Connecting from Alaska in LAX and other California

Old Oct 2, 06, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Connecting from Alaska in LAX and other California

I'm looking at flights that offer connections from AA to Alaska in LAX or SFO. How difficult are these connections? Do you have to reclear security?
Old Oct 2, 06, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm looking at flights that offer connections from AA to Alaska in LAX or SFO. How difficult are these connections? Do you have to reclear security?
No, you don't have to reclear security at LAX. In Terminal 4, go to Gate 44 - the Eagle shuttle - and show them boarding passes (or an itinerary) indicating that you need to go to Terminal 3. You'll transfer at the Eagle terminal to another shuttle, which will take you to T3.

The last few times I've done this, the entire trip has taken less than 20 minutes.

Mike

Last edited by nako; Oct 2, 06 at 2:37 pm Reason: To clarify that this is the procedure for LAX
Old Oct 2, 06, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
At SFO you must reclear security and the easiest way is to take a quick 5-10 minute walk between the Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 (Terminal 2 is currently closed but you can walk through it).

As nako said, the LAX is easy to do airside, though wait times can get long depending on time of day. I think the 20 minute mark is a good estimate though. If you do want to reclear security you can of course, and the walk is about 10 minutes from AA to AS.
Old Oct 2, 06, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT; 1MM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nako
No, you don't have to reclear security at LAX. In Terminal 4, go to Gate 44 - the Eagle shuttle - and show them boarding passes (or an itinerary) indicating that you need to go to Terminal 3. You'll transfer at the Eagle terminal to another shuttle, which will take you to T3.

The last few times I've done this, the entire trip has taken less than 20 minutes.

Mike
As Mike mentioned, it is fairly easy and is exactly what we've had to do on our two most recent mr's. It really is a pain to take two seperate shuttles, but for the most part you won't have to wait more than 5-10 mins.

Make sure you leave plenty of time for your connections.
Old Oct 2, 06, 7:14 pm

All true except when coming in off a red-eye from HI and trying to connect to the 6am LAX-SEA. IIRC, the shuttle does not begin operating until 6am or so. This means you will have to exit T4 and re-clear security at T3.

Mike
Old Oct 2, 06, 10:36 pm

If you have to hoof it, the fastest way is to walk through the parking garage.
Old Oct 2, 06, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
No, you don't have to reclear security at LAX. In Terminal 4, go to Gate 44 - the Eagle shuttle - and show them boarding passes (or an itinerary) indicating that you need to go to Terminal 3.
Two weeks ago itinerary was not sufficient. Had to have a boarding pass. Unfortunately, Alaska had enough trouble printing a boarding pass for their own flight much less getting my connecting AA flight one to print. The lady was a real dragon about it. One of the five other contractors sitting there guarding the bus finally agreed to go with me to Alaska where they printed out the same itinerary I had already shown them. I guess the dot matrix looks more official than an inkjet.
Old Oct 3, 06, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
The "rules" say you have to have a boarding pass at LAX to use the shuttle, but usually the gate keepers will let you thru if you have a plausible story and a smile. Have a boarding pass if possible.

Search this Thread