Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why obsess getting into AA first class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
The only people I know who worry about free drinks are poor grad students.

^ ^ So true.......
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL; AA PLT
I have to agree with the Original Poster, AA like all the other airlines have degraded the worth of their first class service. I was recently on the last flight out of DCA to MIA. The value of sitting in first was a waste of my upgrades. If I'd known that going into the flight I'd have exchange them for a sandwich.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:42 pm
pdb

Lots of posts for the OP to search on why getting into FC--even domestic--for the price of economy makes obvious good sense. No need for baiting or taking things personally. Yes, US domestic FC is improperly labeled, but fly BC intra-Europe and you don't see that great a difference.

Meanwhile, pre-flight beer or not, I'm looking forward to upgrading to FC on AA283 (MIA-LAX) and AA1520 (LAX-MIA) later this year when they are temporarily serviced by a 777--oh yeah...I may even obsess a little.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I came to AA from Delta because I hated the idea of having to pay extra to get an upgradeable fare - and then, having paid the extra $$, not getting the upgrade (usually as Gold Medallion) anyhow but not able to get a refund either. To make it worse, the letter they wrote me when I dared mention this to them was a total blow-off. I wish I had saved it - I could use it in my MBA classes (I'm the prof) as a classic example of how not to treat a good customer.

Granted, they've backed off on a few of the most outrageous policies since then, but not on all of them. And from what I saw of both carriers' F at the time and more recently, there isn't a heck of a lot to choose between them. To paraphrase the OP, you have little option in the Atlanta or Cincinnati markets, but why does anyone applaud this lousy service from a 2 bit airline that seems to do all it can to p¡ss off its best customers and drive itself into bankruptcy? (I haven't seen anyone start a "Save AAdvantage" movement yet. I don't think I will.)

Last edited by Efrem; Jun 13, 2006 at 8:13 am Reason: fix typo (can't spell "Cincinnati" since leaving DL)
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I can't understand why so much bandwidth has been wasted on answering this ridiculous question.
Originally Posted by atmd
Why obsess getting into AA first class?
Wild guess: could it be because it's better than coach on any other airline?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Ooh, Ooh! I think I know the answer to this one:

Because it's a lot better than coach?

Not quite. F isn't that much better than Y, Y is just that much worse than F. And yes, there is a difference between those statements .
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
One huge advantage of domestic first is that you dont' have to worry about the person next to you crowding into your space. I'm a big guy and I like the fact that domestic first is big enough that I don't have to worry that I might encrouch into someone else's personal space.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:25 am

Why obsess getting into first class?
Who's obsessing? Do you have OCD?

Do people actually pay for this intentionally?
Domestic first is not international first. It's funny that you think so.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:43 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
I am not sure what is worse, whining about a "proper sundae service' on an HNL flight - .
Warning - Thread HiJack
Speaking of whining about the sundae service on the HNL flights... have they "fixed" that yet?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
Originally Posted by Efrem
I came to AA from Delta because I hated the idea of having to pay extra to get an upgradeable fare - and then, having paid the extra $$, not getting the upgrade (usually as Gold Medallion) anyhow but not able to get a refund either. To make it worse, the letter they wrote me when I dared mention this to them was a total blow-off. I wish I had saved it - I could use it in my MBA classes (I'm the prof) as a classic example of how not to treat a good customer.
Granted, they've backed off on a few of the most outrageous policies since then, but not on all of them. And from what I saw of both carriers' F at the time and more recently, there isn't a heck of a lot to choose between them. To paraphrase the OP, you have little option in the Atlanta or Cincinnati markets, but why does anyone applaud this lousy service from a 2 bit airline that seems to do all it can to p¡ss off its best customers and drive itself into bankruptcy? (I haven't seen anyone start a "Save AAdvantage" movement yet. I don't think I will.)

Bingo!! I too am a Delta refugee. I was Silver Medallion (BFD). I NEVER got upgraded because if you were on a cheapo fare, you weren't entitled to diddly squat, other than priority boarding/checkin and other meaningless crap which cost DL nothing. They then changed to half credit towards elite status on cheap fares and touted this as an "enhancement". Every degradation to their FF program was an "enhancement". This, along with the almost total lack of Skysaver award availability was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Bah-bye DL, hello AA. Let those who remained loyal to DL help fund the DL pilot's sky-high salaries. My future airfare bucks would go (and still go) to AA.
At least DL will save thousands of dollars in costs by not having to provide folks like me with a crack at exit row seats and the chance to board a few minutes earlier than others. Unlike you, I never wrote to Delta regarding how I felt about their program changes. Any company who can screw you over and then tell you that getting it up the behind is actually an enhancement and something you should welcome, is too delusional to reason with or complain to. YMMV
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Let's also not forget. I have not personally flown DL F in several years since they close their DFW hub. Oh speaking of running from the competition it was DL that did that, not AA. Anyway, I have had several people tell me that on domestic flights in F drinks are serve in plastic cups. If that's the case whose F product has won the race to the bottom.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
I flew DL F on a trip about this time last year -- I purchased a YUP fare for a last-minute trip when AA was sold out. On four segments (SFO-ATL-CMH-CVG-SFO), I don't think the FAs ever served pre-departure drinks, although there was a small bottle of water at each seat when we boarded.

Honestly, I don't obsess about getting into F on any domestic airline. It's nice to have a bit more elbow room when I'm working on my laptop, but I can also survive quite nicely in coach.

Now my most recent trip, in BA Club World, first time on the top deck of a 747... that I obsessed over
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
On a 757, I find that AA always offers a predeparture drink when boarding through 2L (as they do in FLL). It's hit & miss when boarding through 1L, but if the aisle is cleared of boarding coach passengers in time, they usually offer it then as well. Not that I would make this the determining factor on whether or not I fly F.

YMMV.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by pkerr
Warning - Thread HiJack
Speaking of whining about the sundae service on the HNL flights... have they "fixed" that yet?
I'm going DFW-LAX-HNL and back in July. I will report my findings
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Jumpcut
On a 757, I find that AA always offers a predeparture drink when boarding through 2L (as they do in FLL). It's hit & miss when boarding through 1L, but if the aisle is cleared of boarding coach passengers in time, they usually offer it then as well. Not that I would make this the determining factor on whether or not I fly F.

YMMV.
I have found that as well. I think one of the probs with predep drinks now days, is with the planes as full as they are it is just difficult to do a consistent drink service as it seems to me on my last several flights the isles were full of people until they closed the door for departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.