Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will AA match fares for EXP's ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by r3guru
I've seen posted here that an unwritten benefit of EXP is that AA will match competetive fares.

Anyone have any recent experience of requesting such benefit?
ABOLUTELY NOT, DOES NOT HAPPEN
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I can recall being told this was an "unwritten" benefit of EXP way back in the day (before I became one in 2001).

I have yet to ever experience a fare match although I've not asked for one either. I have heard stories from three old-time EXPs that claim they have had them (all former FT posters who talked about some of these favors way back in the day - and this would have been back when JonNYC & kanebear were still CO guys, so I'm showing my true age in FT years here. I think that is how they ended up in FewMiles's list of undocumented benefits.

That said, I think that these types of things fall under what AA management came to call "Favors and Waivers" and around the start of 2002, it was reported by EXP desk agents that AA management was cracking down on "Favors and Waivers" being granted by the EXP agents.

Some of the "special" things that EXPs that I know well tell me they used to get from the EXP desk way back when:

* Fare matches (in VERY specific circumstances in apples-to-apples scenarios to existing published AA low fares on the same exact route, same city pair, same dates/times)

* The ability to call in and always request certain agents (where we came up with the term AAngel) to handle all travel requests

* Waived change fees (I had a lot of these done myself)

* Refares (not only an EXP benefit but used to be very easy to do)

* Special requests to yield management to release seats into certain inventory buckets (which is where some of these "fare match" type claims may actually have come from with bookings)

All of these were undocumented benefits. And yes, some of this stuff really DID take place - WAY back in the day. Hell, there was even one EXP I knew who would give the EXP desk phone number out to important clients to call, ask for his AAngel who would then take a message. He would then use the two digit code on the airphone to call the EXP desk free in flight (man I DO miss that benefit!) and retreive his messages.

That FAQ on undocumented benefits definitely needs a teensy update. 2001 has come and gone - and the old days of the EXP desk went away along time ago.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It doesn't happen. I think that's been very firmly established on previous threads on this exact subject.
that pretty much sums it up.....

but let the dreamers DREAM.....
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by techgirl
The ability to call in and always request certain agents (where we came up with the term AAngel) to handle all travel requests
that is still true.......
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Yep, still very true andrzej although I have been told that some agents have been discouraged from doing this if the number of "personal" customers they are handling ends up dropping the overall number of calls they can handle.

This is something that isn't so much a "policy change" as something folks have gotten hands slapped in personnel reviews for. And sadly, it appears to be a peer-turn-in-peer thing. I heard from one AAngel, for example, that her colleagues complained that they constantly had to transfer calls to her because she was being requested. You would think AA management would hold that up as a superior agent rather than slapping her hand, but we all figured out a long time ago to quit trying to figure out what management is thinking.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:27 am
Suspended

Yep, still very true andrzej although I have been told that some agents have been discouraged from doing this if the number of "personal" customers they are handling ends up dropping the overall number of calls they can handle.

This is something that isn't so much a "policy change" as something folks have gotten hands slapped in personnel reviews for. And sadly, it appears to be a peer-turn-in-peer thing. I heard from one AAngel, for example, that her colleagues complained that they constantly had to transfer calls to her because she was being requested. You would think AA management would hold that up as a superior agent rather than slapping her hand, but we all figured out a long time ago to quit trying to figure out what management is thinking.
Have a great time in BA! ^
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrzej
Have a great time in BA! ^
Thanks! You too (right?).

We'll only be there less than 24 hours. Going to have dinner with a friend and then we'll be on the early Buquebus to Uruguay the next morning where we'll spend a week before catching the quick MVD-EZE hop to link up with our flight home.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:47 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by 777-DCA
r3guru, it never hurts to call the EXP desk and ask if they will match the fare. Or you can try to e-mail AA and ask if they will match the fare. I would think that being an EXP might give you a better chance of them matching the fare.
Yes, keep calling back repeatedly. If you get the same AAgent 3 times, they will match any competitor's published fare.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
Yes, keep calling back repeatedly. If you get the same AAgent 3 times, they will match any competitor's published fare.
Or, just contact the posters who said "why not try?"-- get them on the project-- in their spare time, of course.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:56 am
Suspended

Thanks! You too (right?).

We'll only be there less than 24 hours. Going to have dinner with a friend and then we'll be on the early Buquebus to Uruguay the next morning where we'll spend a week before catching the quick MVD-EZE hop to link up with our flight home.
Going to GIG tonight and will be in EZE on the 10th....

this is so OT, but the subject is sooooo ridiculous that I don't mind doing it
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:40 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
When I started flying AA in '02 some of those things DID happen for me, even as a plat. I called in several times and had seats in C and A "shaken loose". Once I made EXP, the desk blocked off the seat next to me several times. Those were all things that happened. Sadly, the world changed, the airline industry went to hell, and it mostly went away. EXP is still the best top-tier status among the US majors IMO (based upon personal experience at CO and AA as well as reports here for other carriers). It's just not as good as it used to be. Then again, what is?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kanebear
When I started flying AA in '02 some of those things DID happen for me, even as a plat. I called in several times and had seats in C and A "shaken loose". Once I made EXP, the desk blocked off the seat next to me several times. Those were all things that happened. Sadly, the world changed, the airline industry went to hell, and it mostly went away. EXP is still the best top-tier status among the US majors IMO (based upon personal experience at CO and AA as well as reports here for other carriers). It's just not as good as it used to be. Then again, what is?
and this relates to the question, HOW
Old Mar 1, 2006, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, had a chance to ask bollar this question. Some of you oldtimers remember bollar. He has been an EXP since the days of the programs inception.

His response to me was:

Yes they did them but that went away with the VIP2. They wouldn't do a match if the fare basis wasn't available, but if their Y was $1800 and UA's Y was $1400 and AA had Y available, that's when you might get a match.

He then added the caveat (which is what I implied above):

But who knows what the policy was. The desk might have just had the latitude to do a favor.

Now the VIP2 went away after 2001 - and that would be the timeframe I reference above... so while I think some of our respected posters here are dead-on about current policy, that is the word of at least one of the posters I was referencing above who were posting prolificly back in the days that FewMiles first put his guide together several years ago.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It doesn't happen. I think that's been very firmly established on previous threads on this exact subject.
AA knows their revenue management. If an EXP has a better fare, AA probably doesn't mind you taking it as they have already maxed out that flight or the fare would be lower. People need to get over the "I am an EXP"...its not that big of deal anymore. Check out the PIL sometime...there are lots of us.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Okay, had a chance to ask bollar this question. Some of you oldtimers remember bollar. He has been an EXP since the days of the programs inception.

His response to me was:

Yes they did them but that went away with the VIP2. They wouldn't do a match if the fare basis wasn't available, but if their Y was $1800 and UA's Y was $1400 and AA had Y available, that's when you might get a match.

He then added the caveat (which is what I implied above):

But who knows what the policy was. The desk might have just had the latitude to do a favor.

Now the VIP2 went away after 2001 - and that would be the timeframe I reference above... so while I think some of our respected posters here are dead-on about current policy, that is the word of at least one of the posters I was referencing above who were posting prolificly back in the days that FewMiles first put his guide together several years ago.

Forgive my ignorance, but what was a VIP2?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.