Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best food at / in DFW for AA (and other) flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by zipadee
I must confess I've eaten four times at Cantina Laredo in the past two weeks at Terminal D at DFW. I love the nachos and am working my way through the 'ritas where you add a flavor (I've now had sangria, strawberry (Yum), mango and peach, four more to go I think).

As airport food and Tex Mex food (particularly when the standard is outside of Texas), it's quite good. I'm now going out of my way to get there even though my flights might be in A, B or C. (Group 2 was boarding when I got to a recent flight after lunch at Cantina Laredo. But I can attest if you tell 'em you are in a hurry they can get you in and out in under 30 minutes). I was quite tipsy after a couple of hours there Saturday night during a long layover. (It's an easy walk from Terminal B if anyone cares.....)

But I'm one of those grass maybe greener folks and I've noticed the Reta Grill nearby....so was wondering to hear comparison thoughts between the two. Is Reta worth a saunter over to or should I stick to the tried and true of nachos and 'ritas at Catina Laredo?

TIA.

Cantina Laredo is a local Dallas joint. Pretty good food at the restaurants, however, I have not eaten at the airport location. Gaylord, I assume, is the Gaylord Texan which is up the road from DFW a few miles. The Gaylord Texan is a huge resort/hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
I love the Cantina Laredo in DFW D. I always get the chicken enchiladas and they are always up in less than 5 minutes.

I tried Reata Grill's "signature" appetizer recently and it was oversalted and nasty. Back to Cantina Laredo for me ...
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Huh? Since when have London Indian restaurants have DFW branches?

Besides I found the food at Moti Mahal way overpriced and most unexciting I can name two dozen better Indian eateries in the city.

mike
I think Gaylord refers to the hotel and Moti Mahal refers to a restaurant in Richardson......(sorry for not saying DFW Terminal D in subject line of post initially, thanks to mods for adding that)

However, I guess a London restaurant could have a Dallas branch.....I've just discovered Hofbrauhaus has a Vegas branch and other US branches so I'm planning to add a Vegas mug this summer to my Munchen mug.....I've now made a vow to go to a Hofbrauhaus at least once a year.....LOL.....
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:41 pm

Hofbrau Haus in Vegas ... always a good time! Was there in February for our vespa rally.

At DFW your instincls are good; stick with Cantina Laredo unless you want BBQ. Cousins downstairs from Cantina Laredo in D is pretty good; many people say Dickeys by C6 is even better. (There was a DFW BBQ thread recently.)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by bobovespa
Hofbrau Haus in Vegas ... always a good time! Was there in February for our vespa rally.

At DFW your instincls are good; stick with Cantina Laredo unless you want BBQ. Cousins downstairs from Cantina Laredo in D is pretty good; many people say Dickeys by C6 is even better. (There was a DFW BBQ thread recently.)
Thank you re the Cantina Laredo advise!

Uh no thanks on BBQ not when I've got Arthur's, Gates and Fiorella Jack Stack just down the road from me......(MCI). The biggest bummer about switching from NW to AA was losing Interstate BBQ meals in MEM. I think Interstate is my very favorite BBQ restaurant of them all (although Jack Stack is a close competitor). I grew up on Memphis BBQ so I've never developed a taste for Texas BBQ even when living in east Texas.

I am curious about the Irish pub in Terminal D in DFW. I ate at the Hofbrauhaus in MUC and didn't care for the food compared to other biergartens. How's the food in Vegas or should I just stick to the drinking?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:30 pm
Suspended

I think Gaylord refers to the hotel and Moti Mahal refers to a restaurant in Richardson......(sorry for not saying DFW Terminal D in subject line of post initially, thanks to mods for adding that)

However, I guess a London restaurant could have a Dallas branch.....I've just discovered Hofbrauhaus has a Vegas branch and other US branches so I'm planning to add a Vegas mug this summer to my Munchen mug.....I've now made a vow to go to a Hofbrauhaus at least once a year.....LOL.....
Well am not sure what the poster was referring to but I do know that Moti Mahal and Gaylords are two of London top rated Indian restaurants. I would find it very, very odd and highly unlikely indeed if the mention of these two places in one sentence were not obliquely related.
Hofbrauhaus on the other hand is a somewhat generic and common German name.

