Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a baby's diaper in F seat - SXM - MIA 6/10

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Originally Posted by Blumie
The problem with that strategy is that I'll end up flying alone.
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Just hop in your Gulfstream and tell your pilot where you wanna go?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:36 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tenmoc
But I would pay 10-15% more per ticket to fly an airline that banned them.
I'd pay that, and more, not to have to fly with pompous self-righteous types but we all can't have what we want all the time can we?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by srallen
While I would certainly prefer to travel without the screaming of children, I would also prefer to travel without "the loud American", the "entitled debutant", and the "know-it-all businessman". Can we possibly segregate flights into separate areas for every group of people that can possibly be undesirable to another group? I think not.
Sure - there are limits to what you can accurately screen for. Screening for children under 12 years old would be plenty realistic I'd guess.

The fact is that I pay (use miles for) premium class service when I'm flying overnight and for long hours. Daytime and short flights, I don't care. I do this so I can sleep. If one out of a dozen people in a cabin screams for half that time, I'd say that the other passengers have every right to be a bit upset. Same goes for any passenger who might defecate in their seat and then remedy it right there on the spot. The FACT is that the overwhelming majority of the time that these two things happen, a young child (sure, maybe they have irresponsible parents) is at fault.

No one here seriously thinks that the airlines will take any action to ban children, drunks, people with very bad BO, or odd staring issues. Some of us just wish they would.

BZ
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by Vaze
I'd pay that, and more, not to have to fly with pompous self-righteous types but we all can't have what we want all the time can we?
No. But just as that would make you happy if those people were at least courteous of you, it would make me happy if parents of the majority of kids in america these days were courteous to the rest of us.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It's a woman's right to nurse where she wants to. The changing poopy nappies is revolting but some people think the world revolves around junior.
OP did not say poopy. It could have just been wet.

Some lavs do not have changing tables.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mwhitted
But if you want to ban ALL kids and I have kids that I want to travel with, the it IS about me, isn't it?
I don't want to ban all kids; just the ones with the lousy parents . I'm guessing that's not you.

Cheers.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 pm

Women Rally for the Right to Feed Their Babies on Airplanes
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:34 am

Programs: AA-plt
EMWV

everyones miles WILL vary
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: American, United
Originally Posted by benzlotkin
Sure - there are limits to what you can accurately screen for. Screening for children under 12 years old would be plenty realistic I'd guess.

The fact is that I pay (use miles for) premium class service when I'm flying overnight and for long hours. Daytime and short flights, I don't care. I do this so I can sleep. If one out of a dozen people in a cabin screams for half that time, I'd say that the other passengers have every right to be a bit upset. Same goes for any passenger who might defecate in their seat and then remedy it right there on the spot. The FACT is that the overwhelming majority of the time that these two things happen, a young child (sure, maybe they have irresponsible parents) is at fault.
Screening for children under 12 might be "realistic", but it is entirely unfair. It's profiling. And it does NOTHING to screen for their parents, who really need to deal with these situations.

The fact that you pay for (in whatever manner) premium service means that you pay for more room, more/better food/drinks, more flight attendants. It doesn't mean that you get to screen the other paying passengers to make sure that they make the grade that you (and others) decide is appropriate for that class of service.

If you can't sleep because of noise -- try the cheap and effective solution -- EARPLUGS. They _really_ work!!!!! Maybe having a 50 cent solution to a "first class premium issue" is not attractive, but it will work just fine.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by srallen
If you can't sleep because of noise -- try the cheap and effective solution -- EARPLUGS. They _really_ work!!!!! Maybe having a 50 cent solution to a "first class premium issue" is not attractive, but it will work just fine.
Last week when I traveled with my 8 week old, I brought an ample supply of earplugs for the whole flight (just a CRJ). The FAs and the other pax didn't believe I was serious untill I started passing them out. Everyone got a big kick out of it with the exception of my wife who was completely embarassed.

The ironic thing is that the baby didn't even make a sound on 4 flights.

Would anyone's view here change if the child was an elite. It is possible for my daughter to make PLT early next year.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:18 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
Originally Posted by veyismeer
I sure wouldn't have liked to be there. I've seen many a decent person develop a type of psychosis when it comes to their cute adorable wonderful kiddies... as in not only are the little ones the most wonderful addition to humanity but the things that would otherwise be considered socially unacceptable, annoying, or even disgusting are suddenly made available for all to enjoy. I'm all for letting parents bask in the wonderment of parenthood but I do not need to see, hear, or smell the gory details that their loving relationship turns into personal pleasure but actually remain, in reality, quite unpleasant. Parenthood by necessity makes those little things tolerable but unless everyone around you is a parent of a newborn, best to adhere to social norms and seek some privacy.
Well said. ^ ^
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by JPL9869
Last week when I traveled with my 8 week old, I brought an ample supply of earplugs for the whole flight (just a CRJ). The FAs and the other pax didn't believe I was serious untill I started passing them out. Everyone got a big kick out of it with the exception of my wife who was completely embarassed.

