Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest RJ Flight on AE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
BUF-DFW at 1212 miles is one of my least favorite. I don't imagine DFW-NAS or ORD-NAS at over 1300 each are much fun either.

Oops, I missed DCA Blondie's post of the latter two, but note that mileage has increased on AA.com to 1301 and 1311 respectively.

Last edited by yyzflyer; Feb 26, 2006 at 1:36 pm
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA PLT
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the DFW-SYR 1337 mile haul. I think I'd rather connect through ORD!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
They just announced new ORD-FPO (Bahamas) service on the weekend using a CR-7. Still, almost three hours in the plane. Ya gonna feel a little squeezed on the way to Paradise (Island).

FORT WORTH, Texas, Feb. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Eagle, the
regional affiliate of American Airlines, will add nonstop weekend jet service*
between Chicago O'Hare International Airport and Freeport, Bahamas, beginning
May 6. The new service will be offered each Saturday and Sunday through
Sept. 3, using 70-seat Canadair CRJ-700 jets.
This new service is in addition to American Eagle's daily nonstop jet
service between O'Hare and Nassau, which began last June.
The schedule for the new service* is as follows (all times local):

Chicago to Freeport (ORD-FPO)
Flight Departs Arrives Days
4477 1:10 p.m. 5:12 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Freeport to Chicago (FPO-ORD)
Flight Departs Arrives Days
4478 5:52 p.m. 8:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

*Subject to government approval

"We're pleased to expand our service from Chicago to The Islands of the
Bahamas," said American Eagle President Peter Bowler. "American Eagle provides
the only nonstop service from O'Hare to The Bahamas, reflecting our commitment
to introduce new and exciting destinations to our Chicago customers."
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
I had the longest flight I've ever had on an RJ yesterday. The actual flight was only from MSP to ORD, but the percepted time was lengthened by two youngsters, ages probably 6 and 3, flying with Daddy. Daddy brought Burger King and cokes on board for the little demons, so they would be really ramped up for the flight. My luck, they were seated right in front of me, with the 6 yr old on my side of the plane. He was constantly in motion and emitting piercing, objectionable sounds.

Daddy clearly expected the FA to babysit, as after the rug rats were strapped in he got out a book, The Rule of Four, and proceeded into oblivious reading.

The kids noisily tried to get his attention the rest of the way to Chicagp. Occasionally he would bark "what?" at them, but most of the time he ignored them. The little girl was screaming "I want my Mommy" by the time we landed.

My Bose headphones cut the sound a little, but that piercing noise that can only be made by young kids cut through. During taxi I was talking to my husband on the cell, and he was amazed at how loud they were.

I think the time I spent on the jetway waiting for my gate checked bag should count also, as Junior was having a full blown ear splitting fit about who got to push the stroller.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but this amusing flight fits.

SJC->SAN Airspace->LAX-SAN at about 3.5 hours.

This was Thanksgiving Day. Flew SJC-SAN. Got down there, came in lowish, then back up. Pilot said that he couldn't spot the runway...it was murky at 9:15AM. Then back up, and toward the northern part of San Diego. Pilot comes on to tell us that they're not allowing landing, and there are about 7 planes up there...it would be about 40 minutes....but we have about 10 minutes of fuel, so we're going to LAX. First they make it sound like we'll need alternate connections...but we sit a while, they refuel and we finally head down again. I saw that they only posted 500 miles base for this. maybe I should ask them to split the segments and give us miles for each

Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I was actively hoping for an extra segment when our pilot announced we were considering diverting to AFW. STL-AFW-DFW would have been cool.

Edit: To clarify, alas no diversion.

Last edited by KD5MDK; Dec 1, 2008 at 1:20 pm
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but this amusing flight fits.

SJC->SAN Airspace->LAX-SAN at about 3.5 hours.

