FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Why obsess getting into AA first class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/568561-why-obsess-getting-into-aa-first-class.html)

atmd Jun 12, 2006 7:11 pm

Why obsess getting into AA first class?

I am sitting in AA first class at boarding time on a typical hot Dallas afternoon, thinking of how sweet a beer would taste just right now. But no, we have to get above 10,000 feet and our sassy surly FA has to actually get on her two feet (she has yet to collect the suit jacket from my bunkmate). Even if I had arrived early for the Admirals club again no beer.

As a Delta/CO refugee to AA, I ask, has it always been so pitiful in first class on this airline? Do people actually pay for this intentionally? Delta was never Singapore Air but at least I count count on a drink or two during boarding, a smile and quick and efficient coat check and free drinks in the lounge. What is all the fuss about such an upgrade? First Class with AA isn't much different than an exit seat in coach. Even with Delta we always had drink coupons for stints in coach.

Good grief all you American Airlines apologists, look around yourself and ask yourself why you put up with minimalist amenities. I realize that like me, you have little option in DFW and north Chicago markets. If that is the case I understand, but why do all you applaud this lousy service from a 2 bit airline that can't handle one bit of competition. I think you should be tearing down the Wright Admendment or clamoring for better flights. If we can't get better service than maybe we can each save a couple of hundred bucks on our way Phoenix via WN.

chris78cpr Jun 12, 2006 7:17 pm

AA has one of the most generous FF schemes around so im sure this is a factor.

And tbh, you kind of answered your own question....

""you have little option in DFW and north Chicago markets. If that is the case I understand""

There is not much choice i would assume for most people flying AA. And AA arn't all that bad btw. How many times have you flown AA dom F? I havn't flown it all that much but i find the service to be good, polite, helpfull and generally of the standard i would expect on a domestic F product. AA's Intl J and F is also a very good product. Not up to the standards of VS/BA/CX/QF/SQ etc, but for their main competition they easily match UA/DL/CO/NW and US in respective classes.

Also, if you are on an intl itin you get free drinks vouchers in the AC!

Chris

SNAGold Jun 12, 2006 7:24 pm

While not an apologist, some of those cutbacks have kept them out of BK. ;)

Mateo4321 Jun 12, 2006 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by atmd
I am sitting in AA first class at boarding time on a typical hot Dallas afternoon, thinking of how sweet a beer would taste just right now. But no, we have to get above 10,000 feet and our sassy surly FA has to actually get on her two feet (she has yet to collect the suit jacket from my bunkmate). Even if I had arrived early for the Admirals club again no beer.

As a Delta/CO refugee to AA, I ask, has it always been so pitiful in first class on this airline? Do people actually pay for this intentionally? Delta was never Singapore Air but at least I count count on a drink or two during boarding, a smile and quick and efficient coat check and free drinks in the lounge. What is all the fuss about such an upgrade? First Class with AA isn't much different than an exit seat in coach. Even with Delta we always had drink coupons for stints in coach.

Good grief all you American Airlines apologists, look around yourself and ask yourself why you put up with minimalist amenities. I realize that like me, you have little option in DFW and north Chicago markets. If that is the case I understand, but why do all you applaud this lousy service from a 2 bit airline that can't handle one bit of competition. I think you should be tearing down the Wright Admendment or clamoring for better flights. If we can't get better service than maybe we can each save a couple of hundred bucks on our way Phoenix via WN.

This is part of the reason I am a card carrying member of NW Worldclubs, I do not want to have to pay for drinks nor do I want to pay for wireless.

Since I bounce between ORD (prime base), BOS (secondary base), SFO (as of late) I found these to be of good value.

@ ORD I can take a quick walk to T2 for the NW/CO club or if I'm in the mood for just a libation I'll head over to the DL lounge in T3.

@ BOS I can go to the PC club in Terminal C outside security, albeit kind of a far walk from the AA gates.

@ SFO the CO & DL lounges are outside security, and it doesn't bother me to take the train to the AA gates when necessary.

CO by far has the best lounges out of any domestic carrier, although AA's FFP is hands down the winner.

AA's EXP by far is the best perk of any domestic frequent flyer program, and one day I hope to be one as well :)

olimaspecto Jun 12, 2006 7:28 pm

AA does have a very generous FF scheme both for upgrades and mileage redemptions. Additionally, it's J and F product internationally is pretty good (and once you get the new J seats it will be even better). Domestic F is generally decent and I do find the FAs relatively helpful in general.

