Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a baby's diaper in F seat - SXM - MIA 6/10

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Advantage Platnium; Hertz Gold
Changing a baby's diaper in F seat - SXM - MIA 6/10

So...on the way back from SBH (AA SXM - MIA), there were two women across the aisle from my wife and I in first class with a baby. Now I am sure there is a whole array of opinion whether a baby should be in F (and this one was a screamer - but hey, if you pay for the seat...)...but when the mother decided to undress the baby and change is diaper WHILE SITTING IN F. She was in 4B so it wasn't a long walk to the lav. Sometimes people just make me go hmmmm

As my dad once said, just because you fly first class, doesnt mean you have any.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:09 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Well .. what plane type? I know a mommy with baby was complaining once about the lack of room in the AA-757 with the changing table down ... Perhaps Mommy was an EXP and KNEW that the aircraft type would not fit her, the kid, the diaper bag and all the stuff required. She may have reverted to the 'change in the seat mode' from experience.

I guess the other 'task' you failed to mention WHILE SITTING IN F .. was the 'baby nourishment' task. Over Memorial Day weekend I saw this occurring on an EAgle flight and at a gate in ORD. I am sure that nursing goes on in coach as well as first class more than we like to think.

You did not report on the disposition of the diaper (nappy for the UK-set). Did she HAND it to the FA for disposal or put it neatly into the seatback pocket??

Enquiring minds want to know the remainder of these details.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:11 pm

I sure wouldn't have liked to be there. I've seen many a decent person develop a type of psychosis when it comes to their cute adorable wonderful kiddies... as in not only are the little ones the most wonderful addition to humanity but the things that would otherwise be considered socially unacceptable, annoying, or even disgusting are suddenly made available for all to enjoy. I'm all for letting parents bask in the wonderment of parenthood but I do not need to see, hear, or smell the gory details that their loving relationship turns into personal pleasure but actually remain, in reality, quite unpleasant. Parenthood by necessity makes those little things tolerable but unless everyone around you is a parent of a newborn, best to adhere to social norms and seek some privacy.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've changed many a baby and toddler in Y and J and F (no, not on the infamously uncomfortable AA 757 which I have been succesful in avoiding and certainly not on RJs) and there's no excuse for changing a baby on a seat in any class on a regular jet. The toilets can be tight, but you don't need to take the diaper bag with you (just a clean diaper, a travel pack of wipes, ointment, and a ziploc bag to seal the soiled diaper into before disposing it).

However, there's no excuse for a mother not to be able to feed her baby the natural way (or, if you're religious, the way the Creator made us) in public (discreetely, of course) -- and with pride. Note that small babies feed as often as every 2 hours, and it's recommended/necessary during ascent and descent to avoid pressure-induced earaches (and loud crying disturbing the entire cabin), and that a mother may not be able to pump when traveling.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
It's a woman's right to nurse where she wants to. The changing poopy nappies is revolting but some people think the world revolves around junior.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:03 pm

If it is pee it isn't a big deal - I can change such a diaper in 10 seconds without bothering anyone. If its poo its disgusting. Seeing a baby (partially) undressed isn't a big deal either - though I'm just not that sensitive when it comes to baby nudity.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by erik123
If it is pee it isn't a big deal - I can change such a diaper in 10 seconds without bothering anyone. If its poo its disgusting. Seeing a baby (partially) undressed isn't a big deal either - though I'm just not that sensitive when it comes to baby nudity.
IMHO...
Be it either infantile body function, the cabin is no place for it. Had it been me I would have said something as soon as it became clear what was going on. I don't care if the lav is comfortable or not, the seat is NOT the place to change a baby.
Nursing is a completely different thing and perfectly legit. ^
Your idea of bother may be different than mine and the next person. For those of you who don't mind, bless you, but I mind. I think there are several of us out there who do. For that reason, and (all too un-)common sense dictating that the cabins are unsanitary enough as it is without a used diaper being cast about... I say go to the lav and do it.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by erik123
Totally agree. I bet I could have changed my boys' diapers of the pee variety without anyone knowing it while sitting in the F seat. And I definitely could feed them the natural way without raising any attention--have done it many times. But the poop diaper is disgusting.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Damm trailer trash.

You wouldn't be allowed to change you baby at the table in a restaurant, so why do people think a plane seat/tray is any different.

The FAA needs to get involved on this one. Where're talking about a health issue here.

BTW, what is the FAA's record on issues of aviation and cleanliness? Have they acted in any way before?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I do not understand the common American fear of the female breast in any context. (Yes, I'm American too.) When I think about the furor over two seconds of Janet Jackson's on a small screen, versus the acceptance of gory murders in full detail and color on that same medium, I just don't get it. Which is the greater danger to society, breast-feeding or murder? And which has just about everyone already seen anyhow, at least in a photograph or on a Web site?

Changing a baby on a seat is unsanitary, I don't think any of us would want to be the next person on that seat if we knew, but nursing? What on earth is the problem here?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Efrem
I do not understand the common American fear of the female breast in any context.
I LOVE seeing breasts. I HATE smelling crap.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Damm trailer trash.

You wouldn't be allowed to change you baby at the table in a restaurant, so why do people think a plane seat/tray is any different.

The FAA needs to get involved on this one. Where're talking about a health issue here.

BTW, what is the FAA's record on issues of aviation and cleanliness? Have they acted in any way before?
You have got to be kidding me.

Done properly - with a pad, sanitizer, wipes, and baggie to tie the whole thing up, NOTHING will ever touch the seat. Does it smell? Yes. Are there people who do not take the appropriate precautions. Yes.

Let's take this further. If there is no changing "tray" in the lav - and there are still planes out there without - just where are you supposed to change the diaper? Tell your infant not to poop? Please.

That being said, even though I literally do not fit in the lav when changing a diaper (the door has to stay open), I will use the lav for changing. But there are times when it's just not possible.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
You have got to be kidding me.

Done properly - with a pad, sanitizer, wipes, and baggie to tie the whole thing up, NOTHING will ever touch the seat. Does it smell? Yes. Are there people who do not take the appropriate precautions. Yes.
So you're saying it would be perfectly ok to change diapers on a restaurant tabletop? I mean, if done "properly"...
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:47 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
So you're saying it would be perfectly ok to change diapers on a restaurant tabletop? I mean, if done "properly"...
In a restaurant with a two square foot restroom, if any such thing exists, yes...
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
That being said, even though I literally do not fit in the lav when changing a diaper (the door has to stay open), I will use the lav for changing. But there are times when it's just not possible.
Since you use the lav (even though you don't fit), when is it "not possible"?

It's revolting and inconsiderate to change a diaper in the seat. Yes, even the "pee kind".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.