mike
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:55 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I am curious about the Irish pub in Terminal D in DFW.
My wife and I do not care for Tigin Irish Pub. We find it overpriced and not very authentic. We do like Bennigans near gate D-13. Sure it's a chain, yet it's actually our favorite place to dine in DFW-D.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:59 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

Uh no thanks on BBQ not when I've got Arthur's, Gates and Fiorella Jack Stack just down the road from me......(MCI). The biggest bummer about switching from NW to AA was losing Interstate BBQ meals in MEM. I think Interstate is my very favorite BBQ restaurant of them all (although Jack Stack is a close competitor). I grew up on Memphis BBQ so I've never developed a taste for Texas BBQ even when living in east Texas.

I am curious about the Irish pub in Terminal D in DFW. I ate at the Hofbrauhaus in MUC and didn't care for the food compared to other biergartens. How's the food in Vegas or should I just stick to the drinking?
the irish pub is good. sometimes the service is slow but my favorite meal is the traditional irish breakfast and a bunch of stellas. i like it just as much leaving the country and when i come back.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:01 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by bobovespa
I love the Cantina Laredo in DFW D. I always get the chicken enchiladas and they are always up in less than 5 minutes.

I tried Reata Grill's "signature" appetizer recently and it was oversalted and nasty. Back to Cantina Laredo for me ...
i am a chicken nacho guy at cantina laredo but if you want meat i tend to think reata's may be better.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:35 pm

Uh no thanks on BBQ not when I've got Arthur's, Gates and Fiorella Jack Stack just down the road from me......(MCI).

I ate at the Hofbrauhaus in MUC and didn't care for the food compared to other biergartens. How's the food in Vegas or should I just stick to the drinking?

Mmm ... I do have fond memories of Arthur Bryant's burnt ends a few years ago!

The food at Hofbrauhaus in Vegas was better than you would expect ... way better than the Hard Rock Cafe there. You would have to pay me to go to another Hard Rock ... and feed me somewhere else first.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
I recommend Champps in DFW D terminal. Get the BBQ chicken sandwich. ^
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by envgeo
Cantina Laredo is a local Dallas joint. Pretty good food at the restaurants, however, I have not eaten at the airport location.
While not a bad place, it's really just a glorified and higher priced El Chicos. They changed the Lakewood El Chicos to a Cantina Laredo to squeeze a few more bucks out of us in East Dallas.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
While not a bad place, it's really just a glorified and higher priced El Chicos. They changed the Lakewood El Chicos to a Cantina Laredo to squeeze a few more bucks out of us in East Dallas.
The one in Addison is not a glorified "El Chico's". It is killer! (but then again, most every place in Addison's restaurant row is killer.)
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
As airport food and Tex Mex food (particularly when the standard is outside of Texas), it's quite good. TIA.
LOL, I have never found acceptable Tex Mex food outside of Texas yet.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 9:02 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Is Reta worth a saunter over to or should I stick to the tried and true of nachos and 'ritas at Catina Laredo?
Can't offer comparative comments, as we've never tried Cantina Laredo, but the food at the Reata has usually been very acceptable. Service is so-so: we've often had bored or lazy wait staff, but it's never been appalling.

Thanks to the comments here, we'll give the Laredo a try.

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Hofbrauhaus on the other hand is a somewhat generic and common German name.
There are indeed several establishments round the world using the Hofbräuhaus name these days, and reports suggest that some of them are pretty awful. Some are imitations, some are licensed. But that doesn't make the name generic: it's a registered trademark and usually refers to the original Hofbräuhaus in Munich.

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
My wife and I [...] like Bennigans near gate D-13.
Agree. It's not fine dining, but it's far better than we expected the first time we tried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.