Search

RUMOR: $75 Exit Row Charge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4M
I want to stir up the fat-pot.

Originally Posted by andrzej
If that rumor is true, and it is very possible, just like the upgrades for sale, I believe the exit row seats will be sold to the general public at the airport only. So chill out folks, AA is just looking for few extra $s, but it won't effect the elites, as long as you don't wait until the last minute.
So why stop there. Couldn't AA charge for seat-belt extenders as well? Maybe even charge people for each checked bag. (so much per bag)
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:13 am

I'm someone who could care less about F on a Mad Dog and is perfectly happy in the exit rows. I would definitely be outta here if this crazy rumor turned out to be true.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
So chill out folks,
I will NOT chill out... I WILL vent my irrational displeasure by posting messages about other silly charges AA can institute on an internet forum... you aren't the boss of me!!!

Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4M
exit row

Originally Posted by bigbrownboy
I'm someone who could care less about F on a Mad Dog and is perfectly happy in the exit rows. I would definitely be outta here if this crazy rumor turned out to be true.
So how well do big brown boys fit in the exit row?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by AlwaysAA
So why stop there. Couldn't AA charge for seat-belt extenders as well? Maybe even charge people for each checked bag. (so much per bag)

I'm not saying that some of these charges are the smartest business moves, but AA has been pretty good about protecting elite perks whenever they come up with these, so I just wanted to make that point.

Besides, exit row seat fees have been working for Virgin Atlantic for years, so there must be something there.......
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAA
So how well do big brown boys fit in the exit row?
Ha...the big is far from an accurate adjective of me--though I'm 6'2. It's purely alliterative.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:26 am

My Husband flew United from SAN to BUF last month on an award ticket using my miles. He is 6'5" tall and got there early to ask for an emergency row. They told him it was a $39 charge. Don't know if that was because he was on an award ticket or not, but he was shocked. If UA has started this, can AA be far behind?

PS - I've been a lurker for months. Finally decided to register. I want to thank you all for lots of good tips and information. I made PLT last year due to several trips to Glasgow for work. Hope to maintain it this year.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:42 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BLamb
My Husband flew United from SAN to BUF last month on an award ticket using my miles. He is 6'5" tall and got there early to ask for an emergency row. They told him it was a $39 charge. Don't know if that was because he was on an award ticket or not, but he was shocked. If UA has started this, can AA be far behind?
This was most likely the charge for E+ on UA. If your husband was an elite, he would not have to pay.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
A lot of the UK cheap carriers (and nearly all holiday company chartered flights) charge extra for bulkhead rows. Causes a lot of arguments at the airport (anyone seen the TV programme "Airline" in the UK ??? especially for the "passenger of size" that definitely needs an exit row.
I would hope that if they did bring in this charge, it would not apply to elites.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:02 am
21A

Besides, exit row seat fees have been working for Virgin Atlantic for years, so there must be something there.......
IME, they charge at the ticket counter, but they rarely sell, leaving them up for grabs at the gate or even onboard.

With UA charging far less than $75 for E+, I don't see this one sticking, but I guess you never know...
Old Jan 11, 2006, 4:49 am

If that rumor is true, and it is very possible, just like the upgrades for sale, I believe the exit row seats will be sold to the general public at the airport only. So chill out folks, AA is just looking for few extra $s, but it won't effect the elites, as long as you don't wait until the last minute.

CRAP, and I wanted to pay. What can I do to help AA?

Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TxAA Flyer
CRAP, and I wanted to pay. What can I do to help AA?

Buy full-fare F.

(hey, you asked)
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:11 am

Smells like a false rumor to me. Airlines are required to have able-bodied passengers in the exit rows. What if nobody pays the fee? What if someone who is unable to open the exit door wants to pay to sit there? This sounds like a nightmare of an administrative burden and an unenforceable policy. I wouldn't suggest that the readers of this thread get too worked up about this rumor.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Maybe it's a good thing for elites.

If (okay, big if):
- rumor is true
- charge waived for elites
- airport only

Non-status members can currently get these seats, free, on request, at the airport. If you've ever made a last minute flight change or flown standby, there's a good chance that the reason you couldn't get the exit row is that non-elites were there. If they charge non-elites for them, that's a dis-incentive for everyone else, and they are more likely to remain available.

Wishful thinking?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:30 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Deleted due to letting my emotions get the best of me...

Last edited by MJonTravel; Jan 11, 2006 at 9:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.