Award Ticket Schedule Change

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Award Ticket Schedule Change

If this has been covered previously, don't flame me - search is not working right now.

At the end of June, I am returning from BVI on an award ticket. The first leg from EIS to SJU was originally booked on the 8:00AM flight. I wanted to book the later one at 10:20, but it was not available, and my request was turned down by yield management. Recently the 8:00AM was re-scheduled to a 7:40 departure, which is even worse for me. I'd like to re-request the later flight since AA changed the departure time.

Has anyone changed an award flight due to an AA schedule change, and are there any winning tactics? I realize that 20 minutes earlier isn't a huge deal, but I'm hoping for any edge to book the later one. Our connection at SJU is after 12:00. The 10:20 departure is the only one without award availability that day.
Old May 19, 2006, 4:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,Continental Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
From my understanding and from past experience you can change your award travel for times or for days (as long as award travel is available on the flights you want). The only rule is that you cannot change airports or cities. I'm not familiar with the airport codes, so if these are international then rules may change. I will defer to those who know the airport codes better than I do.
Old May 19, 2006, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by kat99
From my understanding and from past experience you can change your award travel for times or for days (as long as award travel is available on the flights you want). The only rule is that you cannot change airports or cities. I'm not familiar with the airport codes, so if these are international then rules may change. I will defer to those who know the airport codes better than I do.
Thw award ticket is not available on the later flight I would prefer. I'd like to try to leverage their schedule change to get me special dispensation for my preferred flight. But I don't think 20 minutes earlier is going to soften their hearts.
Old May 19, 2006, 5:25 pm

If you can spring the $$, buy that segment. We've done that many times to get a more reasonable schedule. Right now, I'm grinding my teeth over the late fall schedule. SJU to Tortola's last two flights are at 3:30 and 8:30 - with luck (and before our other segments get full), they'll wake up and put the 6:30pm flight back on. But then, in this day and age, who knows!
Old May 19, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I've been able to get both AA and HI to give me differnt flights...on the same day and to the same destination... when they changed flight times on me. I called their FF lines and was really nice to the agents...pointed out their change, the difficulty it posed and asked to move to a new flight. It worked both times...they were great...it's amazing how helpful many of the agents are when you are nice to them. Give it a try...good luck.
Old May 19, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
I've been able to get both AA and HI to give me differnt flights...on the same day and to the same destination... when they changed flight times on me. I called their FF lines and was really nice to the agents...pointed out their change, the difficulty it posed and asked to move to a new flight. It worked both times...they were great...it's amazing how helpful many of the agents are when you are nice to them. Give it a try...good luck.
My experience is the same. AA (and its partners) has been very helpful in dealing schedule changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.