Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA allows I, O and Q Upgrade Awards + higher co-pays as of 6 Oct 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA allows I, O and Q Upgrade Awards + higher co-pays as of 6 Oct 2009

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation AA allows I, O and Q Upgrade Awards + higher co-pays as of 6 Oct 2009

Courtesy of an occasional FT poster:

Updates to AAdvantage Upgrade Awards

Based on feedback from our AAdvantage members, we are happy to announce the below changes related to AAdvantage Upgrade Awards effective October 6, 2009:

* Members may now upgrade to the next class of service from published fares booked in ‘O’, as well as fares booked in ‘Q’ for travel between North America and Europe, Asia, India or Latin America. Upgrades from these Discount Economy Class fares will be allowed effective immediately. Select the button below to view the mileage levels and applicable co-payment amounts.

* One-way upgrades from previously excluded Business Class fares booked in ‘I’, will now be allowed with a non-refundable co-payment:
o Within the continental U.S. and Canada - 15,000 miles plus a co-payment of $175*
o For travel between North America and Europe, Japan, China, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, or Uruguay – 25,000 miles plus a co-payment of $550
o For travel between North America and India – 40,000 miles plus a co-payment of $550"

And, courtesy of Gardyloo, below, eVIP / SWUs are now usable on O, Q and I as well! ^
See miamigrad's link (post # 17 below.)

Now, the other shoe fully drops:

"In addition, effective for Upgrade Awards requested on/after December 1, 2009, the non-refundable co-payment required when claiming one-way Upgrade Awards from most Discount Economy fares changes as follows:

• Wholly Within Continental U.S./Canada - $75
• Within and Between the Continental U.S./Canada/Mexico/The Caribbean - $50
• Continental U.S./Canada/Mexico/Caribbean to/from Hawaii - $175

Be sure to click on the "View Upgrade Award Chart" for the applicable popup window with all costs (miles + co-pays)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2010 at 7:11 am Reason: update
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

I've always felt that the domestic upgrade with miles+copay was a bad deal to begin with (especially as an EXP), so all-in-all, I'm rather happy with this change. Not having to upfare TATL flights will be nice.
Also, AA will avoid confusing potential UA defectors, like some recent FT posters we've had here, that confuse AA's eVIP restrictions with a structure like UA's Y/B/M. I remember the poster i'm thinking about thinking that AA required expensive fares too, when obviously you can still get a cheap fare that can be upgraded. Saying 'any fare, period' to those potential elites will have some sort of marketing advantage.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:16 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Just called the EXP desk and all the upgrade options are eligible using eVIPs, no co-pay.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Wow, this is fantastic! There is no better program than AAdvantage IHMO!!^ Way to go AA! This will make life so much easier now that the "low buckets" are now in "O"and "Q" and not always in "N" or "S" or whatever! I like it.^

Safe Travels
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Courtesy of an occasional FT poster:

"Updates to AAdvantage Upgrade Awards

Based on feedback from our AAdvantage members, we are happy to announce the below changes related to AAdvantage Upgrade Awards effective October 6, 2009:

* Members may now upgrade to the next class of service from published fares booked in ‘O’, as well as fares booked in ‘Q’ for travel between North America and Europe, Asia, India or Latin America. Upgrades from these Discount Economy Class fares will be allowed effective immediately. Select the button below to view the mileage levels and applicable co-payment amounts.

Are these amounts the copays from Y to J using O or Q as well as J to F using I?

* One-way upgrades from previously excluded Business Class fares booked in ‘I’, will now be allowed with a non-refundable co-payment:
o Within the continental U.S. and Canada - 15,000 miles plus a co-payment of $175*
o For travel between North America and Europe, Japan, China, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, or Uruguay – 25,000 miles plus a co-payment of $550
o For travel between North America and India – 40,000 miles plus a co-payment of $550"

Now, the other shoe fully drops:

"In addition, effective for Upgrade Awards requested on/after December 1, 2009, the non-refundable co-payment required when claiming one-way Upgrade Awards from most Discount Economy fares changes as follows:

* Within the continental U.S. / Canada - $75*
* Between the continental U.S. / Canada / Mexico / Caribbean to/from Hawaii - $175*"

Be sure to click on the "View Upgrade Award Chart" for the applicable popup window with all costs (miles + co-pays)
Are these amounts the copays from Y to J using O or Q as well as J to F using I?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Hooray! Great job AA
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:52 am
formerly DNPierson1

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Link didn't work for me---could you please repost?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Just called the EXP desk and all the upgrade options are eligible using eVIPs, no co-pay.
that is grrrrrreat ^
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Just did it

Upgraded an I fare LAX-NRT with an eVIP!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ORDflyer
Upgraded an I fare LAX-NRT with an eVIP!
Outstanding use of a VIP, imho.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
This is huge!!!

AA just won all my I fare tickets.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:05 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
So just to clarify, eVIPs will now work for upgrading I, O and Q fares to the next class of service without a copay?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:06 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by J.Edward
So just to clarify, eVIPs will now work for upgrading I, O and Q fares to the next class of service without a copay?
Roger that.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:07 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Roger that.
Sweet. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Excellent news! Except for the fact that I'd already booked my Christmas trip home to the UK in an "N" bucket. Think I can get them to "downfare" on this one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.