Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA:" The only 3-class widebody service coast-to-coast!"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As far as AA is concerned (and, sadly, many others), LAX-JFK is the only coast-to-coast route in the US.
AA also has SFO-MIA (albeit a 2-cabin 767). UA does not have that nonstop (just MCO).
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mwhitted
Yes. But a 757 doesn't count as a widebody.

AA flies a mix of 762s and 763s SFO-JFK.

This isn't any worse than when UA had signs at LAX stating that they had the only lie-flat seats coast to coast. This was after AA introduced the 777 on LAX-MIA.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
AA flies a mix of 762s and 763s SFO-JFK.

This isn't any worse than when UA had signs at LAX stating that they had the only lie-flat seats coast to coast. This was after AA introduced the 777 on LAX-MIA.
Ummm... I think it is. AA didn't say that they ONLY fly 3-class widebody service coast-to-coast, they just said they're the only ones that do it. Which is true. And if UA said that they had the ONLY lie-flat seats coast to coast when AA had the 777 LAX-MIA, that would NOT be true.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Ummm... I think it is. AA didn't say that they ONLY fly 3-class widebody service coast-to-coast, they just said they're the only ones that do it. Which is true. And if UA said that they had the ONLY lie-flat seats coast to coast when AA had the 777 LAX-MIA, that would NOT be true.
Yes, the point I was making was that both statements are true most of the time. However, there are a few flights here and there (UA sometimes has 767 service to BOS from LAX) that negate each.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Deltahater
SFO-JFK does not count as coast-to-coast?
No.

Steve
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As far as AA is concerned (and, sadly, many others), LAX-JFK is the only coast-to-coast route in the US.
Maybe not as true as it was before Jet Blue and Virgin America announced plans to start up service out of SFO. This from the March 5 issue of Business Travel News:

American Airlines - an entrenched carrier on the New York-San Francisco route - said it would also expand service as the new kids enter the block. American in August plans to allocate an additional Boeing 767 for its San Francisco route, bringing sevice from five to six daily flights, senior VP of global sales David Cush said last month.

"This is a competitive response to Jet Blue," Cush said. "We do very well on that route with our five 767s today. We were able to go in with some of our efficiencies that we've been gaining in operations and fire up another 767. This looked like the place to put it. In general, what happens when you get a low-cost entrant into these markets, it does stimulate a lot of traffic and we'll be there to absorb the demand."
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
In general, what happens when you get a low-cost entrant into these markets, it does stimulate a lot of traffic and we'll be there to absorb the demand."
In AA-speak that usually means, "we will glut the market with so many seats at competitive prices that the low-cost entrant won't be able to make a buck and we will reduce capacity when the entrant goes away".

PS: And if the justice department raises eyebrows, we have our army of lawyers to bring into question the definition of "cost".
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
And what "coast" is IAD on? Looks to me to have a chunk of Maryland and the entire state of Delaware between it and the east coast.
And I guess JFK has about 1 mile of Long Island between it and the Atlantic...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by sllevin
No.

Steve
because....?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fraser
And I guess JFK has about 1 mile of Long Island between it and the Atlantic...
And don't forget, there is a beach, a roadway and a bike path between LAX and the Pacific Ocean
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by venk
In AA-speak that usually means, "we will glut the market with so many seats at competitive prices that the low-cost entrant won't be able to make a buck and we will reduce capacity when the entrant goes away".
And until then, you'll be seeing many familiar faces flying back and forth.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by qasr
I imagine they were referring to JFK, reference to UA 'only' flying narrowbodies on ps routes.

Of course they're wrong, but the more interesting point is: Why do people care about widebody vs. narrowbody? If anything, I'd take a ps 757 in F over a 767 in F...
so true....I flew a 757 F from ORD-MIA....and it was nice to have those huge seats....way better than the supposedly F on MD-80

I am taking a 757 F from DFW-SFO and thank god it is not an MD80...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by anaggie
so true....I flew a 757 F from ORD-MIA....and it was nice to have those huge seats....way better than the supposedly F on MD-80

I am taking a 757 F from DFW-SFO and thank god it is not an MD80...
I hope you don't think you were agreeing with me...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
I guess, it's a persoanl issue, but some people preffer widebodies for the following reasons:
1) with 2 aisles, the cart service is easier to manouver around.
2) heavier plane seems to mitigate turbulance.
3) larger cabin interior alieviates claustophobia.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Did AA forget about the service that provides the best premium class experience within the continent: CX JFK-YVR?? That definitely qualifies as coast to coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.