Wiki Posts
Search

EQPs after upgrading with miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
EQPs after upgrading with miles?

I know this is an FAQ, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this specific quesiton.

If you upgrade from coach to business with miles, do you get the 1.5 points/mile for he higher class of service?

I know if you upgrade with stickers you don't, and I was 99% positive the same went for mileage upgrades (since everywhere I read says "booking class"), but my friend who is challenging has had 2 AA phone agents insist that upgrading with miles gives you 1.5 points/mile. Am I wrong about this or is he going to be disappointed when he doesn't make his challenge?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You get the miles and points applicable to the fare paid and your original booking class, not the upgraded cabin in which you might sit.

Sometimes, mistakes are made and upgrades result in more points or bonus miles applicable to the upgrade class - but you shouldn't count on it.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never rely on reservations agents for details of the AAdvantage program.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:47 am
TR35R

I would believe it, if he got the same reply from at least another 5 AAgents.
Originally Posted by Tambreet
...but my friend who is challenging has had 2 AA phone agents insist that upgrading with miles gives you 1.5 points/mile. Am I wrong about this or is he going to be disappointed when he doesn't make his challenge?
I think you are not wrong.

Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
If they are booked in "Full Fare Economy Class" (B, Y) then they would get 1.5 points/mile.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Out of curiousity, why does the table on AA.com mention you get 150% for "purchased fares booked in" A, F, and P class? Is it possible to book an A class fare? I thought that bucket was just for upgrades.

Anyhow, it seems unanimous here, but my friend also just had an AAdvantage agent and her supervisor tell him he would get 1.5pts/mile for this upgrade (and it was not purchased as full fare economy). He paid $400 for the ticket ORD-LAS-ORD and used 30,000 and $50 (it's not clear to me what that $50 is for) to upgrade.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:52 pm

Out of curiousity, why does the table on AA.com mention you get 150% for "purchased fares booked in" A, F, and P class? Is it possible to book an A class fare? I thought that bucket was just for upgrades.
YUP fares book into A, as do certain discounted RTW tickets (IIRC).

Mike
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure it's possible to buy A fares - that's where most YUPs book. Most KUPs book in P. Additionally, I've sometimes seen A fares listed (usually not domestic flights).

RTW fares in First class are A fares as well.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Additionally, I've sometimes seen A fares listed (usually not domestic flights).
Yup, like this one. (Well, "listed" might not be the correct word...)
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt/MM 2.2, Priority Club PLT RAMB
$50 was probably for mileage upgrade award expedite fee.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond

Anyhow, it seems unanimous here, but my friend also just had an AAdvantage agent and her supervisor tell him he would get 1.5pts/mile for this upgrade (and it was not purchased as full fare economy). He paid $400 for the ticket ORD-LAS-ORD and used 30,000 and $50 (it's not clear to me what that $50 is for) to upgrade.
I hope he got it in writing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.