This was Thanksgiving Day. Flew SJC-SAN. Got down there, came in lowish, then back up. Pilot said that he couldn't spot the runway...it was murky at 9:15AM. Then back up, and toward the northern part of San Diego. Pilot comes on to tell us that they're not allowing landing, and there are about 7 planes up there...it would be about 40 minutes....but we have about 10 minutes of fuel, so we're going to LAX. First they make it sound like we'll need alternate connections...but we sit a while, they refuel and we finally head down again. I saw that they only posted 500 miles base for this. maybe I should ask them to split the segments and give us miles for each

Cheers.
Single flight number = 1 segment and miles if going just between end points.
I think we lucked out due to upgrading one segment of a DUB-ORD-SFO single flight number, but the rule is one flight number makes the trip on that flight number post like a nonstop.

I once flew WN SJC-circle LA basin> SJC on a flight to BUR
All LAX airports were fogged in.
Back at SJC, it was time for another flight to BUR, so they offered everyone compensation to take a later flight.

By then, it was too late to see Universal that day, so we went to LAX less than an hour later.
I got $200 plus the value of my ticket, my companion got $200 as she was on a companion ticket (Buy One Get One promo)
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I think on AA, maybe like SJC-LAX. On any RJ, it was BDL-ORD on a UA CR7.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by DCA Blondie
RDU-AUS 1159 miles
ORD-NAS 1305 miles
DFW NAS 1297 miles
LGA-XNA 1141 miles
could someone explain how XNA gets a New York flight?! Is that cause of Tyson and/or Wal Mart?

And having flown two RJ flights in the past couple of days, I had forgotten how tight they can feel in the one seat, two seat configuration. I had no idea how much I prefer the two-two configuration on my RJ flights. And the single A seat may be an exit row but it's still a tight uncomfortable seat no matter how you slice it imo.

Last edited by zipadee; Dec 1, 2008 at 8:41 pm
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by zipadee
could someone explain how XNA gets a New York flight?! Is that cause of Tyson and/or Wal Mart?
Exactly. More info: http://www.atwonline.com/channels/ro...articleID=2293
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by rbessler

Thanks! Very informative. Which makes more baffling the guy on the Skylink at DFW Thanksgiving Day who drove from the Fayetteville area to MCI to fly MCI-DFW-MSP. I asked why he didn't fly out of LIT but he said MCI was closer by an hour and that he wanted a jet, not an RJ. (heck at that point, drive to MEM and go nonstop but assuming he was an AA elite)

But sounds like his home airport of XNA has jets?!?! So why not fly that? He was also wearing a Chiefs sweatshirt and Raiders sweatpants so I think he was just a very confused man.....
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by sonora
My Bose headphones cut the sound a little, but that piercing noise that can only be made by young kids cut through. During taxi I was talking to my husband on the cell, and he was amazed at how loud they were.
There are advantages to the noise-blocking in-ear earphones. They help a lot better in situations like this.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:56 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I can't see why you guys don't like the 3 hr RJ runs when you can do the same 3 hrs non-stop in a SAAB going ANC-DUT . But they do give free ear plugs and have plenty of snacks from a basket and coffee.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, SWA RR; MR Platinum; National EC Executive
Originally Posted by zipadee
Thanks! Very informative. Which makes more baffling the guy on the Skylink at DFW Thanksgiving Day who drove from the Fayetteville area to MCI to fly MCI-DFW-MSP. I asked why he didn't fly out of LIT but he said MCI was closer by an hour and that he wanted a jet, not an RJ. (heck at that point, drive to MEM and go nonstop but assuming he was an AA elite)

But sounds like his home airport of XNA has jets?!?! So why not fly that? He was also wearing a Chiefs sweatshirt and Raiders sweatpants so I think he was just a very confused man.....
XNA has Mad Dogs now that go to DFW 4 or 5 times a day....why didn't he do that?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
The longest for me was the now cancelled BTR-ORD on an ERJ. 810 miles, but not bad in 1A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.