Volunteers Needed?

Old Feb 21, 06, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CHM
Volunteers Needed?

I was on an AE flight this morning DFW-HOU. About 45 min before the scheduled departure time the GA came on and said they need at least 12 volunteers to be bumped for $250. Since I had the time and am running a little low on upgrades I was the first on the list.

About an hour after the scheduled departure time after they had boarded, I was called up by the GA along with two other PLTs who were 9 and 10 on the list. We were told that they were not going to use our seats and to go ahead and board. After we boarded 6 more people came on the plane.

I figure that the 12 needed was not a real number, and as such everyone just boarded and we took off an hour and half late. This did get me thinking, (dangerous I know) Does AA look at your status on the bump list or is it simply first come first served?
Old Feb 21, 06, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ipd054
Does AA look at your status on the bump list or is it simply first come first served?
The last couple of times I've been bumped, I believe it has strictly been based on order on the list, party size, and final destination. I imagine the gate agents have some latitude here, but I also imagine most of them would stick to something they could explain, in order not to be yelled at by those who aren't getting bumped.
Old Feb 21, 06, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Proobably a weight restriction rather than an oversell from what you're describing.

Search this Thread