Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

eVIPs / SWU - the COSTS and inability to upgrade I, O & Q (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eVIPs / SWU - the COSTS and inability to upgrade I, O & Q (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:04 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Your questions re: 767-300 business class seats have been asked dozens, if not hundreds of times. I think it all boils down to whether you want to take $70 to move to a higher fare class and risk it. BRP would do it. I would do it. I think every sane person here would do it just for the chance of getting the possibility of not being stuck in coach. But even you yourself said "it's worth it". Don't forget there will be a co-pay if you clear.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by albutt27
So a few months ago, I purchased a flight for my fiance and myself to Spain. Last week, I achieved EXP. I call the EXP desk to use my SWU. The agent says my fare Q cannot be upgradable. I read the brochure and sure enough that's what it says. My two complaints are:

1. I thought a Q fare would be something like priceline not something I directly book on AA. I've traveled on United on a tour group booking and was able to use my SWU with no problems.

2. To pay $70 to get on the next fare level just to get waitlisted. What if I don't get upgraded? Then, I would lose $140! I would rather be put on the waitlist and if confirmed then pay the $140. But the agent said this wasn't possible.

I don't want to pay $70 as I could just be throwing money away. What would you do?

Thanks!

Albutt
I don't like throwing money away either but you are now between a rock and a hard place since you have already purchased tix.

You could subscribe to EF and set up an alert. In this way you only purchase seats after you know that they will be upgradeable. The bad part is that there may be others who enter the waitlist prior to the seats becoming available.

good luck on whatever you choose to do.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by magic111
In this way you only purchase seats after you know that they will be upgradeable. The bad part is that there may be others who enter the waitlist prior to the seats becoming available.
The other problem with that is the cost of changing to an upgradable fare may go up as well once the cheaper buckets get zeroed out.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
So a few months ago, I purchased a flight for my fiance and myself to Spain. Last week, I achieved EXP. I call the EXP desk to use my SWU. The agent says my fare Q cannot be upgradable. I read the brochure and sure enough that's what it says. My two complaints are:

1. I thought a Q fare would be something like priceline not something I directly book on AA. I've traveled on United on a tour group booking and was able to use my SWU with no problems.
AA is not United. You can't really complain just because the rules are different to what you thought them to be. The information is clearly available on aa.com and in your EXP guide.

2. To pay $70 to get on the next fare level just to get waitlisted. What if I don't get upgraded? Then, I would lose $140! I would rather be put on the waitlist and if confirmed then pay the $140. But the agent said this wasn't possible.

I don't want to pay $70 as I could just be throwing money away. What would you do?
In your situation, I'd pay the $140 and get on the waitlist. The fare difference isn't huge. As for the chances of being upgraded, one factor you don't mention is how far in the future your flight is. Upgrade priority is based on request time within elite status so an EXP requesting an upgrade several months out is in with a very good chance of scoring the upgrade. If your flight is in a couple of weeks, there may already be several EXPs on the upgrade waitlist ahead of you.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_T
The other problem with that is the cost of changing to an upgradable fare may go up as well once the cheaper buckets get zeroed out.
Good point.

Makes the rock bigger and hard place harder.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Don't forget there will be a co-pay if you clear.
eVIP/SWUs don't have a co-pay. Sometimes there are additional "luxury" taxes for the higher class when departing international locations, but I don't think this is the case for travel from MAD.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:03 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by britenbsas
The information is clearly available on aa.com and in your EXP guide.
And in the wiki, and in the FAQ, more than once.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by magic111
Good point.

Makes the rock bigger and hard place harder.
Oh man, that's just what happened. Right after I hung up with them, I called back. They said the fare shot up an additional 700 bucks! Eeeks! Should have took it at 70. I guess we'll just be hanging back in coach and will use the SWU's on another trip. At least our layover to part of the way will be up front. =(

someone said it best earlier... AA lowest fares, does not mean the lowest upgradable fares!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent
700 bucks!
Keep calling back; things change; and maybe someone misread something. (Sounds like a pretty large change in such a short time)

Added: Might be the case that a lower upgradeable fare bucket zeroed out in the intervening time. Always a chance that Revenue Management might add more seats to that bucket as time goes on....or not.

Last edited by fanch26; Aug 7, 2009 at 10:17 am Reason: Addtional speculation
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
...I don't want to pay $70 as I could just be throwing money away. What would you do?
Since you are new to EXP, you didn't realize that your chances for the DFW<>MAD upgrades clearing are extremely good, esp. if you bought your ticket more than a month or so before departure. For example, since I reached EXP, I have used 13 eVIPs for transatlantic travel. Most were waitlisted, 100% cleared. Before that as PLT, I used miles+copay 12 times, again 100% cleared.... AND only a few of these rez were booked more than 2 weeks in
advance.

So, my conclusion: the $70 fare differential is a no-brainer, for an EXP, it's almost a "can't lose" investment.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by billgrates3
For example, since I reached EXP, I have used 13 eVIPs for transatlantic travel. Most were waitlisted, 100% cleared.
We are 35/36 over the past few years. Considering that most of these require two to clear, it speaks well of the clearing likelihood.

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
My first six EVIPs this year were applied and cleared when booking (MIA-RDU-LHR-AMS-LHR-ORD-MIA, MIA-LHR-ORD-MIA and MIA-ORD-LHR-ORD-MIA). I just booked MIA-ORD-MAN-LHR-MIA for September 3rd/8th and had to waitlist for the first time. The fare difference between Q and N was $47. Of course, I'll have to pay the difference in APD (about $60) from LHR if and when it clears. I feel it's a small price to pay for the chance to sit in a comfier seat and eat and drink myself silly for 8 hours!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by eightmillionmiler
For the first time in all the years that AA has been providing VIPs under all its guises for EXPs, their value to me has plummeted because it is near impossible to find routings without I inventory for business class. I typically have a good deal of flexibility on the dates I travel, at least 3-5 days either side, but now that competitive pricing at broad volumes is built on I fare basis, there is no way to have my company travel agent book flights that I can upgrade to first.
You can pick a flight with I0, even if there are other flights the same day with I availability? Sweet! I often have a choice of an AA flight with I or a UA flight with D at the same price.

I agree with your point that by offering the lower price in I, AA is losing business from some of their EXP members. Especially when UA has comparable fares in D.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Originally Posted by anabolism
You can pick a flight with I0, even if there are other flights the same day with I availability? Sweet!
More relevant, I might have a trip with some degrees of freedom on which day I arrive or leave, which would make the I0 day very attractive to me.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:39 am

Programs: AA PPro
This thread should probably also mention that AA now allows EVIPs to be used with Q fares:

Effective October 6, 2009, you can use your Systemwide Upgrades with published fare tickets booked in I or O class and fares booked in Q between North America and Asia, Europe, India or South America.

http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=/...ardChanges.jsp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ys-coming.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.