Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US-CDG Double Catering all March

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
US-CDG Double Catering all March

Took 42 ORD-CDG last Tuesday and we were double catered in proactive response to wildcat catering strikes in Paris. Because there is insuffiecient storage space for 2 full transatlantic services, certain items get cut.

Only thing I could see cut in J was the hot breakfast entree option and Duty Free was dropped for all (thank God-I don't want buy Calvin Klein fragrance for $7 off US retail anyway!)

Fortunately AA knows J passengers will revolt if the DVD player are not boarde-this time they handed them to passengers on the jetbridge as we boarded and stuck them in an overhead bin after collection.

Y got a small cardboard box snack-breakfast. Not sure if that is a downgrade from a small tray presentation.

Will be interesting to see what gets cut flying back to the US at the end of the month. They seem to have fine tuned the cuts to keep the service fairly normal. The cuts are more minimal each time I encouter a double catered flight.

If you're flying to CDG this month and are disappointed you can't buy an AA passport holder in flight, be thankful for what you are not missing, like spring water on the Y meal tray or the alternate dessert in J!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:19 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by pgppetch
Took 42 ORD-CDG last Tuesday and we were double catered in proactive response to wildcat catering strikes in Paris. Because there is insuffiecient storage space for 2 full transatlantic services, certain items get cut.

Would be VERY interested in someone's experience on the back half of that double catering CDG-ORD.

I wonder how much was cut out of that service .. typically when they double cater a plane may overnight (JFK-BDA-JFK) so the return catering is 'stable' for standing overnight without refrigeration. Like the milk for the cereal is Pamalot boxed milk and room (cabin) temp. No fresh fruit . no butter and no biscuits (bagels only).

Since AA tends to serve refrigerated entrees (at least in premium cabins) vs frozen and then heated foods I wonder what they serve CDG-ORD. Is there refrigeration on the planes for the catered food beyond dry ice (that is the mode on MD80s).
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by JGR01
Would be VERY interested in someone's experience on the back half of that double catering CDG-ORD.
Happened to me in December, JFK-CDG and back. Flying in Y. No duty free (^ ) As for food, the meal was pretty much the same as always (beef v. chicken but no pasta option), prepackaged cookie for dessert, parmalat milk for coffee, reduced choice of beverages and a snack box before arrival. We didn't run out of anything - but then again Y was about 1/2 empty.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
I'd much rather have AA be proactive and double cater instead of not having any food at all.

Matt
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:42 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
This happened last April as well; thread here.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM
Darn!
That's really too bad- the catering from France is usually SO much better. I guess we may need to bring a picnic along from CDG for our trip in a couple of weeks.

I agree, though, that we can live without the duty-free without any problem.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by bdemaria
No duty free (^ ).
Why do you get excited about the fact that there's no duty free? I have no interest in buying anything either, but I couldn't care less whether or not they offer it to others.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Blumie
Why do you get excited about the fact that there's no duty free? I have no interest in buying anything either, but I couldn't care less whether or not they offer it to others.
Because on my last flight from NRT the FA spent 2 times 20 mins walzing up and down the aisles yelling "DUTY FREE.... DUTY FREE"... waking everybody up. It was obnoxious to say the least....

No duty free allows the FAs to focus more on their actual tasks... like snickering about the pax in the galley...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold

I wonder how much was cut out of that service .. typically when they double cater a plane may overnight (JFK-BDA-JFK) so the return catering is 'stable' for standing overnight without refrigeration. Like the milk for the cereal is Pamalot boxed milk and room (cabin) temp. No fresh fruit . no butter and no biscuits (bagels only).

Since AA tends to serve refrigerated entrees (at least in premium cabins) vs frozen and then heated foods I wonder what they serve CDG-ORD. Is there refrigeration on the planes for the catered food beyond dry ice (that is the mode on MD80s).
The same thing happened in January. We experienced basically the normal meal service for dinner (lunch westbound) but the snack served 90 minutes prior to arrival was the 'snack box' that you pay $4 for domestically. The contents were inappropriate for breakfast, but worked fine for an afternoon munchie later.

I guess we were thankful that they were thinking ahead. CDG-DFW would be a long way to go with nothing to eat or drink.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Because on my last flight from NRT the FA spent 2 times 20 mins walzing up and down the aisles yelling "DUTY FREE.... DUTY FREE"... waking everybody up. It was obnoxious to say the least....

No duty free allows the FAs to focus more on their actual tasks... like snickering about the pax in the galley...
On a GRU-MIA flight last week (the one leaving at 12:30am), the F/A's passed through Y with signs printed on thick cardstock with an AA logo that said "Duty Free." Nothing was spoken. In J, they simply asked passengers if they wanted to purchase anything at the time the meal order was taken.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DCAstudent
On a GRU-MIA flight last week (the one leaving at 12:30am), the F/A's passed through Y with signs printed on thick cardstock with an AA logo that said "Duty Free." Nothing was spoken. In J, they simply asked passengers if they wanted to purchase anything at the time the meal order was taken.
That's consistent with my experience. A quick pass through the cabin. No pressured sales pitch. No waking up sleeping passengers.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Blumie
That's consistent with my experience. A quick pass through the cabin. No pressured sales pitch. No waking up sleeping passengers.
That would be the civilized way to do it. My crew would have put any Auschwitz guard to shame. I almost felt like needing to ask permission to use the restroom
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:14 am
Original Poster

None of the aircraft overnight in CDG-they fly overnight to CDG and return back within a few hours. Food requiring refridgeration IS served on the US bound double catered flights and the service tends to be pretty close to normal but is tweaked here and there as there just is not enough space for all the regular offering of a roundtrip on one 767.

I fly back the 22nd and will post what I encounter.

Last time I flew a double catered return, the seafood first course was omitted. Salad was offered with chilled slices of Chateaubriand as an optional addition. I think the alternate fruit based dessert was also omitted.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

The Service is pretty Normal

Flew 41 CDG ORD Thursday the 22nd and the service is the normal one in J except no duty free. They even had the menus which were missing on the double catered flight over. AA has really perfected double catering intercontinental flights from how they were doing it in 2003.

Had a really great IOR crew as well.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:52 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgppetch

Had a really great IOR crew as well.
IOR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.