Blumie Jun 12, 2006 7:32 pm

The OP is absolutely right, if you want a pre-departure drink, AA may not be the best choice. But I really can't imagine, and certainly have not experienced, that there's much difference in terms of domestic service among the major U.S. airlines. So some of us have chosen AA based on whether its domestic network works for us, others have chosen AA based on its and its partners' international network, and yet others have chosen AA because we think it has the best elite and frequent flyer programs in the industry. It's going to be hard to get us to switch becuase you're too cheap to buy a beer in the AC and have to wait 20 minutes to get a beer after departure. It certainly would be nice if you could get a free beer in the AC and a pre-departure drink, but it's not enough to make me switch. Does that make me an apologist?

ricktoronto Jun 12, 2006 7:47 pm

He forgot to say he is sitting there until the FA tells him to take his middle seat in coach that he paid for with his Q fare.

MIKESILV Jun 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Great we always seem to attract some clown who expects to endear him/she/itself to the board by calling us names.

You can always spot them ... a beer is all thats important in life :)
Flys F but cannot afford or too cheap to buy a drink?.
So suggest you scurrry back (do rats that had left a drowsing ship scurry?? :rolleyes: ) to BK land.

mike ( aka AA apologist on a two bit airline )

shadesofgrey1x Jun 12, 2006 7:54 pm

I do not know where the OP gets off on complaining about AA 1st versus Delta. Delta is almost as stingy as NW when it comes to food. The downgrade in DL First is why I switched from a DL Gold Medallion to an AA Plat years ago.

For those in AA who have not experienced DL 1st. I'll give you an example FLL-DFW DL 1st midday snack ( small dish of shredded carrots and Raisins in a vinegrette dressing ) ever get anything that bad going FLL-DFW on AA. And I was just in DL First on a FLL-ATL flight last fall and yes they also neglected to serve pre-departure drinks and collect the jackets.

Face it the predep drinks are going the way of coach meals fast. I never expect them at all and am mildly suprised when I get them. I did just have them on the evening DFW-FLL AA flight last Monday. So they stilll exist.

Oh and by the way to the OP if you like the exit so much versus 1st then take it. Most carriers will let you swap.Just ask the FA. Being an AA plat I will gladly trade you an exit for a 1st, even a bulkhead.

Sounds like a DL PAX just felt like drifting over here to bash AA.

inlanikai Jun 12, 2006 7:57 pm

Ooh, Ooh! I think I know the answer to this one:

Because it's a lot better than coach?

Blumie Jun 12, 2006 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by inlanikai
Ooh, Ooh! I think I know the answer to this one:

Because it's a lot better than coach?

Ding, ding, ding, ding.

DallasAudiGuy Jun 12, 2006 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by atmd

It never ceases to amaze me how people value free booze. I am not sure what the big deal is. Given the value of a drink is about $5. The only people I know who worry about free drinks are poor grad students.

I am not sure what is worse, whining about a "proper sundae service' on an HNL flight - or whining that DL gives away an extra $10-$15 worth of booze pre-flight.

Or maybe the "AA" you need to concern yourself with is not American Airlines??

I would support AA charging for booze in all cabins actually, and lowering the fares...that way I can have more money for my Sonoma Cutrer or Macallen 12 at home.

Oh - I'm 6-7 and 295, and I can tell you that there is a significant difference between an F seat and an exit row, especially for the poor SOB who is forced to sit next to me.

MACH81 Jun 12, 2006 8:08 pm

Only two segments in F so far this year.Got pre-departure drink both times and was asked for jacket both times, even though the 2nd time I wasn't wearing any.

bbkenney Jun 12, 2006 8:45 pm

As soon as AA wakes us and allows this board to decide policy....ice cold draft Stella on every flight, they take your suit coat and press it before they bring it back to you...etc.

And we will thank you to stay our of AA FC so the rest of us can have those crummy seats. If you'd bother to actually read the threads on here, most neither apologize for nor applaud AA. We mostly live in/travel to their hubs and have huge investments in Aadvantage. As soon as SQ begins their new DFW-ORD service I am outta here!

AH-64D Jun 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by DallasAudiGuy
It never ceases to amaze me how people value free booze. I am not sure what the big deal is.

It is a big deal because you can't have any legally until you are at least 18 year old. Many states you have to be 21 to touch the holy water. And when they give it to you for free in First and charge good money for the people in the back you know that you are the God of the sky when the seat belt light is off.

Nutin beats a free beer I tell u hwat. And another thing, in First I can tell the women to get me another beer and a blanket. At home, it is an impossible task.