Wiki Posts
Search

1.5X bonus miles for Y-UP fare?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
1.5X bonus miles for Y-UP fare?

Last week I flew EWR-DFW on a return segment where I requested a coach fare on the website, but was offered a First seat on the return segment. The EXP desk agent told me this was a Y-UP fare - the fare class showed up as "A" on my BP.

When I reviewed the miles posted to my account for this flight, I was awarded 1.5X "bonus" miles. 1376 base miles, plus 2064 bonus miles (listed on the same line in the miles summary on the web site). As expected, I also received 1.5X QP for this segment.

I've never purchased an F seat before - is this how it always works? I knew that the QP's would be 1.5X for full-fare or premium class purchases but I've never seen any rules offering bonus mileage before.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The answer is - Yup! B and Y class fares earn 1.5 EQP per EQM, along with J and F cabin fares from I to F. Miles earned should theoretically be the miles flown and your 100% bonus, but on occasion I have received an additional bonus. I am not sure if this is the difference between a common YxxUP and YUPP or just a computer glitch, but for some reason I wasn't motivated to call and inquire.

Added later: Class of Service bonus miles are NOT guaranteed with YUP fares - though some of us have received them, it can be so capricious as receiving them one way, not the other. Please read the complete thread for more on this issue...

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 21, 2006 at 12:18 pm Reason: add / correct
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
It's called a "Class of Service (COS)" bonus. Look here .

Note that these are not bonus EQMs, however, just regular miles.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
The answer is - Yup! B and Y class fares earn 1.5 EQP per EQM, along with J and F cabin fares from I to F.
I knew about the point bonus - but I actually also earned a MILES bonus.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
It's called a "Class of Service (COS)" bonus.
ah - I guess I never noticed that before on the web site. thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:18 pm

That's what I was addressing - I received an unexpected bonus, because near as I can tell by purchasing a YUP fare and flying in an F cabin I did not earn any Class Of Service bonus miles, any more than if I upgraded using miles, points, VIPs or my firstborn. But maybe brp has something here... we'll see.

Hey, I like gifts like that... I never look the bearer of gift miles in the mouth.

Originally Posted by slicktop
I knew about the point bonus - but I actually also earned a MILES bonus.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I upgraded my SFO-DFW-DCA flights with miles this past Friday. (Thank goodness based upon the madhouse scene at both gates, I don't think I would've cleared). The flights were booked into A as is the norm, but have posted to my account as C class, and I received 125% of the miles.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:31 pm

I hope AA is making a hAAbit of this - I checked my spreadsheets and saw I have earned no COS on some YUPs, and COS on others. I do recollect a discussion (I'm too lazy to look right now, ) on the different YUP fares - YUPP and YxxUP, so to speak, and maybe that gives the reason. Or maybe AA is just getting generous in IT's old age.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
The same thing happened to me as flyastrojets in this thread. At first I wondered if some of these transcons were somehow still loaded as AFS flights, where an upgrade would be to C class. However, that is obviously not the case. On my last two trips, this has happened on the outbound, but not the return.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, just about everything down to non-elite now, Avis PS
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I upgraded my SFO-DFW-DCA flights with miles this past Friday. (Thank goodness based upon the madhouse scene at both gates, I don't think I would've cleared). The flights were booked into A as is the norm, but have posted to my account as C class, and I received 125% of the miles.
I have yet another slightly-different data point - I did a miles upgrade on LGA-ORD-LAS last Friday, booked in A as expected, and the miles posted today with the class indicated as F and the 50% COS bonus. I've only seen F and Y for that class indicator (though I've never flown business on a 3-class other than stickers, so I don't know what I'd expect it to show).

On the other hand, when I did miles to AUA in January, the class showed up as Y and we did not get any COS bonus. I guess this is due to the special case of both mileage-upgrade and discount-First booking into A for 2-class domestics. (Wasn't there another letter of the alphabet they could use for that one?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.