Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: What is a SWU VIP eVIP SWUs? How does one work / long do they last? (Old)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: What is a SWU VIP eVIP SWUs? How does one work / long do they last? (Old)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:32 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
There are probably many things that frequent fliers don't like about the way that their programs operate. Things that are clearly stated in the rules of the program. I'm not sure of the benefit of coming here to whine about each and every one of these well-publicized things that we don't like. From your second post, it seems that you already knew about this before trying. From the first, I also got the impression that you were caught unaware. If the former is the case, I suggest more reading of the rules here so that you can avoid future surprise disappointments. As a starter- they do not give automatic 50% discounts to EXP, although I'd really like that.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Additionally, the fact that I can't book One World reward tix online is absurd. If I want to buy a reward ticket I'm basically limited to the five or six European AA destinations. Anything else and I need to sit on the phone for an hour.

Just venting on this Sunday morning. This is BS.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by brp
As a starter- they do not give automatic 50% discounts to EXP, although I'd really like that.

Cheers.
If AA were to ordinarily give 50% discounts but limited your ability as an Ex Plat to receive same, then your comparison would make sense. But it doesn't.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
If AA is going to reward me for being such a good customer, they shouldn't limit how I use that reward by restricting against using it with another customer-appreciation reward like frequent flyer miles.
Should those AA flyers that have 500 milers in account also be able to upgrade award tickets on domestic routes? For that matter, would you advocate flyers accumulating frequent flyer miles when they fly on award tickets? All those would certainly show customer appreciation, wouldn't they? Why limit it to systemwides on award tickets?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
If AA were to ordinarily give 50% discounts but limited your ability as an Ex Plat to receive same, then your comparison would make sense. But it doesn't.
It's just a program perk I'd like (just like upgrades on award tickets), but they don't offer it either. Oh well.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:02 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Additionally, the fact that I can't book One World reward tix online is absurd. If I want to buy a reward ticket I'm basically limited to the five or six European AA destinations. Anything else and I need to sit on the phone for an hour.

Just venting on this Sunday morning. This is BS.
My last award trip that included partners took less than 5 minutes to book on the phone. YMMV
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally make it to Ex Plat, rack up 200,000 miles and now I want to use them. I have a ticket booked for a weekender to Madrid and wanted to use one of my SWU's, but when I called the AAdvantage desk they told me that free upgrades are only on paid tix.
So you rack up 200k miles and get eight SWUs (maybe four more in January or February if you do the elite rewards) and you book a coach award ticket to Spain? Thinking that you'll be able to upgrade it? Why didn't you just book a business class award ticket? Or buy a cheap paid ticket and upgrade it?

Oh, the injustice.

The rule may suck but it's been the rule for many years, like since AAdvantage debuted in 1981. And it's pretty clearly stated in the rules in several places, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to you.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent
I am merely stating that it's a stupid rule. If AA is going to reward me for being such a good customer, they shouldn't limit how I use that reward by restricting against using it with another customer-appreciation reward like frequent flyer miles.
Upgrade Awards (SWU and miles (and often cash) Upgrades) are, in general, an incentive to get you to spend money on future flights with AA.

Upgrade Awards are trying to get you to be loyal to AA with future purchases (and fork over cash, at least in terms of the base ticket)

Travel Awards by straight miles are priced for the full cost of the class of travel. More miles spent, the higher class of travel (generally). Truly a "award" and AA gets no cash from you, but you need to buy it all in the currency of previously earned miles (from previously received cash)

The fact that the two types not cannot be combined does not seem stupid to me; seems they are trying to accomplish different things.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by FWAAA
So you rack up 200k miles and get eight SWUs (maybe four more in January or February if you do the elite rewards) and you book a coach award ticket to Spain? Thinking that you'll be able to upgrade it? Why didn't you just book a business class award ticket? Or buy a cheap paid ticket and upgrade it?

Oh, the injustice.

The rule may suck but it's been the rule for many years, like since AAdvantage debuted in 1981. And it's pretty clearly stated in the rules in several places, so it shouldn't have been a surprise to you.
+1 If they space is avail, you can book J or F seats with no additional cost (but obv more miles) on the same routing.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
^^^If the OP has flown 100k++ miles on AA, he/she should consider just using additional miles for a J/F redemption. As for upgrades on domestic tickets, AA is certainly behind DL who gives upgrades on award tickets to both Gold and Plat and now Diamond medallions, so that would be a welcomed addition. However, I can see AA's side of it that is EXP/PLT/GLD can upgrade a Y award ticket, they are less likely to get an F award.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm curious, -- what's the longest you've ever had to wait when using the EXP phone line? I've never waited more than about 45 seconds (and I do keep track), and I'm almost always connected immediately.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Several OW partner airlines have availability tools on their websites. If you use those to check availability before you call (basically the same process you would follow if you could book the ticket online at AA's website), the phone call takes about five minutes.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If I'd just made EXP, I'd certainly hie myself to the aa.com website and download the EXP PDF members' guide to maximize the benefits. And when I call the EXP desk for awards or the like, I am usually well armed with information (e.g. QF J award to Australia via BNE, as they often only think of MEL and SYD as Australian gateways.)

The only times I've had to wait for an inordinate length of time is if there are flight disruptions or if they have to call RM with a request to release a seat.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: United GS, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
I agree with OP on these 2 counts
- It should be possible to upgrade award tickets using SWUs. It is certainly my wish too. I realize AA will not get ticket revenue but they do eliminate liabilities in their account books as I will use miles for the award tickets.

- In this day and age, I really should not have to make a phone call to book any reservation. With young kids at home, I certainly find it easier to do "voice-less" communication

Lastly I am really disheartened by outright hostility shown at times in these forums. I do realize some newbies might make some mistakes but there is no reason to pounce on them.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I finally make it to Ex Plat, rack up 200,000 miles and now I want to use them. I have a ticket booked for a weekender to Madrid and wanted to use one of my SWU's, but when I called the AAdvantage desk they told me that free upgrades are only on paid tix.

That sucks!
You're using the wrong emoticon for humor!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.