is an actual AA policy?
I'm pretty sure it is. I remember a few months ago, I was flying ORD-PVR...my booked routing was ORD-DFW-PVR. There was a non-stop that was wide open, but I was told the "you can't do standy on international tickets."
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I suspect that UNITED959 may have encountered a surly agent, not actual AA policy.
She was definitely no Miss Sunshine. When I inquired about upgrades, she replied with a knee-jerk, "Oh there's nothing" without even touching her keyboard. Or maybe she was so good she knew the loads of every flight leaving ORD at that time?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm pretty sure it is. I remember a few months ago, I was flying ORD-PVR...my booked routing was ORD-DFW-PVR. There was a non-stop that was wide open, but I was told the "you can't do standy on international tickets."
The emepirical evidence in this thread shows just as many agents who would say the exact opposite, so what the agent said is far from dispositive.

This thread closely resembles the thread asking if there is a "policy" that airport agents cannot process AAdvantage upgrades. Some agents have said "you can't do that" while others have been more than accomodating.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
If everyone on FT applied that policy, there would be no FT.
Disagree. There are plenty of things we can talk about that we can affect or learn about (which flights seem to have more upgrade availability, comparisons of routings, understanding existing convoluted rules, etc.) without whining about (admittedly unpopular) policies that we can't affect here.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by JAGMAP
2 out of the 3 times was for earlier, and the 3rd time I was ticketed on 51 (LGW/DFW 10:25a dep) and played dumb when I arrived (late) for #79 (2:00p dep). LGW ladies could not have been more accomodating (caveat: I used to fly out of there every 2-3 weeks so they knew me which is why I said it's really up to the agents).

Fare basis was always discounted Y.
I just tried to fly standby on AA 51 yesterday morning 3/18 (I was ticketed on AA 79) and I was told that the flight was full. I was told that if seats were available, I would "probably" have to pay the change fee.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
If I were running AA, I wouldn't give customers anything at all if they miss the flight on a non-refundable ticket. After all, they kept that seat for the customer, and it isn't their fault the customer wasn't in it.
Well, if I show up ontime and AA is running late, can I bill them for the cost of my time? I mean, it's not my fault they are running late.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: AA PLT
First of all, are we sure this is an actual AA policy? I flew AA two weeks ago - both directions, out of the U.S. and back into the U.S., I got onto flights as a standby.
It may vary by fare, but most international (but NOT Canada) AA fares include this paragraph in the rules:
WAITLIST AND STANDBY NOT PERMITTED.
or
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED STANDBY NOT PERMITTED.
Of course exceptions are always made, but the rule is there.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:12 pm

I have also done this in the past ... no problem!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:03 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I've done both ORD-LHR and LHR-ORD standby, as recently as January. Not sure if having Oneworld Emerald status may have helped, as I made the changes in the Flagship Lounge.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

if I show up ontime and AA is running late, can I bill them for the cost of my time?
No.

Its schedule is not guaranteed. Yours is, by virtue of your purchase of a non-refundable ticket.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Originally Posted by card1953
I just tried to fly standby on AA 51 yesterday morning 3/18 (I was ticketed on AA 79) and I was told that the flight was full. I was told that if seats were available, I would "probably" have to pay the change fee.
Should have PM'd me before going, could have told you who to check-in with If the flight was full though, you probably would have ended up in the middle of the 5 and who wants to travel for 9.5 hours that way?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by gemac
From AA's point of view, they sold you a seat on that flight. This meant that they could not sell that seat to someone else, so when you didn't show up, that seat flew empty. To give you another seat on another flight means that you are essentially getting two seats for the price of one.
This is a very strange defense of a no-standby policy because the problem you describe could be solved simply by allowing people to fly standby if there are empty seats available.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
This is a very strange defense of a no-standby policy because the problem you describe could be solved simply by allowing people to fly standby if there are empty seats available.
What I was chiming in on was a discussion of missing your scheduled flight and standing by on a later flight. There is no guarantee that I would be the only one standing by on that later flight. Probably not, and I could end up stranding someone else.

Basically, my opinion is that (in a perfect world) when you buy a non-refundable ticket that is changable only with a change fee, you should be charged that change fee only if you change the flight sufficiently in advance to permit a reasonable chance of selling that seat to someone else (perhaps a week in advance). Otherwise, you should eat the ticket. If you aren't sure when you will fly, you should buy a more flexible ticket and pay for that added flexibility. Some obvious exceptions, health, death in family, etc., but as a general rule. I think this would permit the airlines to do a much better job of managing loads and would raise revenue per seat mile, which would enable airlines to avoid periodic bankruptcy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.