AA:" The only 3-class widebody service coast-to-coast!"

Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA:" The only 3-class widebody service coast-to-coast!"

boasted in radio ads in the L.A. market.

How about those 3-class 777s & 763s UA is flying for years on the LAX-IAD and SFO-IAD? Huh, AA?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I imagine they were referring to JFK, reference to UA 'only' flying narrowbodies on ps routes.

Of course they're wrong, but the more interesting point is: Why do people care about widebody vs. narrowbody? If anything, I'd take a ps 757 in F over a 767 in F...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As far as AA is concerned (and, sadly, many others), LAX-JFK is the only coast-to-coast route in the US.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Not really UA-related. I'll send this off to AA.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that this is somewhat of a cheap shot, but putting yourself in AA's shoes, you've got to find something (anything) to tout your service as better than other carriers' offerings, so it's not a far stretch to use the widebody angle. Besides, I think there are some people who think widebody = always better. This is capitalizes on that somewhat irrational assumption.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Agree that this is somewhat of a cheap shot, but putting yourself in AA's shoes, you've got to find something (anything) to tout your service as better than other carriers' offerings, so it's not a far stretch to use the widebody angle. Besides, I think there are some people who think widebody = always better. This is capitalizes on that somewhat irrational assumption.
About the only real advantage AA has in LAX-JFK is more frequency and a better F lounge in LAX (and probably soon in JFK). I don't know why flying widebodies is a better thing to advertise than those two things... (I know they DO advertise better schedule in LA.)
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qasr
About the only real advantage AA has in LAX-JFK is more frequency and a better F lounge in LAX (and probably soon in JFK). I don't know why flying widebodies is a better thing to advertise than those two things... (I know they DO advertise better schedule in LA.)
"the most first and business class seats between LAX and JFK" as the ad also touts.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As far as AA is concerned (and, sadly, many others), LAX-JFK is the only coast-to-coast route in the US.
SFO-JFK does not count as coast-to-coast?

Also, DL flies (or used to) do SAN-JFK...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
When Benjamin Disraeli ostensibly said "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics," marketing had not yet "evolved" to its present state. "The most first and business class seats" indeed! Self-serving, empty bloviating and puffery, and I wonder who is stupid enough to buy that particular message.

Now, ask me what I really think of it.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
"the most first and business class seats between LAX and JFK" as the ad also touts.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Well in AA's defense they are the only airline to fly widebodies on every flight on certain transcon routes. Yes IAD-SFO/LAX can see 777s and even the very occasional 747 but it can also see a 319. Equipment changes are derigeur on UA for that route.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by qasr
Uh, advertising the flagship lounge(s) is only useful for a certain portion of the market... the widebody angle cuts a broader swath among possible fliers.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
...How about those 3-class 777s & 763s UA is flying for years on the LAX-IAD and SFO-IAD? Huh, AA?
And what "coast" is IAD on? Looks to me to have a chunk of Maryland and the entire state of Delaware between it and the east coast.
Originally Posted by Deltahater
SFO-JFK does not count as coast-to-coast?
Yes. But a 757 doesn't count as a widebody.
Also, DL flies (or used to) do SAN-JFK...
Still do... on a 757. (See above.)
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sts603
Yes IAD-SFO/LAX can see 777s and even the very occasional 747 but it can also see a 319. Equipment changes are derigeur on UA for that route.

1) "can see": Widebodies have been continously and daily on that route for at least 10 years!

2) "de rigeur equipment changes": In well over a hundred widebody flights on those routes I have yet to experience a single downgrade from a 763, 777 or 744 to a narrow-body plane.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:56 pm
Suspended

UA really doesn't have any wide body three cabin "service" per se. Their service in F and C on widebody transcons (non ps) are pretty much identical, sadly. Service is most important to me, so I prefer ps F over AA AFS F, but all things being equal, I would take AA's seat on the widebody over UA's ps F seat.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

2) "de rigeur equipment changes": In well over a hundred widebody flights on those routes I have yet to experience a single downgrade from a 763, 777 or 744 to a narrow-body plane.
Didn't mean it that way. Meant that a flight number at a given time can often change from a 319 to 767 and back every couple of weeks based on UA's whims.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.