The ironic thing is that the baby didn't even make a sound on 4 flights.

Would anyone's view here change if the child was an elite. It is possible for my daughter to make PLT early next year.
Whether the reason for your child's excellent behavior is genetic or learned, you deserve praise for your awareness and effort. For the record, I am one passenger who routinely compliments parents when their young children are well behaved, and respectful of their fellow passengers. I see lots of well-behaved children on planes - AND HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THEM SITTING NEXT TO ME.

While this thread has been great fun, it has skewed towards a discussion which borders on a debate over the merits of having children. In the beginning, it was about the behavior of one parent (can't see that the child who soiled his/her diapers bears any blame). That parents behavior was, in the opinions of a few people here, wrong. Looking back over the thread, it seems clear that those who think it was acceptable to change a diaper in his/her seat, have children. Thus, they likely have greater sympathy for the "offenders" situation.

Some of us choose not to have children, and some of us probably try to avoid them at all costs. That's our call, and all we're saying is that we would welcome an alternative flying option that would be child free. Some people would love an airline for nudist smokers only, and that doesn't offend me at all - even though I would not be among their clientele.

BZ
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by benzlotkin
Whether the reason for your child's excellent behavior is genetic or learned, you deserve praise for your awareness and effort. For the record, I am one passenger who routinely compliments parents when their young children are well behaved, and respectful of their fellow passengers. I see lots of well-behaved children on planes - AND HAVE NO ISSUE WITH THEM SITTING NEXT TO ME.
Bravo! A voice of reason. ^
While this thread has been great fun, it has skewed towards a discussion which borders on a debate over the merits of having children....
And that would make THIS thread different than the 100 or so other "versions" of this topic different how? (It happens every time. About every 2-3 weeks it seems.)

Last edited by mwhitted; Nov 22, 2006 at 12:20 pm Reason: Weems?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, frequent WN patron
Originally Posted by SAN-man
Disclaimer: I have never changed a diaper on a seat. And I certainly wouldn't expose the cabin (no pun intended) to a smelly diaper. But the objections to some of the content here are funny to me. It sounds as if people here think that changing a wet diaper involves plopping a kid's bare butt on the tray table, tossing the old one onto the tray wet side down, wiping it around, and then closing everything up as is.

I'd be grossed out if someone used the tray table. But the seat itself? Putting a changing pad down on the seat and changing a wet diaper would take about 20 seconds, and nothing other than that pad would ever touch anything. It's certainly more sanitary than the people who stuff used kleenex in the seat back pocket, or the guy who picks his nose and wipes it all over the seat, or having the same kid sit in that very seat with a soaking wet diaper (trust me, they're not always 100% absorbent).
Why is it so hard to just take the child to the lav and change it there rather than changing it in the cabin? It's disgusting, even if it's "only" urine -- does anyone really want to argue that it would be acceptable for men to urinate in a bottle in the cabin, even if they were able to conceal their activities?. Excretions and bodily fluids do not belong in the cabin. Defecation and urination should take place in the lav, or should at least be cleaned up in the lav.

Parents: having a child is not a handicap. You're not one of the poor pax who is paralyzed and can't make it to the lav without major help. It's unfortunate that the lav doesn't meet your dream specs for a changing station but that doesn't mean it's appropriate to be changing soiled diapers 1 or 2 feet away from adults not involved in your choice to have children. You made your bed, now lay in it...

One of the most disgusting airline experiences I've had was with a parent/infant unit after the infant had peed in his pants. The "parent" proceeded to use a blanket (you know, the ones unsuspecting pax sleep on) to wipe the infant's wet body. Use the lav -- I realize it may be cramped and uncomfortable, but tough. You decided to have children, so maybe you should be the ones to suffer rather than those of us who had no say in the decision. I don't want to sit on seats that have been used to change soiled diapers, whether they're in Y or F. I don't want to be around infants who are soiling their diapers, either. No amount of commentary about flatulent adults or people who've wiped snot on their seats will make infant-changing behavior acceptable. I'm sorry that diapers don't always do the job the way you'd like them to, but again, you made the choice to have children, so I guess you can deal with the consequences of that decision.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, frequent WN patron
Originally Posted by mwhitted
The LAST few rows of course. Because we all know that families with children are second class citzens at best. Maybe we could stick the drunks back there too.
Is there a better option the other poster didn't consider? Most of the time, the infants aren't even flying in paid seats (I'm talking about domestic flights, I've heard international may be different) so I would think they should be happy with whatever seats they're given.

Where exactly would you suggest placing them? In the middle, where they annoy both the front and back of the plane? In first class, where they can annoy the premium pax? In the front of Y, where many airlines put their non-F elite fliers who probably don't want to be subjected to the smells and noise associated with families traveling with children? If the families with children are making noise comparable to "the drunks," maybe they should be sharing rows with them. For once, many of them might actually realize how annoying it is to sit next to noisy and boisterous pax in a tiny aluminum tube.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.